Wednesday 5 July 2017

QUICK TRIP TO SYDNEY.

Last week saw us head to Sydney for a few days to help my younger brother with an interview to access the new scheme they are rolling out here in Oz for disabled people.  All went reasonably well.
Whilst there we also caught up with family and friends.
We stayed south of Sydney due to the caravan park where we used to stay,  has now gone, so it was panic stations to find something suitable, inexpensive & with en-suite sites.  Found, though it did mean a bit of travelling back & forwards, but that was OK.
A lot of photos  taken of the week away, with a small selection here.  We stayed south of Sydney in an area we know well, having lived there for about 9 years before we came to Victoria.  I also spent a lot my childhood holidays & outings on the South Coast of NSW.

Typical countryside of the South Coast & a road we've travelled may times.

East Beach at Kiama, accessed from the caravan park where we stayed.

An action shot of hubby jumping across the running water.

Waves breaking on the rocks.  Most were small until this one came along.
What happens when these hit whilst standing staring out to sea.
                                                                           THIS!!!!!
You get very wet as hubby found out.

Then whilst waiting for me to make a cup of tea & with legs outstretched drying in the sun, this critter (duck) came along & bit him on the ankle.  I couldn't stop laughing!!  There must have been something tasty on his trouser leg.
On Saturday we visited my bestie from school, whom I've known since I was 5 1/2.  She minded me on my first day at a new school & we've kept in touch ever since, though there have been times when it was few and far between.  She said I could put this photo on & I do have a better one where I don't look so silly, but I don't know how to get it off my tablet.  This tech stuff does my head in at times.
                                                        Sue on the right & me on the left.

Now for a funny story before we head home with some more scenery.
On Sunday we met up with our older son & his family for a day at a Car Show.  We don't see a lot of A due to him being so far away, but it was a lovely day out. His partner J, our drandaughter Miss A, grandsons, B1, J & R all did a lot oohing & aahing over the vehicles on display.
One of them caught my eye.
Now remember, I'm an Aussie girl who had her teen years in the swinging sixties.
"Oh", I said, "What a bright orange panel van".  As the boys moved further along & Miss A was out of earshot, I laughingly told J, I was actually going to say, look at that 'shagging wagon', but thought better of it with the kids around.  She started laughing and said she was actually going to say that too, but thought I might not approve.  Whilst we were laughing about all this, a voice next to me said, "Really Nana", & Miss A had overheard us, but then she is nearly 21, so it was the laughter all round.
I forget she is all grown up now.
At the show we saw this and all agreed it could be on Pop's garage door.



Just a few more pics of the trip back home.
The bridge at Bateman's Bay which has a centre section that elevates to let boats through.

Wagonga Inlet at Narooma where we ate lunch.

We were asked to pull over by the police as this appeared coming the other way.
What was behind it?

This very large piece of equipment.
Our older son A, actually works on the mechanical side of things like this.

We stopped at the lookout to take some photos of Bega with the mountains in the distance.
It is quite stunning scenery all the way down the coast of NSW.

Threatening clouds that didn't amount to anything at all.

Just 2 more.
Closeup of flowers from an Illawarra Flame tree, that are dotted around the Wollongong area south of Sydney.
Not sure they are called this anymore, but what we said as kids.
On our lunch break on the last leg of our journey at Cann River, I took a photo of this old church.
I've said many times over the years, I should take one & now I have.


OK, enough from me and I will be back on the weekend, "hopefully", with some crafty bits 'n' bobs, that I've got on the go, to post about along with whatever else is happening in our part of the world.
Take care all and lots of huggles.
Susan.
PS.  Thanks to all who browsed my Scavenger Photo Hunt, as their were some newbies in there.  Ta!

19 comments:

  1. Lovely photos, I have not been into that part of the country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy. It's a great area to explore.

      Delete
  2. Well, I've laughed all the way through this post, what with hubby getting splashed at the beach, being bitten by a duck and you reminiscing about your wayward days! How lovely that you got to meet up with family and friends, it makes a trip all the more special. Hope your brother's interview went well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, glad it put a smile on your face. It was a lovely time away, catching up with everyone, but exhausting too, what with all the washing etc. when we got back. Nearly back to normal, whatever that is.

      Delete
  3. Short trips can be just as much fun and relaxing as long ones. Tomorrow I am off on a long weekend to see my eldest son and family and can't wait as it seems ages since I saw them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about short breaks too. Have a great time with your family, as I know how hard it is if they aren't close.

      Delete
  4. From this post and your email I can see you've been terribly busy! Hope you can take a few days rest now you're home. The scenery looks quite lovely where you were.

    Thought of you today as my travels took me just inside the Yorkshire Dales (but only just ....).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jayne, we have been busy, but enjoyed the week away & being on the NSW south coast. Lots of memories. Now I must busy myself with some craft & get some of my patterns out there with a friend.

      Delete
  5. You have been busy and you did make my chuckle at K's escapades! Some of your scenery and plants remind me of home and the story of the ... (we knew as a) 'Pashun waggun' amused me and reminded me that we had a rather fruity geography teacher who had something similar. He had a bit of a reputation (true or otherwise I have no idea) but his pashun waggun was black and supposedly saw some 'action'. Keep well and speak soon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. Sounds as though I had a few chuckles from some. I just realised that it was supposed to read shaggin' wagon & not with the 'g' on the end. I've never been in one but did hear about the shananikins (spelling probably incorrect) that went on in them, but they were (back then) mainly used by surfies to stay in overnight & catch the good waves next morning. I went to an all girls school, but also had a male geography teacher, who I'm sure wasn't fruity & found me a pain when he had to fill in a couple of times taking us for sport (usually cricket) & twice I caught a ball & dislocated a finger (lol).
      Whoops, long reply. Take care.

      Delete
  6. Lovely to see a photo of you and to catch up with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved the photo of you, and your comment about the "shagging wagon" did make me laugh. It looks like you had a great trip, thanks for sharing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian. The memories of our youth are something to treasure & share with others.

      Delete
  8. The duck story is so funny. I love that your and your friend from childhood still get together. I think you've got some good pictures to save for your challenges in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna & yes possibly lots of pics for the photo hunts, but just for our memories too.

      Delete
  9. Hello Susan, loved your post of your trip to Sydney..funny how the young ones disapprove...grin...somtimes with our Jess I feel like the child and Jess the Mum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lyn & it's lovely to be able to have a laugh with the grandchildren as they are now all getting older. 2 of the boys will turn 17 this year too. Ugh!

      Delete
  10. That looked a full but lovely trip! And what a lovely spot for lunch !

    ReplyDelete