Wednesday 16 June 2021

FOLLOW YOUR OWN PATH FINISH & LINKUP.

Today I am linking with Sandra from mmm.quilts to finally reveal my two versions of Follow Your Own Path which she ran as a QAL.  

We started this in early April and I put up a teaser a couple of posts ago which was this.....

The backings & quilting detail.
If you click on any of the photos, they will be brought up larger for more detail.
Folded and waiting patiently for some "In the Wild" photos which weren't quite what I had in mind due to our inclement weather.  I suppose it is winter.........😒

I worked on the one below first and went just a little wayward, using an old Rainbows pack (jelly roll) from Victorian Textiles and finding some neutral pale grey fabric for the background.  I also renamed both whilst stitching them together.
The first photo was taken in the reserve on one of the new estates we walk through over a small rotunda railing.
.
                                                                     I DID IT MY WAY.                                                    
This  lower photo was taken along a short boardwalk in a local park which we pass on our local walking routes and I was surprised to find many "chimneys" made by our Burrowing Crayfish which are supposed to be endangered, but we see these around in many of our walks lately.
The said mud chimneys.

The small boardwalk.

Next up came this one below and I again used a Rainbows pack, but this time a black/white one & was actually able to shop for a red background in May.  Of course we are limited again at the moment with enforced restrictions throughout Victoria, hence also having to find local places for my photos.
I found a sign on our travels one day with an "ARROW" and took a photo draped over, with poor DH holding it as I definitely couldn't reach, being less than 5ft these days.  Thank heavens for a tall better half.  Wonder if anyone was amused by what we were doing?
Which Direction.

Another two photos of each taken inside in my sewing room when we had a little sunshine happening.  I had so many ideas for photos but the weather just has not been playing along.  
Which Direction measures 40.5" x 44.5" and is quilted with 
a pattern called Point the Way by Naomi Hynes using
Signature thread, colour Cherry.

I Did It My Way is 32.5" x 43.5", quilted with a pattern
called Which Direction also by Naomi Hynes.
The thread is Signature in colour Oyster Shell.


Not often I give details, but thought it might be interesting to do that.
OK, that is enough of my waffling.  Thanks for taking a peek;
Take care all, stay safe & hugs from down under.
Susan.

PS:  I am also participating in a few other QALs at the moment, so I will be back shortly.






22 comments:

  1. Those are both really fun versions of Sandra's pattern! I like the different color choices you made and the different ways you used the arrow blocks. Those arrow blocks are so versatile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thnk you. I loved these little arrow blocks too & have a couple more ideas.

      Delete
  2. What fun versions! Love your additions to the border!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilts are lovely, I really like the arrows they are unusual and fun. I do like your boardwalk too, we have one here but I've not walked Tilly on it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen, they were fun to play with. I'm sure Tilly would be fine on this one as it short & not too high.

      Delete
  4. I like them both but the first one just edges it for me. I would never have known what those 'chimneys' were, isn't nature amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I should pop on a photo of one of the information boards about them. Will do so soon.

      Delete
  5. I popped over from Rose's blog to have a look at your quilt! And there you go, you've made two! They are both great. I really like the quilting on the first one and how you changed the design to make it your own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. Glad you popped across & I do like being a bit of a rebel with my quilting.

      Delete
  6. They look great! Well done!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. So creative in the construction of the first quilt. And I like the way the second is draped over that sign. You did a wonderful job on both.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, you clever-clogs (as my mum would say)! That first one is genius. And genius, too is finding the sign for the second photo! So good. I would never have thought to do a b&W on white version, and it looks so good! Also I just LOVE how you quilted each one, especially the one with the arrows panto! Brilliant. Thank you so much for participating and participating in spades by making TWO! I would love to put these on my Instagram if that is okay with you. I can grab the photos from your blog, and credit you of course. :-) I hope you've entered twice into the giveaways too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra & I do enjoy your QALs, especially this little arrow ^ its shadow. I tried to enter, but something went wrong, I'll try again today & you may use the photos.

      Delete
  9. They look great Susan, well done. And good photograph options too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How did I miss this post? I adore your quilts Susan and am in awe of the time it must have taken to make them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cherie & I can understand missing posts, especially for me at the moment with hit'n'miss internet. I hope to post again today.

      Delete
  11. Oh, these are both amazing quilts, Susan I love all the different directions and the border (!) of the first one, and the bold color in the second. And of course, the arrow quilting on both. The photo over the big arrow on the sign is a hoot.I would think it is great fun to photograph quilts outside and have other people wonder what you are up to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janine. I often wonder if people are amused, but I do take a lot outside, weather permitting.

      Delete