Friday 10 November 2017

LAGGING BEHIND.

Oh dear, I'm really needing to catch up on some posts, with days out, crafting & gardening.
Also, a big thank you for the last few comments on my Scavenger Hunt post.  So sorry not to have replied, but been both busy &  a few computer problems, which seem to be sorted now.
We'll start with a few days out and then some crafting & garden.

ORGAN PIPES NATIONAL PARK.
I was a little disappointed with this, though we did enjoy.  There was an information centre, but it was unmanned & the signage in places was very vague.  Anyway, it is situated the western side of Melbourne on highway to Bendigo, so made a nice day out.  Packed the all important picnic lunch & thermos and off we went.
    The tessellated pavement.  Not nearly as extensive as Malham Cove, but interesting all the same.

     Jackson's Creek which runs through the park & in which we could here both frogs & a platypus                                                                             splashing about.

                                  The "organ pipes" formation on the far side of above creek.


                 Two information boards telling of the flora and fauna to be found in the park.

LANG LANG BEACH.
We've visited this beach now twice in the last few weeks, as I need a dose of sea air every now & then.  I found this by accident one day as we looked at our local area map.  I'd never heard of it, although we drive through the small town of Lang Lang quite often when out.  The beach is actually the other side of the main highway running to both Phillip Island and the area of South Gippsland.
It is a small narrow stretch of sand along the eastern shore of Western Port Bay, & down a side road leading to farms & a holiday park.  It is so lovely and quiet, well, at the moment.  High summer may see it busier.
Looking to the right from the car park.  We then proceeded to walk in the other direction, up through the caravan park & onto the track at the top of the cliffs to Jam Jerrup Point.  On the way back, I took some photos. (actually lots!!).
                                            Looking out over the bay towards French Island.
                                                                   Interesting sign.
You can now see why the sign is there, as that is the cliff face that is exposed to the weather &                                                                                 crumbling away.
                                                   Farmland on the other side of the track.
Now we travel back along the beach to the carpark.
                           The narrow strip of sand, as we approached the beach once again.
Walking along the beach you can see some of the holiday shacks, above the sand, stones & retaining walls.
              This was like a still life, with its rusty ephemera sitting outside in the weather.
                                                                           Loved it!!
                                                           Nearly back at the car park.
 I spotted these along the topside of the beach and do you see the gathering of seagulls in the photo                                                                                    below.
                                                  Click on this and all will be revealed.

CRAFTING.
Although this has been a bit on the quiet side, I've done a few finishes in between all that is happening in our lives at the moment. 
                                                                    Dotty Custard.
                              This is now bound & photographed hanging on the shed door.
                                                                    Dilly Dally Deco.
Named because I dilly-dallied over finding more grey fabric, having run out of the second one part the way through.  It was supposed to resemble something art deco, as well as using more of the above jelly roll.
                                                                        Dripsicle.
And what the heck is that word, I hear you say.  Just me feeling drippy, as that is what the grey fabric reminds me of.  The above two aren't quilted yet.
                                                                  Tipsy Bon Bons.
This is me trying to be arty with photos at the moment.  Above is one of my so-called "book" quilts, which may happen some day.  I do intend to have a page on this blog for them one day.
I must have shown a photo of these crochet squares at the beginning  of last year.  Finally sewn together and bordered.  It does happen eventually.

GARDEN.
Just a very quick roundup of some happenings in the garden.  I'll do a better post later this month.
                                                          My beautiful Ixia viridiflora.
 Port Wine Magnolia (Michelia), which fills the whole garden with its heady perfume on a warm day.
 My first open flower on the climbing rose Pierre de Ronsard.  It now has masses of them.  A photo                                                       of it later, as it is now dark as I type this.
The two raised veg beds, hubby has built for me.   Again another photo will come as the silver beet has grown quite a bit, a pumpkin self seeded from goodness knows where, carrot seeds up, 3 tomatoes planted, along with some butter beans & zucchini.  All doing well so far.
Now this is one for my UK friends, who I know have "BIG" slugs.  How do I know?  I've seen them & also squished them under my feet in the dark, when in my nephews garden.  Oh, so yuck & gooey!!!!!  This is an Ozzie slug and that bit of wood is about 2" long & 1/2" thick, so you can get a feel for the size of my little beastie.
OK, all for now and I'll bet your glad, but I do have another few posts up my sleeve before the end of the month.  We've two car shows on the calendar, a coffee & cake run and just maybe for me, AQM, which is a quilting trade show here in Melbourne. 
Good night my blogpals, take care and huggles.
Susan.

11 comments:

  1. Goodness, you have been busy. Your days out look both interesting and restful, I quite fancy a beach trip myself but we have nothing planned at the moment, though it's getting much cooler over here now, perhaps it will wait until next year. Your quilts are fabulous, as usual, and the names you've given them made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. Glad I could put a smile on your face, though I did think people might laugh at the funny place names we have here too. I definitely need a regular sea fix, having grown up not far from the coast in Sydney & we go in all seasons when we can. Winter can quite exhilarating & the beaches much emptier of the hoards, so that suits me fine. I'll be in touch soon, have a lovely weekend & take care.

      Delete
  2. I love the sea as well but just getting outside on a glorious day suits me as well. I wonder what was interesting the seagulls? How did you manage to work on all those quilts - I am astounded!! I love your crocheted blanket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too love getting outside anytime. The quilts are not always done recently & I spend bits of time when I can with my quilting in between housework, gardening, days out & a few other things. Hubby's retirement has meant a lot of changes in the last few years, so snatching time is important. Thanks Carol.

      Delete
  3. I so love the beach... would be wonderful to live there, wouldn't it? Love all your quilts! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy & yes, I'd love to be closer to the coast.

      Delete
  4. The organ pipes park look amazing! I envy your ability to go to the coast and breathe in some lovely salty air :) Your quilts and crochet are beautiful - put my knitting to shame :D xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. I need sea air, more than ever these days, as I miss not being as close the coast as we've been at other times. Nothing, could put your knitting or ARTWORK to shame!!!!

      Delete
  5. This would be funny if it were not so sad ... you might have noticed I've been AWOL, and according to Feedly there are nine of your posts I've not seen yet (so sorry). The not-sure-if-it-is-funny thing is that the first post of yours I come to catch up on is called Lagging Behind. Guess there is a message there for me, ha ha.

    Going to have a catchup before bedtime so stand by for far too many comments {{giggle}}.

    Love your trip to the seaside, that looks like an incredibly beautiful beach. Those raised beds are pretty impressive too, well done to K 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayne for doing a catchup & sometimes I get behind on my own, but tend to keep reading posts by others on my side bar.

      Delete