Friday 26 June 2020

JUNE PHOTO SCAVENGER HUNT - 2020

That time again!
Linking with  the lovely Kate at I live, I love, I craft, I am me, to find photos to go with her list of words provided each month.  I am ever so grateful to her for keeping us blogging & focused on the beauty around us, even in these difficult times.  THANK YOU...😊😊😊

1.  MY GARDEN.
OK, this is my old garden at No.4 which was looking very pretty one Spring.  Ours at the moment is quite bare, so popped into the archives.
2.  FLOWERS.
I picked this bunch from the garden yesterday.  My first hellebore flowers & snowflakes, along with ti-tree & diosma.  I find that diosma, although not a pleasant smell, seems to be in flower nearly all year.  And where did I place these.
                                                       On the chest in my sewing room.
3.  INSECTS.
Witchetty grubs
DH found these two lurking in the wood he'd been chopping for our fire & called me out to rescue them.  I picked them up & put them in the garden amongst some leaves.  I took the info* below from the web & they had named a few of the moths, so I was surprised to see that one of them was the Emporer Gum moth, which I'd taken a photo of at one of our Car Club outings & shown on the blog last year.
*The witchetty grub (also spelled witchety grub or witjuti grub[1]) is a term used in Australia for the large, white, wood-eating larvae of several moths
Emporer Gum Moth.

4.  SUNRISE/SUNSET.
                              A photo taken back in 2017 from our driveway & not edited at all.  It was                                                                                               amazing.
5.  SOMETHING WILD.
Butcherbird on the left, Rosellas bottom right & King Parrot top right.
Last weekend whilst sweeping the verandah, I could hear my Butcherbird's call & looked up to see him sitting in the leafless tree behind the shed, along with to my amazement, 3 Eastern Rosellas & a King Parrot.  Flew inside to grab the camera, put on my big lens, hoping they'd still be there & voila, a photo.  Please click to see it full size.  I didn't dare go any closer as they'd have flown off.
6.  MY OWN CHOICE.
A nursery at 4 Elms in Kent, UK.
I just loved this nursery with both plants & old ephemera plus a cafe.  I could see so much of this being used in a gorgeous garden.  Wasn't sure what to put for my own choice this time & kept tossing thoughts around, then thinking about gardens & what I'd like to do in one with odd bits & pieces.  Not going to happen any time soon, as we  may be in lockdown again soon with a spike in cases happening again. 😣
OK, my lot for this month & hopefully July will bring a slow down in this virus & we can slowly find a new normal, but of course never the same as we've known most of our lives.
Take care, stay safe all & huggles from down under.
Susan.







31 comments:

  1. I love your garden picture, reminds me so of Southern Africa gardens with a lovely a cool looking veranda overlooking an oasis of colour.
    Here you are, on the other side of the world, using words that dominate our lives here at the moment; lockdown, spike and new normal. Really brings home how Corvid is affecting people everywhere. Take care both of you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. Yes our gardens in the southern hemisphere can look just that bit different.

      Delete
  2. Lovely pictures and stories, the first garden photo is definitely my favourite! Thank you for joining in x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. Glad you do this for us & you'd think our garden here at the moment pretty dreary, though my hellebores are making me smile.

      Delete
  3. Your old garden is just gorgeous and the moth is is simply stunning. I think the last photo and part of the nursery is what I'd call a reclamation yard and I would love to rummage there.
    I really enjoy seeing your photos, take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen, I did love my old garden a lot.

      Delete
  4. I'm so pleased to learn what Witchety grubs are. Loved the picture of the garden centre at Four Elms in Kent - which is near where I was born and brought up. Do you have connections there? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. We used to love looking for witchetty grubs when we were kids. DH has a sister who lives near Tunbridge Wells, so we always have a few days down south after our stays in Yorkshire where he comes from.

      Delete
  5. I'm afraid I cringed at the grub photo, I really dislike any wriggly, crawly things, but your last photo is great - I'd love to have a good look round that place :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Eunice, they won't hurt you. I'll admit to not being squirmy about these things & will pick up most things except big spiders & redbacks. The nursery was somewhere I'd visit again if I ever get the chance which is highly unlikely given this damn virus & our age.

      Delete
  6. Great photos, Susan. What a sunset. I love your old garden. Take care:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie. We don't see many like that.

      Delete
  7. I'd love to get a good nosey aroud that place in your last photo Susan Lovely photos all. Take care ... things will get back to normal, I'm sure of it xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fil. It was an amazing nursery & we were going to visit last year, but ran out of time.

      Delete
  8. What a lovely moth to appear from the grubs! I'd never given it any thought as to what the grub might turn into. Your old garden is my sort of garden. Just as well we don't live near that garden centre as I'm sure Beloved would want to bring more 'treasures' home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M. Grubs definitely have an interesting life cycle. Seems you would all lie to rummage at the nursery (smile).

      Delete
  9. Such a lovely garden, even if it is an oldie. That sunset is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely photos Susan, thank you. My favourites are No 1 with your garden and lovely veranda and also the picture of the nursery - I think it would be hard to leave that without picking up lots of bits to add to a lovely garden! Take care down under.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous photographs, I love the picture of your old garden and I am sure you new garden will be just as beautiful πŸ™‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but not sure it will be like that one due to steepness & being backfilled evidently with builders rubble when built some 20 years ago.

      Delete
  12. Thank you for all your photos especially that incredible sunset.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another interesting collection. The garden centre looks like an interesting place to visit and I liked seeing the witchety grubs too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise. I thought you'd like the grubs & seems so many people would love the garden centre & now I think I'd love to revisit too, but will it ever happen in my life time now......?

      Delete
  14. Fabulous post, it is indeed a lovely garden and sunset.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. I love being able to see & capture a sunrise or sunset.

      Delete
  15. Oh Susan, Victoria seems to be back in the midst of it. I'm sorry to hear that. Your garden pic is such a nice sight in to see now in the winter months - it's a beautiful garden indeed.
    What I would give to visit a garden centre like that one! So many goodies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Evie, it's awful & wondering how on earth it's got so bad again. My old garden was gorgeous, but it's not mine anymore so need to concentrate on the here & now. Everyone wants to visit that garden centre, though we've a few good scrounging places here in Vic & once we are allowed out a bit more, I want some "wild pots".

      Delete
  16. I enjoyed your photos! We are sweltering here on the 4th of July when many are planning picnics, including us. I am so used to staying in that I hate the thought of having to leave the comfort of our home.πŸ’– Have a great day and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely selection.
    Sadly, i didnt get round to joining this time.
    Love and (hugs) x

    ReplyDelete