Thursday 15 June 2017

A WEEKEND TO REMEMBER.

Yes, I've been away too long, but I do have an excuse.  We went to Bordertown to my friend Judy's for a Mystery Case Quilt Retreat Weekend. We took the caravan & hubby pottered about doing a few things & I went to sew, sew, sew.
I met up with my friend Joy & there were 8 other ladies, a few whom I've met before & some newbies to me too.
We arrived Friday afternoon at Judy's house & had some nibbles, then played Bingo to start choosing a card from 25 laid out on the table.  These were upside down, so we didn't know what we had.  Once everyone had chosen, we turned them over to see what we were going to sew for the weekend.  There were lots of oohs & aahs, then off to find our case.

This is what I got.



The pretty little case full of paper bags labelled 1 to 9 and full of pieces for me to sew, with pages of instructions and a picture.  Wow, lots of pieces, 33 in the chain block and 24 in the star.
Too much talking by me, unpicking and being slow, saw me actually end up with one block done by the time others had made many.

Pieced squares from Joy laid on the floor for photographing.

Chain sewing by Alison.

My lonely star block.
By Sunday afternoon, before I left for my own tea back at the caravan, this is what had been made by some of the others.


Alison's quilt done.

Val's quilt nearly finished.

One of Jean's blocks underway with the applique flower in place.

Alison also made another one of her own, since she finished so quickly.
This is for her grandson.

Cheryl's nearly finished.
Raelene's blocks laid out before the sashing went on.

Joy's done.

Whilst I haven't got photos of everyone's, due to my lack remembering to use my camera, you can  see what else was done by using the link I gave at the top of this post to Judy or Joy's blogs.

I did actually get this done for our final photo.
This is 2 of my five rows, the three borders are to be added.  
It will be finished by Spring!!  (I hope).

GROUP PHOTO.
Hubby took this photo of us on Monday morning before we left to wend our way back home.

On our way home, we took a slight detour to see these.

The silos at Brim.

Another photo with our car & van so you can see just how big they are.

These are at Sheep Hills.

And these ones at Rapunyup.
OK,  that's my lot for tonight, as I've now lost a few photos.
After we got home, it's been the usual chasing one's tail, washing & more washing, cleaning the van, grocery shopping, catching up on housework, a car club coffee & cake run, and then thinking about our upcoming trip to Sydney for my brother.
I'm definitely in high stress mode, but hope all is well out there in blogland for others.
Take care & huggles from Susan.

22 comments:

  1. Wow what a weekend! How wonderful to be in with like minded folk and with the added fun of the 'bingo' :) I've seen painted silos before but am always staggered at the sheer size of the art work! Brilliant post full of lovely photos xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. It was a great weekend & on the way home, when looking at the silos, I suggest to K, that maybe a certain lady we know could do some too!!!!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful and very busy time you have had. Quite a lot of sewing in a weekend so I am not surprised you didn't get finished. Love the silos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a brilliant weekend. I can't think of anything more fun than getting together with like minded friends for a bit of crafting. I do like that Spiderman quilt. The silos are wonderful, there's some very talented people out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, a wonderful time had by all. Aren't the silos amazing. I tried to put a link, but it wouldn't work, but I will try again, so you can see how it's done.

      Delete
  4. Thanks Susan, great post, and you had some photos that I didn't. All the best for the Sydney trip and I look forward to seeing a finish from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Judy, you are the one we all need to be thankful for, hosting these great weekends. It was the best & it is already on the design wall along with 2 other bits in progress. Still deciding about the strip of fabric I brought home with me. I'll also post about that "other" table runner soon. Take care.

      Delete
  5. Lovely work Susan,my friend Joy was there with you and you met my friend Lyn a couple of weeks ago,what a small world,lol xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've worked out who you are now & can't believe how small the world can be.

      Delete
    2. Lol Susan maybe we will meet one day too xx

      Delete
  6. That sounds like a nice retreat. I like the pattern and fabric you got, and your blocks look nice. Did you get to keep the cases? They are pretty, too, and nice for holding a project. Everybody seems to have accomplished alot in one weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna. It was great & yes we do keep the cases. All the others nearly had finished tops, but not me, as I was chatting too much & am very tortoise like at times, though I've finished 2 chain blocks today & do have lots of bits done.

      Delete
  7. It was such a fun weekend, and so glad you were there too! If I am back in Oz this time next year I want to go again :) Your quilt is going to be gorgeous, and you did get quite a lot done really - you just weren't there as long as we were! All the best in Sydney xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great fun & glad we could both make it & we'll be able to catch up with each other when you get back from Arabia later this year. I'll ring before you go & we are back from Sydney.

      Delete
  8. Hi Susan, I love the silos. I've never seen anything like that before x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lucie, you'd love them & maybe one day you can see them. I was only thinking I must email as I think I've missed a certain day? Take care.

      Delete
  9. What a fabulous idea for the retreat! I love your quilt,. Those silos are a sight to see. Enjoy your trip to Sydney Take care x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you & this is a late reply, but we enjoyed our little trip away & will hopefully blog about it soon & the Scavenger Hunt too.

      Delete
  10. Hi - just clicked on your link to see if you had done the Photo Treasure Hunt this month only to find this lovely post. What fun having a whole weekend of quilting. As for those silos...they are amazing. Never seen that before. Keep well, don't overdo it. xx

    ReplyDelete