Friday 24 July 2015

MUDDLED-HEADED WOMBAT!!!!

Yes, that's how I felt on Wednesday morning, after I pulled my large star quilt out to work on it.  This is the foundation paper pieced project I've been working on for many years, and have set myself a challenge to finish it this year.  Was I having a "seniors moment" or am I just dippy?  Took fabric and papers from box, unfolded said quilt then couldn't remember which way to cut fabric.  Was it right side up or wrong side?  Which side of the papers to place on said fabric, then suddenly I couldn't even remember which side to stitch.  Breathe, Susan, breathe and take your time thinking.  Ahhh, it all came after about 15 minutes of flipping and flopping fabric and paper.  And I did achieve something after all.

Said quilt awaiting last corner to be finished.
This is and two similar pieces were made by lunchtime, then put away for the outer corner section to be done over the weekend or next week. (maybe!).
For those unfamiliar with "foundation paper piecing", here are photos of front of star and the papers on the back.

Front

Back.  Sorry, but a little crumpled.
I've still not finished binding on small quilt because of very sore fingers, due to a new crop of CHILLBLAINS.  I have suffered with these every winter since I was born. Occasionally they get extra painful and I find it hard with just a few things like sewing with needle and thread, so started some crochet which is much easier.  This is what I'm doing.

Giant granny square rug.
I can do this easily whilst watching some of my favourite TV programs and just at the moment some new episodes are on.  Yeah, and The Ashes.

SATURDAY WALK.

I was going to post this Wednesday, but time and tiredness got the better of me.
We found a rail trail we'd not known about and started with a short part, although it was quite wet underfoot.  I'm looking forward to doing some more of it soon.

The 1km marker, though we did go further than this.

TEXTURES.
I've not posted these type of photos for a while, but took these whilst on the walk.  Enjoy!

Remains of the old bridge over Pilgrim Creek.

We think this 70 marker was for the speed allowed on this section.

Fungi, even though it's been so cold.


It was very muddy in parts.


WHOOPS!!!!

Something I overlooked when I wasn't feeling well, but this parcel arrived in the post and was a lovely surprise that brought both tears and smiles.


My lovely blog friend Hawthorn from I live, I love, I craft, I am me,  sent this.  She found the book at her local church book sale and immediately thought of me and my love for The Dales.  I've dipped in and out looking at the place names and have found it so interesting.  The postcard at the top was actually still in the book and postmarked 1994 and the bottom right of the three is a small notebook.
Aren't I so lucky.  Thanks Hawthorn for you thoughtfulness.

The weekend is supposed to be cold and wet, but we'll try and go out and I may have may start posting more often again with our exploits both at home and out and about.
Take care all,  Susan.


16 comments:

  1. I always find it takes me a couple of seams to "get back into it" when I return to foundation piecing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayne, I'm so glad I'm not the only one.

      Delete
  2. I'm like that with any project I've put down for a while. Your walk looks lovely, though I think wellies would be needed with that mud. A lovely gift, you know my love for the Yorkshire Dales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll admit to sometimes finding things difficult if they've been put away for a while too. Either wellies, which I must get a pair or walking boots which I do have. The little book is great.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad it's not just me who forgets how to do things. I've started writing everything down ... but sometimes I don't understand what I've written! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne, I'm now realising I'm not alone with the forgetting bit. I also write things down, find a bit of paper months later and wonder what it was all about too.

      Delete
  4. Join the club. When I go back to something I haven't done in a while I often have to reorient myself and figure out how it goes. You figured it out in the end, that's what counts. That quilt is going to be a gen when you finish it; it's beautiful now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Joanna. Gee, I'm realising I''m definitely not alone in this forgetting caper (lol).

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I have started on something and then not done it for a while I feel as though I am having to figure it all out again, so you are not alone! Somehow it is easier to start something totally new than it is to pick up on something I already started! The quilt looks fantastic! Lovely present from your friend as well which I am sure cheered you up. I hope that you have had a good weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's really hard picking up something you'v left off for a while, isn't it? I can't remember what crochet hook I was using for Bella's blanket. The quilt is amazing, you can tell there are hundreds of hours in there. I hope you get it finished soon. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian, I think my deadline is to get it to a stage ready for the big machine, and that will be my "birthday". Ugh! Next month. Hope you remember the size of your hook and haven't lost it.

      Delete
  8. That is an incredible quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, not sure whether I've told you the whole story of this quilt, but I will do at some stage, even if it's in an email and not on blog.

      Delete
  9. Your quilt will be awesome when it's finished. Strange hearing about the winter weather, but it's been pretty chilly here too, even though it's meant to be summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie, it's frosty again this morning. I've set a deadline for finishing the quilt this year, so hopefully I will.

      Delete