Thursday 26 April 2018

APRIL SCAVENGER PHOTO HUNT (2018)

A set of words to find photos for, hosted by Kate.

1.  SWIRL.
A chance photo I took last Thursday, whilst out at a National Trust property, Gulf Station in the Yarra Valley.  These wee little cyclamen were under a huge tree amongst much leaf litter & once uploaded to my computer I could see the cute swirly stems.  A great find as I didn't have one for this word.  (you may have to click on the photo to enlarge,)

2.  ROCK.
One from the archives, taken many years ago whilst on holiday in New South Wales.  Sawn Rocks in the Warrumbungle Ranges National Park are fascinating as to how and where pieces of rock have fallen from the cliff face of the mountains here.  One lot of these look like steps.

3.  WOOD.
Another from the same trip showing the inside of a gigantic woolshed in Mungo National Park near Broken Hill in the very west of New South Wales.  This is not used anymore, but can you imagine it full of sheep, shearers, wool classers & pressers, plus tarboys with their pots of tar in case a sheep got cut accidently.  It was awesome.

4.  LETTER.
Aha, the letter "S" which makes up my three initials.  We pass this frequently if we shop in a nearby town.  It is located in a laneway between the shops & I've been going to take a photo for years.  Well, I took my camera over the weekend and captured it.

5.  BALANCE.
Koalas do a "LOT" of sleeping.   Amazingly they balance on very slim branches in deep slumber and don't fall from the tree.  Taken on one of our visits to Raymond Island in East Gippsland.

6.  MY OWN CHOICE.
Another photo taken last Thursday of the farm dam at Gulf Station.  Although I could see the reflections, they came out better than I thought in the photo.

That's my lot for this hunt.  I do hope I can get some more blogging done next month, but we've much happening at the moment and I'm just a tad overwhelmed with everything.
I'm looking forward to the other photo hunter's take on the words.
Take care all & lots of huggles from down under.
Susan.

32 comments:

  1. Awww, how cute is that koala. My mum's initials are SS too, I didn't realise you had a third S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. Koalas are cute & being able to see them naturally is great too. I didn't realise your Mum had the same as me. I'll email over the weekend.

      Delete
  2. Great photos. Love the Koala and the Cyclamens
    Julie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. Cyclamen photo was definitely a bonus for me.

      Delete
  3. really interesting stories and photos, Eldest's new cyclamen has also developed those curly wurly stems too, he was initially disappointed as it meant it had come to the end of the flowering season until I explained these were the beginnings of the seeds - thanks for joining in xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate & for hosting. Mine never gets those sort of stems, but it is one of the larger variety in a pot.

      Delete
  4. Love those curling cyclamens and the koala too, the reflections in the dam are lovely:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely dam! I'd love to live somewhere with that on my property! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. You could build one on your block.

      Delete
  6. Nice to find your initials on your travels. I have an S too of course but only one. I would love to see a koala. Will have to stick to grey squirrels. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shazza. I've not always had 3 S's, only the last 41 years. You could visit Oz & see some koalas.

      Delete
  7. Your rocks are lovely. I love rocks, the bigger the better! The letter S is interesting as I've seen something similar in the UK and they form the end of a long rod to help keep the wall of a building from falling out. Well I think that is what they do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M. The S is exactly what you say & stops the wall joined to another wall from bowing out & falling.

      Delete
  8. Love the swirls - I have never seen them before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol & I'd never seen them before either, but Kate filled us in (above) on what they are.

      Delete
  9. Love all your photographs this month Susan. That old shed must have been filled with echoes and memories of shearers long ago. The reflections are gorgeous. Take it easy. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. I love old farm buildings & can you imagine the stories they could tell.

      Delete
  10. I love the photo of the dam, and the sleeping koala looks super cute. I've often wondered what would happen if one fell out of a tree onto someone's head but obviously they are very good at balancing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm not sure to tell here on my blog, but hubby thinks they stay there because of a certain piece of anatomy (giggle).

      Delete
  11. Lovely pics again Susan, is the koala in a eucalyptus tree we had one in our garden with similar leaves and it grew huge. However we never found a koala. We now have bamboos but no pandas lol. The dam reflections are gorgeous .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes Barb, it is in a eucalypt & some of them can grow to a massive size.

      Delete
  12. Loving your fabulous S

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some great photos ! That woolshed!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lesley. It was quite mind blowing.

      Delete
  14. I was hoping to see a tie on the side of a building for Letter, but didn't manage to find one, so well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My tie beam is something you don't see very often here, so am lucky this one is near to us & is also one of my initials, actually my 3 initials.

      Delete
  15. Thanks John. I try to find some photos that might interest the other hunters, as most live in UK.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've being feeling overwhelmed recently too - there's always so much to do, I need more hours in a day! Like you, I'm hoping for more time to blog (and scavenger hunt) soon!

    I like your last photo, it's a peaceful scene. Great find for letter too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise, hope summer brings a little more time to chill out.

      Delete
  17. Hi Susan, I'm very late to the blog party this month - I love your koala picture and the little swirly cyclamen - I'd never noticed those stems before. And the wool shed brought back a lovely memory of visiting a sheep farm when we were in NSW a few years back.. There's a great atmosphere in them.
    I hope your back pain improves - there's nothing worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fil. Glad the woolshed brought some memories for you.

      Delete