Thursday 3 September 2020

TREES........UP & DOWN.

 OK, I've been a little quiet of late, but it seems our I'net Provider is doing some "updating" so I've been a little out of sorts with my computer.  My webmail/email is so slow, though I seem to be finding it difficult to come to terms with so much upheaval with all sorts & not being able to go very far from town or see anybody at the moment is really doing my head in.  Hopefully some normality will creep in slowly over the next few months, though I won't hold my breath.  Even finding things to blog about doesn't seem to be coming easily.  Enough of my moaning and let's enjoy a bit from our local walks & something I promised I would show too.

A couple of days before my birthday, we had horrific winds here in southern Victoria, which did unseen amounts of damage due to fallen trees.  My birthday was one of the best sunny days we'd had in about 3 months, so it was off for a local walk and we discovered this tree which had come down in a small reserve 5 minutes from home.

DOWN....................

Our path blocked from this side and the damage to someone's shed is extensive.
You can see the size of the root system, but because gums are shallow rooted, after much rain they become unstable & whoosh, down they come.
This is what it looked like from other side of the path.  We'd had to walk back to the street & come from the other side.
UP..................
                                                 My magnolia has withstood the winds well.

DAMAGED but still standing.
We pass this tree just out of town, when we head for the coast & I'm always going to take some photos.
Yesterday, being able to have a small outing without going further than we should, I decided to stop and snap this fascinating curly tree, but oh dear, it had lost a limb.  
Don't  you love it's little round keyhole.  I love this tree.
The little trip was about taking some more photos of the daffodil farm which I said I would do before the flowers fade too much or have been picked for the cut flower trade.  
Taken from the main road showing the different colours behind the tree line.


Looking down from the gravel back road we took to go home again.

Along said gravel road, we came across these wandering cattle & one very woolly sheep.  Not sure they should have been out, though if trees had come down on fences, it could have been why.

                                      
                                      The views are spectacular in this area to the south of us.
                                                   
Also, a very large Wombat burrow.

A quick local walk today, I discovered this and have now been told they are popping up all over the place.
 Isn't it the cutest!

I've waffled on long enough, so I'll leave it at that.  I hope to be able to catch up with some blogreading over the next few days, so sorry I've not caught up with some recent post.
Take care all, stay safe & huggles from a windy down under.
Susan.





21 comments:

  1. It's amazing the damage that the wind can do, it's my worst kind of weather, scares me to death. Such a shame about all the damage to the trees. The daffodils look spectacular grown en masse. Awww, how cute are those spoons, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I don't like wind either & it scares me too. The spoons made me smile, so I'll keep my eye out for more, when we can get out more. Have a lovely afternoon.
      Take care & huggles.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the walk around your area, and I do love those spoons!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy & I had to go back with camera to take it.

      Delete
  3. It's such a shame when otherwise healthy trees come down in the wind. There was one on a bank near where I work, after weeks of rain every day the earth underneath it had softened so much that it came down across the lane last October, with the top part smashing into someone's conservatory roof. It just missed one of our fitters who had driven down the lane just seconds before it came down! The spoons definitely raise a smile and I'm glad your magnolia has survived the wind :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eunice. It was a really bad night & lots of people left with no power for a couple of days too. Glad everyone likes the spoons.

      Delete
  4. That IS a massive tree! Finally getting around to checking the photos out :) Feel sorry for the people with the shed :( and glad it wasn't yours!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. Yes it was massive & we walk down through this reserve a lot & I've shown other photos of it on the blog too. I'll talk to you soon.

      Delete
  5. Belated birthday wishes Susan, I'm glad the sun came out for you on your special day! Such a shame the wind did so much damage to the trees. I love to see daffodils in bloom, ho wonderful to see so many and Spoonville did make me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen & I don't usually mention "the day", but after so much miserable, dismal weather this winter, it was good to see the sun. Spoonville made me smile too.

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness Susan, I love spoonville. Please don't put ideas in my head as my brain is stuffed to overflowing with things to do /make. But as wooden spoons are so cheap in the pound shop I wouldn't mind giving it a go if I get to town to buy some before I forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cherie. Whoops, have I put ideas into your head. Evidently the poor kids who aren't at school are being busy creating these. I'll try and see where there might be more & if we can go to see them & take some photos. Might be a short outing for us.

      Delete
  7. Interesting how some trees withstand the gales and others don't. Age and width perhaps? Your magnolia tree is lovely and I can see why you like the curly tree such a shame it lost a branch. I can see those spoon families becoming very popular:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie. I love trees & have so many photos it is quite scary!! I believe the spoons are popping up all round Melbourne too.

      Delete
  8. I do like spoonville - what fun.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never apologize for not being on top of everything! I myself am behind and have decided not to worry about it; more posts get written and I can visit then. I absolutely loved going on your walk with you. Gosh that gum was huge! And just so lovely to see a magnolia about to bloom, when mine is starting to think about turning colour. Mine is a light pink one; yours looks like a deep pink one, love those. Glad you got out for a bit of air; it does get to one here and there (some more than others I guess) doesn't it? Glad you can sew to help feel positive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS Oh! The wombat burrow! Cool! I had no idea they were in burrows; somehow thought they were in trees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra & fresh air certainly helps with our mood & of course it is Spring here now. Your second comment had me laughing (thanks), as wombats are very heavy,solid & stocky fellas & although could probably climb, I'm sure they'd bring small branches down along with themselves. As with all our native animals, I think they're special & cute & love seeing them in the wild.

      Delete
  11. Sometimes getting out and about is just the thing we need to get us back in the zone! I worry that we will have huge fallen trees every time the remnants of a coastal storm hits us. We have already lost quite a few. I like gnarly trees too. The key hole one was interesting. Thanks for taking us along on your wanderings!💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. We definitely can't do much other than our local walks & very short drives, but luckily I enjoy those.

      Delete