Saturday 9 March 2019

CRAFTY CAPER CATCH-UP.

Alas, time seems to have  whizzed by just lately & all those posts that I say I'm going to do, don't make it to the blog.  Time to rectify that with a small catch up post.

MY LATEST SILLINESS.
DD gave me a small game called Bananagrams & I've taken to doing the solitaire version to relax occasionally.  Similar to the tiles from scrabble, I take 21, turn them over & try to make sensible words that are interlinked & using every letter.  Just a quick snap from one I did, without changing any of the tiles.

DH'S LATEST WOODWORKING.
Pens he has turned from assorted timber & my acrylic one with rubber tip for my tablet.

My 'puddy cat'.
 We saw one of these on sale somewhere & when we came home he drew it up & here he is.
This beautiful lantern was made after I showed him a picture from the internet with some similar ones and about 2 days later, he sauntered down from The Shed, with his hands behind his back & "voila", this is what he produced.  I still need to varnish it & will use it as a prop in quilt photo shoots.  Aren't I the luckiest girl?

Joint Effort.
Filling in a bit of time.  DH made the Lazy-Susan base & I painted it, papered the tins & titivated, then loaded up my assorted colour pencils, which were held in various different places.

QUILTING.
These 4 quilts have all been shown at various times in different stages of construction.  All have been quilted & bound during December, January & early February.
Water Meadow (left) & Judy's Promise (right).
Both were designed on my Quilt Wizard program.

Jacob's Medallion, also designed with my Quilt Wizard.

Magnolia Mystery quilt was a mystery quiltalong last year.
I followed along with the Meadow Mist blog.
It was designed by the very talented Cheryl Brickey.
The next two quilts I accidentally omitted from my Talking Quilts post.  The stars I used on both of these quilts also came from the same book by Nancy Johnson -Srebo.  Both are again my settings.
The 7 Bronwyn Hayes embroideries, set together with the stars to my own design on graph paper.

This was made many, many years ago to use the lovely old-fashioned panels I'd purchased way back, when?.
CROCHET.
Below is a scrap crochet granny square.  Just using up some of my Stylecraft leftovers.  This was one of those easy relaxing evening pursuits.
And what do you do on hot smokey days?
Why, a WASGIJ...................... or two.
This one was bought many years ago as it had a Morris Minor on the front.  I think this is the third time we've done it.  Now this time, it was because we'd found another with a MM on the front, and I bought it for DH as early birthday present.  His birthday is next Friday, but we've done it already.  Well mostly, he's done it.
Not the best quality, but on the table in this corner of our loungeroom is quite dark most of the day, so that is the light shining off the puzzle and box.  We thought it may have some of the elements of the first, but no, it is to celebrate the 20th anniversary of WASGIJ's.

LASTLY, A BIT FROM OUR RATHER FORLORN GARDEN.
A poor butterfly I rescued from the bird's water bowl, which must have later flown away.

The roses are looking good at times.

My tiger lily actually flowered despite the heat, after not flowering for the last two years.
Ah, I think that is enough chattering & chuntering from me.  We are off to the Lost Trades Fair tomorrow, so need an early night.  It was car club meeting today, got home well after lunchtime and bustled around making blueberry mini muffins, picnic lunch, folding clothes, preparing tea, then this post.  Think I'm ready for a much needed sit-down break.
Hope everyone is having a great weekend, take care & huggles.

23 comments:

  1. Phew! What a lot of crafty makes, all beautiful might I say. I've never heard of Bananagrams but I enjoy word games, I play Scrabble online as Mick won't play. I love the wooden cat, K is so talented. Beautiful quilts, I always enjoy seeing the different patterns you come up with, they all look so intricate. I wouldn't know where to start. Enjoy your day at the Lost Trades Fair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, I'll play Scrabble with you - M. won't ☹️

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jo & I also have a hubby whose not keen on Scrabble, unless I do a bit of pleading. A lesson on your machine in August might be a good way to start!! We enjoyed the fair, but way too many people to make seeing a lot when your'e a "shortie".

      Delete
  2. You remember when I've done one of my 'big catchup blog posts' and people* say "Good grief, you make me tired reading all that".

    * maybe people called Susan, ha ha

    Well m'lady, now it is your turn. I am positively knackered just thinking about how much you and K. have achieved and how busy you are. Huge well done to both of you, you're both so incredibly talented in your own fields.

    It is absolutely impossible to pick any favourites, but I applaud you doing the jigsaw. Eileen's husband has done some of them recently and they look like absolute pigs. No way I would try one :)

    Have a lovely weekend 🐾💚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayne & do remember it is a catch up post over at least 3-4 months!! The jigsaws are fun, though K does way more than me & glad that we've someone else who knows what they are.

      Delete
  3. Wow you really do keep yourselves busy. I showed your completed Wasgijs to my husband and he really likes them. I enlarged the photos and he was keen to tell me which colours he'd pick out to make a start on them. He really likes the first one in your post and we have never seen those particular Wasgijs on sale, this might set him off looking again :) I enjoy word games and I like doing Sudoku puzzles as well, always have a puzzle book on the go. Your husband is very clever with his woodworking, how lovely to surprise you with the lantern like that.
    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. I'm sure the second one is probably available as it is the newest, but the other one we bought a loooong time ago. I too like puzzles, though I really get stuck on Sudoku, even though I've always been good with numbers, having worked in the bank most of my life & also being an accounting machine operator for many years. Now that's a blast from the past, isn't it?

      Delete
  4. A post filled with such delights.
    I bought DD and her family Banangrams for Christmas, really helps the children to learn new words.
    Love the woodworking, such talent your man has.
    Morris Minor... perfect puzzle, I like those.
    Stunning quilts and nice garden flowers.
    Loved everything in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of a 'woz-gidge' (had to google wasgij to find out) wow what a brain tickler of a jigsaw!
    K is brilliant with wood! What amazing things he make for you :) You look to have super busy too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. Yes, K is very talented & I can't believe all who've not seen WASGIJ's as they are so English.

      Delete
  6. Gosh you have been busy Susan and as ever your quilts are fabulous and your husband is so talented with wood.
    I too have never heard of a WASGIJ before - flippin’ eck- they look really complicated.
    I hope all the smoke has settled down a bit and you can enjoy the rest of the weekend. Fil x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fil for the lovely comments. We seem to have days with no smoke, then it'll be back again, so hopefully our area will get some much needed rain tomorrow. I really must try & get in touch with you via email.

      Delete
  7. I had exactly the same Wasgij for Christmas and managed to do it but have banned anymore jigsaws as they waste soooo much of my time!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha, another who has done one & yes they are times wasters, but it does give the old grey matter a bit of a workout. Thanks & take care.

      Delete
  8. The butterfly was lucky you spotted it! Your crochet blanket looks great. I like playing Bananagrams :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thsnks Louise. I am a bit of a nutter when it comes to animals & insects, except big spiders. Ugh!

      Delete
  9. You have both been very busy creating lots of lovely and useful things. Glad the butterfly was saved and tht it eventually recovered and flew away:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie. I rescue lots of things & crickets too, which for some unknown reason come inside. Once you've caught them in cupped hands they tickle & then K has to open the door for me to put them back outside. He thinks I'm pretty nutty.

      Delete
  10. Lots of lovely finishes there, both you and K! Looking forward to seeing what he made me :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well it certainly seems you have been busy.
    Love your quilts.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. A wonderful crocheted blanket. I reminds me of the ones my Nan makes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this, that and the other blog post! I do them all the time. Love the quilts and the crocheted piece. Being I love working with wood, I love those pieces.

    ReplyDelete