Sunday 16 August 2020

STAYING BUSY ....TO KEEP THE DEMONS AT BAY

 Being back in Stage 3 lockdown is becoming very tedious.  Even heard "rumours" about nothing happening till 2022.  Really!!!!

Need to keep myself busy and as the weather hasn't been playing nicely, nothing is being done in the garden, which is annoying me and not sleeping well hasn't helped my mood or mojo.  We've been trying to make sure we at least get in our walking routine, but today that isn't going to happen with intermittent light misty rain & when you need to wear a mask when not in your own home/garden, it seems to make it even more uncomfortable.  A wet mask that is......

OK, we'll make a start and just to let you know the camera has been put to good use around the home.

GARDEN.

2 different pink hellebores.

A very pale greeny/lemon hellebore.

The blueberries are just starting to flower.

The tiny pink bluebells are up & sure have multiplied.

The circular garden out the front with many bulbs either flowering or nearly flowering.

A closeup of the crocus.

The rather untidy area beside the shed. 
 DH intends to extend the shed in the very near future, which is why we need to relocate the veg beds & rethink the layout of this area.

On the right is the olive tree we inherited when we purchased this house.
The house was built in 2001 & I'm sure the tree is much, much older than this, going by the size of both the trunk & canopy.
I do need to re-sort that garden on the left to, which is above the retaining wall & being so short I cannot reach most of it.  Another on the list of the list of to-dos.


FLOWERS INSIDE.
Remember I showed on my last post our daffodil farm just outside town.  These below were bought from our local greengrocer & they were from said farm.  I had fun arranging them in 2 vases.

CRAFTING.
Designing on my computer.


In progress.


Designing labels on the computer, which has been a big learning curve, but I did it all by myself.😊

And playing with another design after speaking with my friend Joy from Days filled with Joy.
She had ideas for another QAL & I came up with this design, which I may or may not do.

OTHER HAPPENINGS.
I had a small lapse about buying books............
The box arrived.....

Opened it....................Oh boy, I wasn't expecting this!!!!

Ah.............but underneath were these.
2 gorgeous garden books, 2 quilt books which were on special and to my surprise the one at the top on the right turned out to be a children's book.  I thought it was a true story, which it is, but only in pictures with captions.  It is still beautifully done & one day when all this pa-lava is over, I'll be able to read it with some small children    Hoping.......


ONE TO FINISH.
                              I've done a little colouring in too.  The child coming out in me.   😉

I think that is enough nonsense from this old lady.  It is still cloudy, but some blue sky has appeared, though too late for a walk, as I need to make a start on our evening meal.  
I'm trying hard to keep blogging & staying calm and know one day there may again be a semblance of normality to our lives.  Until next post, stay safe, take care & huge hugs from Susan.


11 comments:

  1. Your garden photos look great Susan, as a quilter I am sure you know that saying - When life gives you scraps, make quilts. I got into quilting when life was dealing out some tough stuff, and am very thankful for a creative outlet even if I have to stay home. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy. Yes, our quilting can certainly be rewarding in both what we produce & keeping us on track. I'm forever greatful for my garden & fabric, plus the wonders of nature.

      Delete
  2. Hi Susan. I love the look of those raised beds. I'm hoping to get some made as soon as I can get hold of some railway sleepers. Your garden made me smile. You are coming into spring just as our summer is beginning to draw to an end. I am looking forward to hunkering down during the long cold winter here and making a couple of quilts. Stay safe. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cherie. My raised beds are needed if I want any veg, as my back doesn't always want to play the bending over game. I'll possibly still plant these ones up soon, even though we intend to build new ones on the other side of the garden. My quilting is definitely something I wouldn't be without at this weird time.

      Delete
  3. It's nice to see your garden waking up, ours is winding down now, all downhill from here for us. Those labels are so lovely, it's so special to personalise the quilts you make in this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. Even in winter our gardens are good, as we get out to check on them & wait for little snippets of new growth. My magnolia is now showing colour, so a photo soon. I've actually enjoyed learning how to do labels of my own.

      Delete
  4. I do like to see daffodils and yours are really lovely. It's good to treat yourself to some books and you'll soon be able to read your children's book to the little ones I'm sure. I do agree it's hard to keep blogging right now but I'm pleased for those that do. Take care and stay safe x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. I seem to have more jonquils in this garden, though my bluebells are showing buds way down in their centres now. I'll keep blogging as I've made quite a few long standing friends now.

      Delete
  5. Lovely post and photos. Good to see your Spring flowers. I've worn my mask twice today in two shops it all feels very strange and I can imagine walking in rain in one would be quite hard to do. I'm sure that there is light at the end of the tunnel it's just rather dim at the moment. Take care:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie. Masks are what we need, but I sure don't like wearing them. DH reckons I need "wing nuts" (bigger ears), as mine don't stay on very well. I'll try making something slightly different, but due to my long hair, tying something behind is also a nuisance & we can't get our hair cut as most hairdressers are closed.

      Delete
  6. Your garden looks good, and I always think daffodils are so cheerful.

    Take care.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete