Thursday 24 January 2019

JANUARY SCAVENGER PHOTO HUNT 2019.


Thanks to Kate, here we are again for another exciting year of "hunting", for photos & photo opportunities.  Thinking outside the box can be both easy & difficult at times & I'll admit that these really took some brain power, then, the metallic one led me astray!!!  Too many ideas & pics has me seeing triple.  Hope nobody minds.

1.  METALLIC.
Pelican sculpture at San Remo near the bridge to Phillip Island made from metal, old cutlery & various oddments.
Taken Christmas holidays in 2017 when our nephew & partner were visiting from UK.

Rusty Rita.............hee hee!
OK, she is the Angel of the North, taken whilst in the UK in 2016, although not the best photo, she is metallic and very large.

Lovely silvery fish on the gabion wall  beside the Leeds to Liverpool canal  in Todmorden, taken on a trip in 2011.
                                      All three of these photos have come from my archives.

2.  PLATE.
Throat plates.
I so wanted to think outside the box on this one and came up with number plate, name plate, gold/silver plated, china plate, the earth's plates, foot plate on a steam engine, woodcut/printer's plate or even plate glass.  Which one to use?  But no, I couldn't find anything other than a china plate, which of course we all have in our homes.  Aha, whilst sewing yesterday, it struck me!!!!!  I have 'TWO' throat plates for my sewing machine.  The zigzag throat plate, the one on the left, is standard with all sewing machines, but you can also buy the single stitch throat plate to make life easier if you do lots of quilting & don't want a tangle of stitches underneath at the beginning of your stitching.

3.  MADE.
Kilcunda Beach in November 2018.
         A beautifully constructed moated sand castle/fort left by some children after a day at the beach.
                                                        Quite intricate if you look carefully.

4.  AGED.
McCrae,s Homestead, (National Trust) at McCrae on the Mornington Peninsular taken in 2017.
This is what I am using for aged.  An old wall lined with newspapers and the bed sporting a well worn hexagon quilt.  Some of the hexagons are thread bare and others nearly unattached, but still beautiful in its own way.

5.  MODERN.
The glasshouse in the Ballarat Botanic Garden is very modern and angular.  On my last post I showed some of the variety & colour of the plants in there at the moment.  I may have used this photo before & that is my DH strolling down the path, so no need for cropping or otherwise.
Clicking on any of the photos, will bring them up to a better size & you'll see more.

6.  MY OWN CHOICE.
Old wares in Thirsk.
This shop with the intriguing name says it all.  I was looking in the window, then popped inside to ask if I could take a photo and use it on my blog and they said it was fine, but it never made it on till now.  Taken in 2016.  I love browsing through shops like this, which bring a lot of memories to the fore and are great to while away some time.  I very rarely com away with anything these days, but still love doing it.
This lot had me thinking for the last few weeks, so well done to Kate for making me use my grey matter.

My lot done and yes, I am early.  Tomorrow is supposed to again top the 40+ temperature mark and they have said there could be statewide power shortages for both Victoria and South Australia due to the ongoing heatwave conditions.  Many fires are burning across 3 states - Tasmania, Victoria and New South Wales, so not very pleasant here.  We desperately need rain and cooler weather.
Take care all & can't wait to see all the other photo hunters posts.
Huggles, Susan.

34 comments:

  1. I love your scavenger hunts and your 'plate' was clever. Snow and ice here in UK but little rain where I live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. You must be up early & we've only had 7mm for January so far. Keep warm & take care.

      Delete
  2. You've really thought outside the box for these photos, a lovely collection. I hope it cools down for you soon, I wish we could send you some of our weather, there's a smattering of snow on the ground today which has iced over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. A little cooler today, so that's good.

      Delete
  3. Good array of photos, well done. Stay cool, 45.6 here today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy. Got to 44.7 yesterday & that is when the power went down. Ugh! Only for about 2 hours luckily.

      Delete
  4. Very nice group of photos - but we expect no less from you!

    Lovely collection of Portmerion in the window of your shop in Thirsk. There is no way I would have been able to resist going in :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jayne. There was lots of nice 'stuff' in the shop, but a bit hard for me to bring back to Oz.

      Delete
  5. A nice collection! I haven't joined in this month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent set of photos this month - your ol'grey matter was certainly thinking outside the box! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. You do us proud, thinking of words, doing the linky bit & then a quick roundup. It's great & helps with motivation to keep blogging & catching up with some lovely bloggers.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful photos. I like the metallic bird and your interpretation of plate. I also like the shop front and love it's name:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie. I surprised myself with plate & seems like the shop is a favourite.

      Delete
  8. Utter Clutter sounds like my kind of shop.
    Love the metalwork ones, they are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't take part this month but it's nice to drop by the hunters. Utter Clutter looks a wonderful little shop. I love the sculptures of course. The botanic gardens must feel even more tropical with your heatwave going on. Hope it cools down for you. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shazza. The shop has been well liked & luckily the weather wasn't too hot when we were in Ballarat, unlike the last couple of days.

      Delete
  10. Clever you with plate! I also liked your metal pictures. I ought to go to Tod to see the fishes! I hope it cools down for you soon. I do like it warm but I think I might not like your heat. Utter Clutter is a brilliant name. My favourite photo has to be that very old quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M. Those walls along the canal in places at Tod are amazingly large, especially the brick one. Thought of you when I put the quilt photo up. Not quite as hot today, but we are in for another lot this week, then again next week too.

      Delete
  11. A very interesting set of photos, I love the one for metallic and the name of that shop would have me straight in there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eunice. I can see that shop being invaded by a group of mischievous bloggers (lol).

      Delete
  12. Love the photos. Love the quilt and the last picture of the shop

    Julie xc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. That shop has done well this post & it was a last minute.........oh heck, what will I do for my own choice.

      Delete
  13. Lovely photos! I do like the beautiful hexagon quilt and that fabulous sandcastle! April xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Susan, lovely set of photos - I love that the Angel of the North is called Rusty Rita :) Has only driven past her once - must try to get up to it. I love your choice for Aged - the newspapers on the wall must tell some stories and the sandcastle - well spotted. But like everyone else Utter Clutter would definitely have had me in there rummaging lol I hope it cools down soon for you - hearing this from a lot of Australian friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fil, still hot with more high temperatures & bad bushfires in Tassie. I think we all hope it cools down soon & we get rain.

      Delete
  15. What a lovely collection of photographs you've shared here.
    I do hope it cools down for you soon, and that you get rain.

    Take care

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely photos again! I love the name of the shop in the last pic!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks John. I think I went overboard with the metallic bits, as I love them all. I may be Ozzie born & bred, but I don't like above 25, so I really feel it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Susan, thank you for the nice comment on my blog. Hopefully both of us will get some things done this year and enjoy the process. You did a great job on your photo pics as usual; the Botanic Garden looks wonderful. I didn't recognize the plaits; my eyes are open but I do not see:) Have fun and stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna. Glad you enjoyed & the glasshouse is amazing.

      Delete