Monday 17 June 2019

LONG OVERDUE...this 'n' that!

I won't beat about the bush, but I'm not very motivated with anything at the moment.  Cold gloomy weather & hitting a big 0 birthday this year is leaving me a little perplexed..............
Anyhow, photos have been happening, so let's have a little catchup.

Hubby has been busy in his 'shed'.  The above are the animals he has cut for a pull-along child's toy.
I'll pop on another photos once finished along with a lovely train he's making too.  These along with some of his pens are to be sold at a small local craft shop.
Above are a container made from a Banksia, which could store pens or paintbrushes & a leaf bookmark fashioned from very fine timber.  I'm keeping the bookmark!!

A day out saw us watching boats on Port Phillip Bay at Williamstown on our way to DD's as a surprise, though the surprise was on us, as they weren't home.  Did what we did, & had a spur of the moment day out.😞
 A large ship,  making it's way out of the bay, along with some very friendly seagulls.
A walk along the foreshore had us crunching over all these shells.  My goodness, it is amazing where they must all come from.

In the garden.............
 Making an appearance in my pot, are these little bulbs, which I call tiny pink bluebells.  I'm surprised they are still there as the birds dug quite a few up during summer.
One of my hellebores with lots of buds.  This is usually the first one to flower.
A few jonquil bulbs I popped in the corner of a bed have also made an appearance again & have buds.
I wasn't sure how the garden would survive last summer's heat & drought conditions, but looks like we made it through.
Still in the garden, we've been having some different visitors. 
Although I've seen him before, this year he has come more often & is now bringing a friend.  Hard to capture a good photo, but this is a grey butcher bird, (Cracticus torquatus) & reminds us of a small kookaburra in shape.  Hope we see a few more of our native birds over time.

One Monday morning I did some baking................
                                              A ginger loaf & chocolate peppermint slice. 
Whilst making these I put on some LP records & bopped away in the kitchen along with cooking.

Taking a walk one afternoon, we discovered this fungi. It is autumn, so we see plenty at the moment, but not many this HUGE.
                                                                         The big one.
                                                                       A cluster coming up.
There was once a gigantic gum tree on this spot at the corner of two streets & the council cut it down.
So many people were devastated, as it was like a landmark & I wish I'd taken a photo of it at some time.
And last...............
Last week I had this cut off to shoulder length.  I was having trouble reaching the bottom of it.
Much tidier, but still keeps my ears & head warm in the cold weather.  😉

OK, enough from me.  Hope to be back later in the week with a "quilty" catchup post.
Off to put the heater on, ring little brother & try to do some hand sewing after tea with my poor hands full of chillblains.
Have a great week all, take care & huggles.
Susan.





21 comments:

  1. A lovely newsy post. K is so clever, he really does make some beautiful things, I wouldn't be able to part with any of them. What a shame your daughter was out when you went visiting but glad you managed to make a day of it anyway, a day out on the spur of the moment is always fun. It's definitely the wrong time of year to be having your hair cut, you need a woolly hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. The woodwork bits make good presents, but I have quite a few things, so am a lucky girl. The hair isn't too short & I wear a beanie most of winter when outside.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely post. I love those little animals and the Banksia container too. Lovely to see the Butcher bird, I'd never heard of one before so I'm looking forward to seeing more of your native birds. Have a lovely week:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie. I do find birds hard to photograph, but looking back under my 'bird' label, I've managed quite a few over the years.

      Delete
  3. Spending a bit of time trying to catch up on all of your Blog posts ! You have made some lovely quilts = I'm sure your MoJo will return soon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you L. Just about to pop over to yours get a catch up too.

      Delete
  4. Lots of lovely things in this post. Hubby is very talented, such beautiful woodwork. An unplanned day out is always a nice treat, what a shame your daughter wasn't home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. DH is having fun now retired & he doesn't get under cars easily these days, so we've got to keep ourselves busy with life.

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed seeing all of your photographs, especially the fungi.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos Susan, but where is the after photo of the hair cut?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy. Maybe I'll get K to take another photo......
      Isn't it cold today? BRRRR!!!!

      Delete
  7. What a lovely miscellany. xxx Thank you so much for the gift of your phone call this weekend, it was absolutely super to spend an hour with you :)

    Looks like you've achieved far more than me {grin}.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayne. I couldn't believe an hour went so fast. It's so cold at the moment (for us), that I don't feel I'm achieving much at all. Just trying to keep warm.

      Delete
  8. You and your husband are both super talented. You should open up a craft shop together. :) Funny to think it's Autumn where you are. Is the fungi edible? Have a lovely week. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shazza. I think a craft shop at our age now would be a step too far, but we'll keep busy anyway. The fungi would't be edible, though I do love the shapes/colours & they appear in the most unexpected places. I just realised, it is actually winter this month (lol), silly me. Definitely cold.

      Delete
  9. Good to see you post again! K is so clever... and so are you :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely set of photos, hope the weather is a little better and you are feeling in good spirits. Wrap up and go for a walk.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda. Managed to fit in a quick walk yesterday between showers, although very cold still. If I don't get out for a walk, I get cabin fever.(giggle) We rugged up well.

      Delete
  11. A lovely post - that bookmark is fab, I'm not surprised you're keeping it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise. I tend to keep the best he does.

      Delete