Wednesday 26 November 2014

SHORT AND SWEET

I know I said I'd post last Saturday, but it came and went in a whir.  I have taken photos of the border tutorial, but am having trouble wording it, so it doesn't sound garbled.  Bare with me and I'll try my hardest to get it done.

Tomorrow, we are off to Warragul, to deliver a quilt to Vision Australia for their Xmas raffle.  I didn't give them one last year as we were packed up and renting.  It was the first year I've missed in about 5 years, so at the same time I'll also hand over one of the quilts I took from my friend Val.

Magnolia quilt I made many years ago and finally quilted last year.  Hope whoever wins it will enjoy.
Next to go on my machine will be a quilt that I've been told will be a "first and last".  The customer didn't enjoy the process at all.  It is to be a gift for her fiance, so needs a masculine quilt pattern, so have chosen one by Apricot Moon.

Customer quilt hanging over Bubs.
Selected pattern
Now for a little help from my garden bloggers.  I have a tree in our front garden, which has flowered and smells heavenly, but I have no idea what it is and can't seem to find it easily in any of my books.
A couple of photos for you.

The "tree".

The flowers.
Hubby had to cut one of the lower branches so he didn't catch himself when he mowed the lawn, and I couldn't help but arrange some in a vase with some mauve on it.  This particular vase I bought in my late teens, which is also around the time I bought my first flower arranging book, although I'd been borrowing them from the library for years.  I do have quite a collection, I'm afraid.   I've loved arranging flowers since a child and received a highly commended card for a saucer arrangement when I was five.(still have it)  Strange, eh!


Not so sure it's been all that short, but will try and post more regularly and get that tutorial on for a certain someone.  Will be back with some more holiday pics too.  Brrrr!  It's going to get down to 4deg tonight and it's already feeling a bit nippy.
Now I'm heading off for the lounge to do some sewing up on my jumper, as I've bought a wool needle, though I was sure I had a couple, but of course couldn't find any and whilst doing this will be watching Building the Dream with Charlie Luxton, just one of the shows I enjoy.
Take care all.
Susan.

11 comments:

  1. I have no idea what your tree is I am afraid, but it is very beautiful so I am sure you will enjoy it. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautiful and wish we had smellavision, so everyone can have a sniff. I'm sure someone will know.

      Delete
  2. I'm guessing at some sort of lilac - I'm sure that Jayne will be able to help further.

    That's a lovely pair of quilts - the quilting design for the one for your customer's fiance is absolutely spot on. Such a shame that your customer didn't enjoy the making it as she has put together a fabulous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Hazel. I'm pretty sure it's not a lilac. I have 2 small shrubby ones in front of the verandah and also grew a gorgeous one over in Warragul. Actually the leaves are the wrong shape. Might have a look in another book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your tree may be Melia azedarach or Chinaberry Tree. What a beautiful quilt you're donating for the raffle, there's going to be a very pleased winner. I love the pattern you've chosen for the man's quilt, it does look masculine somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, for both the compliments and information. Just looked up Melia in my old Readers Digest "Complete Book of the Garden" and although there is no picture, it sounds right and is actually an Australian native. Life is just one huge learning curve.
      Thanks again.

      Delete
    2. Well done, Jo! I've just googled images for Melia azedarach and the flowers and foliage are spot on!

      Delete
    3. Yes I googled it too and it's even an Australian native and they say it smells like chocolate. Not sure about that, but it certainly smells nice. Thanks Jo.

      Delete
  5. Wow, that is one heck of a raffle prize, well done.

    And well done also to Jo for identify the tree, it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayne, and that's the smallest one I've donated over the years as they have mostly been for the top of a double bed, but anyway I like to do something for them as I volunteered there for nearly 10 years. Isn't Jo clever and it is a lovely tree.

      Delete
  6. Your magnolia quilt is stunning! Whoever wins that will be very lucky indeed. x

    ReplyDelete