Thursday 12 October 2017

ADVENTURES -- PART TWO.

CAPITAL DAYS.

Day 1 in Canberra was just a chillout day with the grandchildren who weren't sure what they wanted to do after a few of our suggestions.
Day 2 they suggested we go to the War Memorial in the morning & off we went.  I didn't want to take my big camera & for the life of me couldn't find my pocket one, so now photos taken whilst there.
After lunch we headed up to Mount Ainslie lookout, where with big camera took some photos looking down on our National Capital.

Looking across Lake Burley Griffin, which when I first visited Canberra in the late 50's was only just being excavated.
To the very right of the photo is the carillon placed on a small island.
Now we are looking further to the right again & you can see the water jet about centre of photo & some of the business district.
Again, panning right and more of the CBD with hills and mountains in the background.
On Saturday we helped DS2 in the garden with some mowing, pruning and weeding, which he' d got behind on over winter, which is very cold there.
Sunday saw us head out to Floriade, which is an annual event to herald in Spring.
Although I was told I'd been before, I couldn't remember exactly when , so I enjoyed the spectacular flower displays.
It was very hard taking photos, because of the crowds (I don't like crowds), and just as you were about to snap, somebody would pass by or stand in front of you, which was so annoying .  I deleted many photos, but here are a couple. 


The displays were breathtaking, but notice all those people in the background.


                                          The above two are just some more of the displays.

There were quite a few sculptural items dotted around & although I took quite a few, one in particular will come in handy for my next Photo Hunt, but here are two to for you now.
Two rather bulbous looking trees.  Notice that rather intrusive "bottom".  This man managed to put himself into every photo I took, so I gave up in the end and moved on.
Sorry about that, but I loved these 2 timber pieces.

A huge lotus floating on the water.
I love taking closeup photos of flowers, so I'll just pop one below, as a final picture.  Aren't they                                                                                      colourful


Enough for today and my last installment will be over the weekend, when I tell about the wonderful journey home.
Till then, take care.
Susan.

12 comments:

  1. I had to laugh at the man's bottom in the photo, I get so annoyed when I want to take a photo and there's people in my way. It looks like a very colourful event with all the wonderful flowers, and I love the lotus flower floating on the lake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, I don't so much get annoyed, as I know they are there for the same purpose, to look at the beauty of everything, but with 2 kids in tow who wanted to see this & that I just didn't have time to stand around and wait.(giggle).

      Delete
  2. Love the flowers, bit sad that my garden is showing neglect this spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy. It was lovely & my garden is also not looking good this Spring having lost a few bits due to frost, but every year is different & I'll catch up on things soon.

      Delete
  3. It amazes me how flippin' ignorant some people can be - it is not like visitors taking photographs is unusual? Don't some folk notice other people around them and what they are trying to do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Jayne, I think it tends to be a bit the way things are these days. I hope I taught our kids better. I must admit it was rather crowded & I definitely don't enjoy "crowds", but I won't hide myself away from everything, so grin & bear it.

      Delete
  4. He was probably aware of the phototaking and did it on purpose!! Lovely flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks C. I don't think he was aware of anyone else, but inspecting every aspect of the sculpture. Maybe he was a woodworker trying to get ideas on how it was done!!!!!!! The floral displays were lovely.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful flowers, love all the tulips!! But I am like you, don't like crowds.. the pics are still lovely though... xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is that a real lotus? I would guess no but not after seeing those trees with bulbish trunks. Hope you are enjoying your trip, Susan. I'm in the process of moving so blogging is out for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanna, I've been really worried about you, but had no way of getting in touch. We'll have to remedy that once you are settled. No, the lotus is not real, but more of the sculptural bits that were dotted around. Hope all goes well with the move. Take care & huggles.

      Delete