Saturday 15 July 2017

CHILLING OUT.

Literally!!!
We enjoyed a day out on Thursday to chill out & relax, but we were also chilled to the bone, as it was very, very cold.
Before we go on the journey, I'll say 'thank you' to all your great suggestions & especially Kate, who made me giggle with her "tetris" comment.  Yes, playing with blocks could be likened to that.
THURSDAY.
I quickly made us some lunch, then we set out in sunshine & made our way down to the Mornington Peninsular, not too far, for my sea air fix, as being cooped up inside in this cold, damp weather makes me go bananas.  By the time we got to Hastings, it was nearly time for lunch, but a brisk walk first, along the foreshore was a must. What did we see?


Mangrove swamp, as the tide must have been out.
A small boat that sank & was too far gone to save & has been left to the elements.  Hubby read a little about it and realised that it had been renamed at some time & according to folk lore, that is very unlucky, so maybe that is why it ran aground.












These boats in the marina were all clinking away merrily due to the breezy conditions.

                                         The old shed used as the current Information Centre.

                                                                       Fascinating.

Lunch eaten & we were off again following the road on the eastern side of Western Port Bay, where we made our way in and out of a few of the bayside towns.
Our first stop was in a small parking area on the Foreshore Reserve near Woolleys Beach where I took the next 4 photos.

Two leaning trees framing the view.

Odd!

Chained.  This is quite near the sand & could have been used to tie boats to.

A lovely Hakea  & the woody buds which burst open to reveal the fluffy pink flowers. 
We kept on going down along the bay where I took a few more snaps quickly as it was starting to rain now.

Another old boat abandoned along the shoreline.

Not sure what this was, but it was worth photographing.

One of our native trees, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is called.

View of a headland.

This jetty was looking rather neglected, even though there were quite a few boats in the vicinity.  Maybe in summer it is used more often.
Ah, it was lovely getting a dose of sea (or should I say bay) air, even though frightfully cold.
Monday sees us minding 2 of our grandchildren whilst DD heads to work.  Master L & Missy Moo go back to school on the Tuesday, but Mum has to go back Monday.
Just a quick bit extra, with my indulgence last week.  Oh dear, I bought both a book & magazine & have taken this snap, along with a paperback I'm reading at the moment, from a pile I've had for years, but not yet read.

I'm enjoying The Rose Garden, & the kitchen one is a bookazine about kitchens, which I couldn't resist and She Sheds is right up my street.  Love it.
OK, enough from me now and I'm off to think about our tea.
Hope you all have a great weekend.
Take care,  Susan.

16 comments:

  1. Oh send me some sea air please! Missing my dose😕 the tree with the interesting roots ... was it a rubber fig tree? The smooth silvery bark and python like roots remind me of one. I giggled at your'She sheds' book. I will reveal why in a couple of weeks, I think you would approve xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I could pass along the sea air, even if brisk. Not sure about the name of that particular tree, but we do have large Moreton Bay Figs, which also have the most amazing multi-trunks & huge root systems. We used to play in amongst them when children living in Sydney. Lots of parks have them. I'm intrigued by the She Shed & think I may know what you are up to. Take care.

      Delete
  2. It makes a change to get out of the house when you've been cooped up because of the weather, I know it always does me good to get out and blow the cobwebs away. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks & yes Jo, in winter it's great to get out occasionally, & especially for me to the seaside. Having grown up on the coast in Sydney, I really miss it.

      Delete
  3. What a nice day out, weather permitting we're planning a few hours at the seaside tomorrow :)
    Not sure about the renaming a boat myth - we renamed our little canal boat after we bought her and she was a very lovely craft, and not at all unlucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayne. I wonder if your seaside trip will be as cool as ours or is your weather warming again? The boat renaming thing is just, that "a myth", so whether it is lucky or unlucky just adds to a story. It's what makes this world an interesting place.

      Delete
  4. Lovely to go for a seaside walk with you! I am intrigued to know more about the she sheds, do share when you have read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. I don't do review if that's what you mean, but so far it's great. When I finish (in amogst other things), I'll pop a quick update on what I thought.

      Delete
  5. Looks like a lovely day out! Wish you could send me some of that cold bay breeze!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy & if you weren't in the desert at the moment, you could share with us occasionally.

      Delete
  6. I just wonder what you call chilly?!! We are having reasonably warm weather at the moment in the UK. You obviously love trees like me and I take photos of those that are really quirky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah chilly! -3 at 7am with a good frost & only getting to about 10-11deg during the day. Remember, we also get temps of 40deg(don't like heat even more so than cold) in summer, so a very wide range of temperatures & I'm feeling it more so as I get older (ugh!). I adore trees & do take lots of pics.

      Delete
  7. i love a visit to the coast, nothing like it for resfreshing the lungs. You're right about that tree being fascinating ! I love the look of the She Sheds book. I may need to have a look t that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up on the coast in Sydney, so miss lovely sea air. The book was published this year & I think I borrowed another about women's sheds from the library last year & loved that too, but I was naughty & bought this one.

      Delete
  8. My library doesn't have The Rose Garden, but it did have other books by Marita McKenna, so I put Under the Hawthorn Tree on hold. I love the colors of the Hakea; nature does it perfectly. Enjoy your travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pity they don't as it's a lovely, very ordinary tale of what life is "really" like with no sensationalism. If there is anyway I can get in touch with you (maybe by email), we could have a chat as we've been blogpals for over 4 years & I could pass it on. Nature is the best.

      Delete