Sunday 13 August 2017

LOOKING!!!!!!

Well, where has the time gone since I last sat & posted.  Maybe, because we've been busy, both on the home front & out and about.

Thursday the 3rd, we popped on over to Bairnsdale to pick up another chuck for hubby's lathe & whilst in the vicinity went out to Paynesville, ate our picnic lunch then boarded the small ferry as pedestrians (free) to take the Koala Walk on Raymond Island.  It was very cold, but we so enjoyed.  I was doubtful if we'd see any grey woolly bumps in the trees, but oh, what a feast.  This could be a bit top heavy with photos.
                                                                 LOOKING DOWN.
The start of the walk from near the ferry 
LOOKING UP.



I had a sore neck, by the time we'd made it back to the water's edge.

LOOKING AHEAD.
 A Banksia tree in full flower.

And sipping nectar, is a lovely Rainbow Lorikeet.

We walked along here.

Came to this seating area where parents can watch their children paddling.

The ferry coming across the river.  It's not far & only takes about 5 minutes.

Looking across to Paynesville.

Looking along the river with the mountains in the distance.

A black swan crossing the path.


A plethora of birds......2 pelicans, many seagulls, 2 different sorts of shags & 2 swans aswimming.

                                                           LOOKING DOWN AGAIN.
Not the best, but here we have a jelly fish floating near the jetty.

LOOKING LEFT.
Now this was something I'd never seen before, both on the way to Paynesville & back.  Lucky for me they were still there for a photo on our way home.
So many black swans in a large paddock.  Usually you see them near water, but I think there might have been something tasty they were after in here.

LOOKING AGAIN.
Yesterday we needed milk, so popped out & also took a little trip to work out times for our Coffee/cake run next Wednesday & came home via a gravel road & spotted a paddock of these............
Kangaroos.
I've not seen so many this close to home, even though we use a lot of back roads in the area.  Lucky I had the camera in the car.



LOOK WHAT WE'VE BEEN UP TO TODAY.
Oh, BTW it is now Sunday & been reasonably warm after so many cold, inclement days, so hubby set about finishing these.  Um... just a couple of pics.
Busy, working, doing............

these.

Huuuuh!  This says it all.  I think he's glad that's nearly done.
We purchased a pressure washer yesterday too & the treads will look better for a wash, as will some of our paving once Spring is here.  These steps were timber & very narrow & as we aren't getting any younger, we decided before winter, that they needed to be wider.  We already find them so much better.
Although I'm sitting here doing this post, I've not been too idle with washing done, a Butterscotch Tart made & trying to finish this on the big machine.
A few UFO tablemats, that I popped onto the end of the Mystery Case quilt backing, which is rolled up behind.  I needed to do this, as I have a customer quilt coming in next week.  What!!!, you say. "But you don't do quilts now for other people".  Well, a friend popped in during last week & asked if I'd do one for her and I said yes. 
OK, I've babbled on for long enough & posted way too many pics, but I'm just catching up with what we've been up to.  Another busy week ahead, so may be quiet again till next weekend.
Take care all, have a good week & huggles from
Susan.
 

15 comments:

  1. Yes it was lovely to see the sun today, and I attacked some weeds.
    You are teasing knowing I am waiting to see the mystery quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not teasing, just trying to get on top of UFO's at the moment & not wasting anything either. You'll see it soon.

      Delete
  2. If there's one thing that makes me want to visit Australia it's the wildlife, I think I'd have set up camp for the day if I saw a koala in a tree, and all those kangaroos, wow, not to mention the black swans. What a great trip out. Well done to hubby, those steps look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd love it Jo, & I know it's the travel to here that stops a lot of people, but we do it in 3 legs, so you're not sitting at any time for more than 7 hours instead of the 12-14 hours on only 2 a 2 leg flight. Think about it!!!!

      Delete
  3. How wonderful to see so many koalas then all those beautiful black swans! I've not seen any black ones since we left Africa. Mind you, don't think I've seen a Banksia since then either! well done K with all those steps :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realise you had both black swans & banksias in Africa, as I thought they were both native to Oz. K thanks you for the kindly comments on the stairs.

      Delete
  4. We have black swans in the UK but they were originally brought over for private collections and then escaped! Love Koalas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I must admit to having seen a few black swans in UK, that were sent over after they were discovered here, but I'm with you too, loving our koalas & most of our native animals for that matter.

      Delete
  5. wow, lots of lovely Aussie wildlife! Hope to come and see K's work on the steps one day... and great to get those ufos loaded and quilted! I miss Emmie G! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you come home, you can come on over & maybe we'll even go & see some cuddly koalas & quilt shops on this side of the state.(giggle).

      Delete
  6. Banksias! I always think of May Gibbs and her Big Bad Banksia Man, you, me and my sister. I still have that book and of course Blinky Bill by Dorothy Wall, our very famous koala.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember!! M. always read to us & it wasn't till I was all grown up that I finally got a wonderful copy of all the May Gibbs stories & her biography. Those were the days.

      Delete
  7. Wow, you've been busy :) Your koala walk looked lovely, and the Banksia is beautiful. Those steps are pretty amazing - no wonder K. looks a little tired! Well done for getting on with your quilting (note to self ......must dust longarm!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops, missed this comment Jayne & thank you. Steps finished & mine l/a needs oiling ready for the next batch.

      Delete
  8. Paynesville and the surrounds is one of our favourite holiday destinations

    ReplyDelete