Thursday 12 December 2019

FIVE ON FRIDAY - GRATITUDE

Linking with Kate at I live, I love, I craft, I am me, for her 5 on Friday - gratitude - linkup.

First up.................
1. Still being asked by your children if you are able to make something for them.
DDs idea was for a small table beside her couch for her device, glass of water & maybe a book.
DH took this photo on his phone after he finished it, before it goes.  DD has a birthday 3 days after Xmas & this will be her present this year.
DstepD was saying she'd like some bright cushions for her conservatory whilst we were in the UK.  She showed me some on Pinterest & when we got home, I'd booked into a techniques class & thought a cushion would be a good use for the block I was to make.  Ah, then I remembered a block I'd made many years ago & turned that into a cushion too & now they have been posted for her birthday, which is on Sunday.

2.. Still having good hearing.
On Sunday whilst eating my breakfast, I heard a strange noise, and as I got up to investigate, I remembered what it might be.  Out to take a quick look, back in again to grab camera & voila..............
A hot air balloon floating across our suburb.  I tried to take a photo with the flame rising, but missed it each time.

3.  Some warmth, though not a lot hear in southern Victoria.
Unlike the northern parts of Australia, which are suffering from severe drought, heat & fires.  The little warmth has been enough to ripen....
wait for it.............
Three blueberries.  There are lots more ready to ripen, but lack of sunshine & warm weather has delayed them somewhat.

4.  Having a strong sense of smell.
My Port Wine Magnolia (Michelia figo) has insignificant flowers, but the most intoxicating heady perfume, which on a sunny day in the late afternoon can be quite overpowering.  I love it.
Such small flowers for a very strong perfume.

5.  Wildlife, however small.
Some moths are tiny & not too noteworthy, but when 3 children are gathered around "something" on a verandah floor, I took notice and went to find out what they had found.
And this what they were mesmerised by.  Such a beautiful moth.  This happened on the day of the Hill Climb at our Car Club Rally in November (yes, not quite this week), and as everyone was filing from door of the reception centre after lunch, the children were worried it might be crushed under some feet.  Not game enough to touch it, I offered to see what I could do.  I put my finger close to it's feet & luckily, it stepped onto said finger & I lifted it off the floor & put it on top of the back wall of the verandah, out of harm's way.  Hopefully it lived  to see another day.

OK, this might pop up a tad early, but we have a busy day tomorrow and as I missed last weeks, I'm getting in now.  Thanks Kate for reminding me to be grateful for all around us and taking the time to appreciate it.
Take care all & hopefully I can do some catching up on my own blog and others.
Huggles, Susan.




11 comments:

  1. We've all got a lot to be grateful for if we just take the time to think about it, even those three tasty blueberries, ripened by the sun. I love the table and cushions, they're lucky having such talented parents who can turn their hand to these things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. We are grateful (I hope), for a lot of little things we tend to take for granted. Being asked by our children & grandchildren if we could make or help with something is to be cherished. Miss A, now 23 sort of hinted at a new quilt & it is being worked on now along with some other projects. BTW, I owe you an email, which I hope to do in the next couple of days. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Lovely - it is just the daily small things, taken for granted, that we are lucky to have - little things that make our lives that much nicer :) if you get a chance, add your url to the link up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very nice five here …
    That moth really is beautiful.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. I actually thought the moth was a fake one, but it wasn't.

      Delete
  4. A good set of 5 gratitudes (not sure is there is such a word!). Love the moth and the cushions. I once had a blueberry bush and the berries were ripening; I went out the next day to find the local birds had eaten them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M. Ah, we net out 2 bushes, which we believe were planted around 2003 & are around 5ft high & yielded about 16kgs last year. We sold some, I ate them fresh & froze lots, but not sure we'll have as many this summer. I let the birds have their small share at the end of the season when some are not very good & any from the ground.

      Delete
  5. Wow I love the moth. It's beautiful. I'm glad you were able to remove it to a safe place. Hailstones here today. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. Hailstones? We usually only get big ones in summer, though we do get teeny weeny ones in winter, which we call sago snow, though only way down south in Oz.

      Delete
  6. Love the table that K made, he needs to go into production!

    ReplyDelete