Saturday 17 October 2020

HOLIDAY BREAK DAYS 2 & 3.

TUESDAY.

The day again arrived overcast and drizzly, but we packed some lunch & thermos and headed towards Loch Sport, somewhere we've not been to before.  Loch Sport is a holiday destination & not much else, a spit of land sandwiched between the Gippsland Lakes and Ninety Mile Beach.

Emus.

Along the way we spotted these and I took a photo from my window, due to it being very overgrown along the verge & I'd probably have disappeared into it, but DH braved getting out and................oh my...... the car filled with mosquitoes.  Hundreds of them, which we then swatted at, all the way to Loch Sport.

Finding a car park not far from the beach we parked up, ate our lunch, then with a break in the misty showers, we quickly walked down to the beach.  A few photos follow.

Walking against the wind.

Looking at the small sand-hills & bordering scrub. 

Another misty shower as I took this snap of the information board.

Looking down the track to the car park from the information board.


Turning back toward the sea.

More of the coastal ti-tree beside the car park.
We decided to head for the caravan taking another unexplored route along the coastal road beside Ninety Mile Beach.  First we had to cross a small inlet to take us back through town & I just had to snap this.................
Big Nessie & Little Nessie.
Somebody has an imagination.

Oh and this was the surprise of the day and I couldn't believe my eyes.  Pulled over quickly and at least got one good photo as she turned to look at us, then hopped away to follow her two companions.
Mum with her joey in someone's front yard in Loch Sport.


Also spotted these two murals on private houses.


And a better photo of the emus, who had moved to a more open paddock.

Plus more of the coastal ti-tree and heath in both pink & white.
Finally driving along the coastal road, we discovered this..................
The last remains of the shipwreck Trinculo which you can read about on the board .


A small curly sponge I spotted beside the wreck.

After capturing the last photo, I was suddenly inundated with mosquitoes once again & made a quick retreat towards the track back to the car.   Luckily they didn't follow us and we could take the track at our leisure & more photo spotting for me.
Lichen covered trees.

                     A carpet of lime green moss.
WEDNESDAY.
Breakfast finished, we had already planned to have lunch at Port Albert on one of the days as a little luxury treat.  They have a great fish and chip shop, so off we went.  Murky weather once again and also very windy.  Taking another new to us road, we came upon the little locality of Tarraville, which boasts a handful of houses, an old school and church, so out with the camera once again.
The church, above & below.


The school, above and below.


I also spotted this beautiful derelict building and anyone who knows me well, must know that I can't resist these evocative structures.
Isn't it lovely?

Arrived in Port Albert to howling wind & much misty rain, so no decent photos.  I'll remedy that some day, but the fish & chips were lovely.  Headed for home along the South Gippsland Highway, where you pass through the small township of Alberton where I found a mural on the side of the Hotel on an earlier trip down this way.  Hence the clearer sky, as we'd had better weather back then early in the year.

Another lovely (although wet & windy) day was had, and discovering lots of new to us roads off main highways is something we delight in.  Not for everyone I know.
I'll catch up again hopefully tomorrow with the last bit of the trip, as I've lost count of all the things I've been going to post about over the last 2 months, namely some of our local walks & drives and lots of crafty bits.  Thanks for following & still commenting everyone.
Take care, stay safe & huggles.
Susan.

13 comments:

  1. I love the sea on windy cloudy days, shades of grey, loads of movement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing the kangaroo with the joey in her pouch would have made my day, and you managed to get such a great photo of it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I couldn't have been more chuffed.

      Delete
  3. Great post, lovely photographs - especially the Mum with her joey :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. I was sure everyone would like the Roo snap.



      Delete
  4. I think I need to move to Australia, I'd love to have a kangaroo with its joey in my garden :) I love the murals too, the first one is gorgeous and the dog in the second one reminds me of the old Canadian tv series Littlest Hobo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eunice. Back in the 80's we had kangaroos in our yard occasionally while living in Batlow & again in Cowra around 2000. When in Tasmania we lived in the suburbs of Hobart & the kids used to put out carrot pieces for the possums, so we've often had wildlife around.

      Delete
  5. I bet you get such a thrill seeing those Kangeroos. I'd be so excited. How on earth do biting flying insects not get blown away in the wind.. My hubby would be eaten alive as they all seem to find him very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cherie. I love spotting wildlife & always get a thrill. DH is a magnet too for them, but luckily we were all rugged up due to it being so cold.

      Delete
  6. Love the kangaroo and joey! Perfect timing to show up for your photo shoot :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Murals, the coast, Nessie monsters and a kangaroo with Joey. Beautiful. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. Yes, there was lots to see & for photos, even though it was quite a murky week weatherwise, but we must take advantage of every little thing at the moment.

      Delete