Sunday 5 September 2021

FRIDAY PHOTO SCAVENGER HUNT - SCHOOL

 Linking with Astrid for the Hunt and this week's word is "School", which I really struggled with, but here goes.  

A lovely old school in the south east corner of Victoria.  I took this photo last year when we had our 4 day break away in an unlockdown period and was greatly appreciated.

A new school being built on the new estate near to us last year and it is now in operation.  What a contrast to the one above which was built in 1877.  

Now for a couple of photos from the 60's.
The non digital age of listening to radio programmes broadcast across Australia for schools, especially vital for children in remote areas who did all their learning via School of the Air.  I did have all 4 from my Primary School years 1958-1961, but I can  only find these two.  Once in High school it was all very different.
My two younger brothers and myself at the beginning of the school year in 1964.  G (on the far left), in his uniform ready to start High school for his first year and it was to be my last year at school.  My youngest brother (middle), not in uniform always went to a Special school due to being intellectually disabled.  Look at the daggy uniform I have on.  You ought to have seen our summer hat & winter beret!  Oh...........and black stockings in winter too.
OK, my lot for this week and found I didn't have the photos I thought would be good.  Remembered that I lost a lot of my schooling years memorabilia in my parent's basement flood a long time ago.
Not sure I'm going to be in for next week's hunt as DH doesn't like Pizza, so never on the menu.  We'll see if I can think outside the box..................
Take care all, stay safe and hugs.
Susan.




15 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos which must have brought back some happy memories for you. I like the old school so very different from the modern one. Such a nice family photo, you have a look of my late cousin Janet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen & we did look through quite a few old photos from the past over the weekend.

      Delete
  2. I had the exact same pinafore as a school uniform.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We also had the box pleat square neck pinafore in primary school, which I think must have been around for ages.

      Delete
  3. It's lovely to look back at old photos, they bring back so many memories. What a contrast between the two schools, how things have changed over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, schooling has changed a "lot" over the years and that tiny old school was probably one of our one teacher teaches all, which were scattered all through rural areas. Most have either gone completely or been turned into homes.

      Delete
  4. Great photos and that little school is so cute. For next week I’m not sure what I will find either … I love pizza but have had a quick look through the archives and couldn’t find a single photo 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol & I've a good idea for "pizza" now, though it may be a bit strange.

      Delete
  5. Lovely photos especially your family one. I have happy/sad memories of schooldays and one or two photos of both me at primary school (we wore our own clothes and I didn't have a uniform until grammar school)and my mother too in class in the late 1920s, pinafore dresses and all. I'm sure you will find something pizza related, we have loads of leaflets pushed through the letter box but always make our own. Take care:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here in Oz, it was and still is mandatory for school uniforms, though a few of my school photos from early years showed us in casual dress as it was "photo day", otherwise we all wore uniforms and they still do. We have a "no junk mail" sign on our letterbox, so no leaflets for me.

      Delete
  6. The old school is so cute. Most modern schools are monstrosities. My last year in junior school (a new school for me as we had just moved int the area) did not have a school uniform policy but mother made one for me. I was the only child in some sort of uniform..... it was easier for her to dress me like this but I can't say I enjoyed it! Now I'm grown up (ha ha) I can wear what I what every day! Rather than pizza as such, how about 'piece of the action' which can sound like pizza...... have fun and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with school monstrosities, but I know we move forward also in architectural styles. As I explained to Carol, school uniforms were and are mandatory here. I've an idea for "pizza" which you may have heard of too.

      Delete
  7. Well done, a great post.
    I enjoyed seeing your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like seeing photos of old schools, is that one still being used for anything?
    The one with your brothers is just precious, I don't think I have any photos like that with my brothers.
    Thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must apologise, I read your post as soon as you put it on here but did not comment at the time. Just realised that I did not finish. I love your old school picture, much more character than the new one. Did you do School on the Air? Lovely picture of you with your brothers. We had horrible uniforms too. Hats and short socks all year round, just blazers when it was cooler. Then our winters were not as cold as yours. Take care. Look forward to your pizza post. xx

    ReplyDelete