Sunday 17 February 2019

TALKING QUILTS (FEB. 2019)

Finally making a start on this little segment, even if it's only for my own documentation.  Having made my first quilt in 1977, the journey has been ever fascinating, meeting many wonderful quilters along the way, both in magazines & books, as well as in person.  They have all contributed to making this a fun hobby.  THANK YOU, to all & sundry in the industry.
Although I have some very favourite books, I'm starting with one I've used again very recently, as well as in the past.
This the book we'll talk about first.
Stars by Magic, by Nancy Johnson-Srebo.

Block 1 instructions, of 30 different numbered blocks.
The first quilt I actually made using the book was Quilt Map #10 in the book, which is the same blocks & setting as laid out, though my  own fabric choices. 
Rustic Star Medallion.
I called this quilt Rustic Star Medallion & it was a commission by a friend who is vision impaired to go on her guest bed. 
Next up came a quilt I started making from a magazine & half way through I got bored with the same little stars, so put one of "the" stars in the centre & also added broderie perse roses to 4 blocks.
This particular pattern was from The Quilter, March 2007, called Orient Express by Roxanne Carter.

Then along came a much needed wedding gift for one of my nieces' in the UK.  I designed the quilt, but was not happy with the centre, so guess what?  A star of course from the above book.  This was designed & made in 2011, ready for attending the wedding in June, in her chosen colours.
Chelsfield Star.
Over the last few months I've been playing with fabric from my stash along with a few of the "many" designs awaiting for their turn in my graph books & on my laptop.
We have a couple of results, although they aren't quilted yet.
Mandalay.
This came about because I really wanted to use the beautiful gingko pattern fabric & as I had a design in mind I got started from this pattern below.
Wonky Star designed on Quilt Wizard program.
Things didn't go to plan, with the wonky star being a tad complicated to piece & not having enough background fabric, so was redesigned to become the one above.  The centre star is the one from the book.
Another lot of fabric had also been sitting around in a pile, languishing along with it's pattern, so another start was made, with similar complications to the above.  Below is my original idea.
Blue Stars.
I'll show some of my design progress in a few snippets below.
 

And this is what it all became.
Shazzam.
The four blocks surrounding the centre crossed star is a simple block I created to tie it all together.
The odd blocks in the left hand corner of my design wall are the leftovers from the diagonal cutting of the star blocks & I couldn't bear to throw them into the scrap tubs, so the brain started working overtime, as well as the hands & machine & lo & behold, we ended up with this...............
I'm lucky to have a great stash & could find plenty for the background & accidentally found a fat 1/4 of  pretty fabric to frame the centre block.  I actually like this, even though it was a spur of the moment flight of fancy.  I've not thought of a name for it yet.
Thank you Nancy for much inspiration & your great instructions.

OK, my first attempt at the Talking Quilts segment, which I'll try to do once a month.  I've a few in mind so hopefully it won't be too boring & if it is, you can give them a miss.  I'll pop by during the week with some crafty finishes for both hubby & I over the last couple of months, then on Friday, it will be Scavenger Hunt day.  Where has this month gone, as I've just remembered a day out which I've not done.  Hubby has been a little low this week with a nasty cold virus, but is on the mend now, although still has a niggly cough. 
Enough from me!  Hope you are having a great weekend, take care & huggles,
Susan.



                                                                                            







19 comments:

  1. You started quilting about 10 years before me but I enjoy it still. I have two books of children's quilts, by Nancy Johnson-Srebo that I have used a huge amount.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for telling me how long you've been quilting too & I'm so glad you know who Nancy is as well. It's something I'll always do as long as I'm able & probably have too many ideas for a life time.

      Delete
  2. I have that NJS book but I haven't made anything from it - which is [sadly] true for most of the large collection of quilting books! I'll dig it out this afternoon now that you've reminded me :-)

    Well done for managing to document so many of your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayne & I've just found 2 more quilts where I've used those stars. Did you find your book or have you been too busy in the garden?

      Delete
    2. I've had a quick look but cannot find it, which is odd. Although my quilting books are a bit muddled up and out of order at present, there is only one bookcase where they are stored. Going to be thoroughly wet today by the look of it so I might have another proper look later.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful quilts. It's good when you get plenty of use from a book. Hope hubby is feeling better, Mick isn't ill very often, in fact it's years and years since he's taken a sick day off work, but he's got tonsillitis and an infection in his wisdom tooth at the moment. He still won't take a sick day though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. K's much better, though I do hope Mick has that tooth seen to.

      Delete
  4. Really interesting see how books influence and guide us - and how you make a design your own :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books & many other things spark my rather weird/wonky imagination Kate. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. Such beautiful quilts, you are very talented making those.
    Get well wishes for your hubby, seems to be the order for DH's to be ill, mine is too at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the journey of your design processes Susan. Good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of the inspiration you pulled from that book; beautiful quilts and thanks for the story telling. I love Orient Express and Rustic Star. Looking forward to the next installment. I agree with you - where did February go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanks Joanna. I thought you'd like the more traditional ones.

      Delete
  8. Your quilts are beautiful Susan, I especially like Rustic Star and Orient Express. I haven't even thought about Scavenger Hunt photos yet! February is just racing by. Have a lovely week:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie. You liked the same as Joanna & I forgot 2 others I've done with stars from that book.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful quilts.
    I do hope your hubby is feeling a lot better now.
    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely quilts and great to hear the stories behind them! xx

    ReplyDelete