Monday 24 August 2015

NEARLY SPRING.

The last of winter is nearly here and the weather has definitely been better the last few days.   We've taken advantage of that.   Last Wednesday I hankered after a walk along the beach and smelling the sea air, so took a quick trip south of home through the hills to the coast.  It was cool and windy and I forgot to take the camera on the walk, but managed to take a few photos near to the car park.  Having a wet, cold and windy winter has the beaches looking quite forlorn and filled with debris from high tides and wayward waves.
A big thank you too, for all my lovely comments on last posting.  I've tried hard not to use the computer as much lately, so I can catch up on lots, but do pop in and read my emails and bloglist, but alas just didn't get around to replying on my own.

Some of the debris gathered together.

Looking toward the headland.





On the way home we saw these.
Daffodils and jonquils beside the road.
Rain clouds gathering, but precipitation didn't eventuate.



SATURDAY.



We decided to head to Mirboo North, as we knew there was a little bric a brac shop, which  also sells old building materials, hoping to find some timber sleepers and pavers. (maybe!) On the way we stopped at a small lookout point to eat our sandwiches and this was our view. Lovely and green at the moment.

When we arrived in town, the shop was closed, so armed with my camera we walked around town, looking at the lovely murals.  They are somewhat faded these days, but still special.




Some of the murals above..  Notice this one has a kookaburra, magpie, cockatoo, blue fairy wren, kangaroo, wallaby, koala and bilby  with the two men.
On the way home, we followed a narrow gravel road, which is frequented by log trucks on weekdays when they are working in the forests.  Glad it was the weekend.  We stopped where the road widened and I took these photos.  Sorry it's a bit heavy on scenery today!

Moore green hills.

Cattle taking a walk across the farm dam wall.

SHOULD I TELL AND SHOW!!
I pulled this tub from underneath my quilting machine, as I've done very little on her lately and am ashamed that I do have a stack of my own to finish at some time.  Some were made to learn a new technique, showcase a wow fabric or made "just because".  I'll keep some as gifts, some for charity and special ones to stay until I feel they can be let go.

The tub.
Tub emptied into stacks, which is quite scary and very messy.  Most have backings with them, so that is good.

I've also been playing with fabric and this is on the design wall at the moment and crocheting whilst watching TV of a night, along with a spot of reading.  The latest book was 'Walking Home' by Simon Armitage.  It is about a journey along the Penine Way from north to south, instead of the way most people go, which is south to north.  I found it very informative and entertaining too.  The best part was that this walk travels through two villages where my ancestors came from.

More about this in time.
Giant granny square, with quite a few more rounds to go.
A pretty full week with our outings interspersed with the usual mundane housework, making meals, a little gardening, catching up with friends and trying to design a quilt for seven embroideries which I showed way back in May 2013 and must get done.  Hope all have good week ahead and take care.
Susan.

18 comments:

  1. Lovely scenery in your part of the world. Long time since I have been for a drive without needing to go somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, it's just to get out into countryside and away from endless houses. Maybe I'm a bit strange.

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos of your drive, Susan. I want to say that I hope spring comes soon for you but that would mean that autumn would come soon for us and I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne. It is very lovely in the hills, both to the north and south of us. I do hope autumn doesn't come to quick and you get some more warmth.

      Delete
  3. Your days out look lovely, it won't be long before spring's with you now as autumn is definitely on its way here. There was flooding in Garforth on Saturday after a heavy thunder storm, needless to say, Mick's cricket match was abandoned just after they bowled the other team out. It will end up a draw now. The weather yesterday wasn't much better. The murals are wonderful, I particularly like the last one depicting some of Australia's wildlife. I can't remember the last time I picked up my crochet but I'm slowly getting back in to my crafting again after a busy summer. Your giant granny square is coming on lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. The weather can be so strange and wild. Southern NSW has had it tough too with huge storms, in an area where we lived for ten years. Just about to see it on the news. We have a few towns here in Oz, that have wonderful murals, especially one in Tasmania. Look forward to seeing what you start crafting.

      Delete
  4. Those murals are just great. We need more of that sort of thing happening I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they great. When we lived in Tassie, a trip to Sheffield to see the murals there was wonderful. We've not been there for years, so maybe we should think about a trip "across the sea". (Bass Strait of course).

      Delete
  5. Your quilt stash is really impressive....and it's lovely to see some photos of the scenery in your 'corner of the world'. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan, actually I'm a bit ashamed of it. This little corner is quite scenic and 'very' green at the moment.

      Delete
  6. Very beautiful country pictures. Aren't those murals something? They are so pretty and romantic. I love your granny square afghan; I made one similar quite a few years ago using up the remnants of yarn. It's still one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always lovely to see some beautiful scenery!!! Looks as though you had a great day out. Those murals are amazing aren't they!!! Hope you have fun going through your piles and deciding what to work on and what to do next! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. We can lovely drives from here with hills, mountains and coast not too far away. My mind boggles sometimes with how many I've still got too quilt, but maybe I should just see it as fun and something to keep my busy at times, though I've so many other things I want to try too.

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous post - full of my favourite things .... quilting, walking, green hills, beaches and driftwood. What's not to enjoy! xCathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathy. Just took a quick peak at your blog and your ceramics are 'AWESOME".

      Delete
  9. Finally got round to visiting you - thanks for your comment on my blog :) I love the murals, especially the one of the "garage", just brilliant :)
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill for popping by and I'm not the best visitor to blogs except on my sidebar, but as you crochet I just couldn't resist. I'll pop in from time to time and see what you've been up to.

      Delete