Wednesday 29 April 2020

UK TRIP 2019 - THORNTON-LE-DALE

As promised, although a little late, here is a look at the above village through an Aussie's eyes & camera lens.
Carrying on from my last UK trip post, we'd had a lovely lunch & headed toward Thornton-le-dale, to have a look at the Motor Museum, only to find it closed for a week after their auction.  We did see a few cars out the front & through the windows, but couldn't go inside to wander.
Parking the car in the large car park, we headed toward the main street & along the way saw all of these beautiful carvings & other photogenic bits.
An owl & a squirrel.

Some ducklings with Mum.

Ah, real ducks on the water.

Another owl.

Houses along the stream.

A small weir on the other side.
These were all taken between the car park & the main shopping area.  It was all so lovely.
Finally made it to the Museum, where I took my one & only photo of these cars for a friend in our Car Club who own a collection of Austins too.
We kept on exploring and came across another footpath along the stream & madly kept snapping.  You can tell I was quite captivated by this place.
Very artistic/

Tranquility plus.
Back along the road & more stopping to take photos.
The church.

A row of stone terrace houses.

Flowers on the wall.  I looooooooooove these.
Further along back on the bridge over the stream I took this photo, although I took a few of it from the footpath, I kept getting people in it.  This time I caught it people-less (is that a word?).   Most will know this cottage from calendars & possibly even biscuit tins & other memorabilia.  Why?
It is Beck Isle cottage. (I think that is what it is called).
Heading back into the car park & I noticed these.
Bug hotels.

Stunning golden rod.
That was an afternoon spent in a wonderful village, wandering to our heart's content.
About it from me for this post & future posts will have only positives and not how I might be feeling, but what we are doing to pass the time and lots of photos.
Take care all, stay safe and huggles from down under.
Susan.

20 comments:

  1. It's such a picturesque village, lovely for a stroll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those carvings especially the first one with the owl and squirrel. We have a woodfest country show near to us each year but not this year I don't doubt. That is a lovely village. As long as you keep on blogging I for one will look forward to your posts no matter how you're feeling, you can share so don't worry!
    Stay safe and well x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. I'm a bird of prey nutter, so anything like owls etc. have to to be snapped or if real petted. So many English villages are sort of warm & cuddly.

      Delete
  3. Lovely walk, I like the detail in the owl and squirrel carved tree trunk x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. You know how we like anything to do with timber, be it trees or working with it, so these drew us in straight away.

      Delete
  4. I must make a note of all the places you visited and put them on my 'potential days out' list. It looks absolutely gorgeous there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cherie. Lots to do if & when lockdown finishes in your neck of the woods, which is so beautiful.

      Delete
  5. Someone made a great job of the animal carving in the wood. A nice village.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. We love wood carvings & have some beauties here in Oz too. Must pop a few on from previous places we've been that very interesting.

      Delete
  6. What a lovely post, I did enjoy all of your photographs, what a beautiful area.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. It is lovely all up through there.

      Delete
  7. Charming village and great pictures; you have a good eye for that. Why are terrace houses called terrace houses? Because they are built side by side? I think its a British term. We use terrace as a porch or patio. You obviously have good memories of that trip. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna. I was always fascinated by terrace houses when we went into inner areas of Sydney when I was a little girl. I think they were originally built on hillsides like terracing a slope, though these days are on flat land too. The memories stay, as it is somewhere we love.

      Delete
  8. How wonderful! Those carvings are excellent and the cottage lovely. It looks a delightful place to visit. I wonder wha it is like to live there? Take care and stay safe:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie. Except for it being a bit touristy, I think it would be a very pretty place to live.

      Delete
  9. The positives are great but I hope you are feeling ok? Everything is a bit much right now isn't it but all your lovely reminiscences are so great to see! Such gorgeous places. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Evi & yes I'm OK, just a bit befuddled with what day it is & trying not to get in a knot over which project to start next, though not much now in the garden with this nasty weather. Just realised you are in one of our wonderful Mural Towns.(big smile).

      Delete
  10. Looks a lovely little place. Is it in Yorkshire? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. Yes, it is in Yorkshire on the A170 between Pickering & Scarborough.

      Delete