Wednesday 2 March 2016

EXTREMELY SPOILED!!!!

A GIFT FROM AFAR.

2 bobbins from an old spinning wheel.
My blogpal, Hawthorn, from I Live, I Love, I Craft, I am Me, sent me these, after she'd found them in the back of a cupboard, as she thought I'd love them.  They belonged to an elderly lady and still have wool she spun on them.  Beautiful items and such a sweet story.  Thanks so much Hawthorn, I do love them.

Just for now they are sitting alongside my recent purchase of the large one and 2 small cotton reels.  The one on the left was made by hubby, when I first gave him his lathe and the other was bought at The Stott Park Bobbin Mill in the Lakes District many, many years ago.
AT THE SHOW.

My other spoiling was at the recent Flower & Craft Show, in which I placed a few entries.  I do feel that my wins, shouldn't have really happened.  I put 3 quilts into 2 categories and won first in each and a second.  BUT!  Mine were the only entries in this section, along with 3 other quilts in slightly different categories.  Pity there weren't more.  I also entered 2 arrangements in the flower section and also got a first and second.  There were some other entries in this, so I was competing with others.
It is such a shame that these shows don't get more exhibitors.  All in all it was a lovely display of different crafts, produce and flowers.
My friend Janette's quilt with it's First Place card, along with some other items,, which also won prizes.  Aren't the Santas cute.

My prize cards pinned in place when I arrived there.
I am wondering if this card below, was the start of my love of entering into shows, although I don't do it nearly as often nowadays.

There is a year written on the back which reads 1954, so I was all of  5 years old.

It's been hot again with temperatures around the 30's and higher, which is not helping me get things done.  I've now quilted 5 of my so called book quilts, one completely bound, another two awaiting hand sewing and 2 that need binding found for them.  I have another ready for the machine and this is the backing it will have.

Pretty spectacular!
Hubby and I have been working on something I hope to be able to show next week.  Once it cools a little, I hope to be able to get back into some knitting.  I found some hanks of wool, I'd bought a long time ago and hubby helped me wind three balls from one of them and I've found a pattern I really like, so can't wait to start.  Some granny squares are being worked on occasionally of a night, along with bindings.
Just a quick midweek catchup and hope everyone is having a good one.
Take care,  Susan.

9 comments:

  1. Congrats on your wins, and do I detect a familiar journal on the shelf?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy and yes that is the journal you sent me.

      Delete
  2. A win's a win, don't knock it, well done. It's a shame that these type of shows aren't so well supported these days, I've heard the same said about the ones over here, though I must say that our local one is usually well attended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, and I wish some things were more like they used to be, but I suppose that's the way of the world these days. At least some of us love crafting.

      Delete
  3. Well done on your wins. Enjoy them, don't knock yourself down about the lack of very much competition for the 1st places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue and I'll try and remember what you said.

      Delete
  4. Well done on your wins a lot of work went into your entries so they were well deserved x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Five years old and you were winning flower awards; that's wonderful. You've been busy; congrats on winning. Your quilts may be the inspiration for someone for next year.

    ReplyDelete