Sunday 3 December 2017

ADVENT CALENDAR.............DAYS 1, 2, 3.

Joining in with Julie for an Advent Calendar for 2017 in words & photos, similar to Kate's Scavenger Photo Hunt.
I'll be posting several days at a time due to a busy December, so will pop up at odd times.  Hope you enjoy.  The full list of words are posted on the above blog.

DAY 1------LETTERBOX.
This photo was taken at Chiddingstone Castle in Kent, last year whilst visiting UK.  A chance find in my archives when looking for the November photos.

DAY 2------SOMETHING HANDCRAFTED FOR CHRISTMAS.
Here we have the quilt I made in a Christmas Quiltalong back in 2012, which was the start of my blogging journey.  It was started when I contacted Sue from Quilt Times who suggested I join in.  I was sending progress photos via email & "someone" suggested I start my own blog & although it took many months to get my head around the whole concept, I had it up & running in January 2013, so I've my fifth anniversary coming soon.  The little tree on the piano top was made by hubby & the wreath many moons ago by me for our front door at No. 4.

DAY 3------FAVOURITE CHRISTMAS RECIPE.
Here in Australia, we can have very hot weather for Christmas, which isn't favourable for the heavy type food enjoyed in the cooler climes of the Northern Hemisphere during December.  Many people opt for a barbecue or lighter lunch of cold meats (still traditional ham or turkey), and a salad.  Sometimes I do a potato bake as well.  Desserts are often fruit salads & ice cream, pavlova or trifle.
Still favouring a traditional Christmas pudding, I make this much lighter version a few days before the big day & reheat for lunch or dinner & serve with custard or cream. 

Hope you've enjoyed my first few days & I've been having fun finding photos to fit the words, although I've a few on the harder to find scale, but we'll get there in the end. 
Be here again in a few days.  Take care all.
Susan.

20 comments:

  1. Love the letterbox and the quilt, and I am going to make that Christmas Pudding. I have saved the picture!

    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie & do hope you enjoy the pudding.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Julie & do hope you enjoy the pudding.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful quilt. I really like the colours in it.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun idea, an advent calendar in pictures. I look forward to seeing what else you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, I'm still looking for some on the list.

      Delete
  4. I remember hot Christmases, we still had the roast turkey and the trimmings, the flaming Christmas pud, carols and glitter from cards which stuck to hot sweaty skin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you could probably relate to the "hot" part & there have been times when we had the traditional, but think lighter is the better way to these days. We had glitter stuck to us yesterday after a dual car club get together & it wasn't even hot.(giggle).

      Delete
  5. I love your beautiful quilt.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susan, I’ve a few on the harder to find scale as well and some I’m really scratching my head over! We live in the UK but our son is in Australia, so we have spent one Christmas there. We couldn’t get over the variety and amount of food on offer on Christmas day! Our Australian daughter-in-law is the youngest of seven and at Christmas the entire family – husbands, wives, boyfriends, children and so on get together, and everyone brings at least one platter of food. It was a wonderful Christmas spent with truly amazing people who could not have made us more welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara and glad you enjoyed your Christmas here in Oz. Not always easy to catch up with family on our large continent.

      Delete
  7. Have enjoyed your first three days of Advent photos. The pudding sounds delicious:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the quilt...great start to your advent calendar. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie & now I've caught up with everyone else who has joined in too.

      Delete
  9. Love all your catch up pictures. Quilt gorgeous and pudding sounds delicious. Yes, hot weather at Christmas. Always had meal at night when it was cooler, by candlelight but butter still melted if put out too early!! Worried whether it would rain or not, rather that snow! Look forward to your next catch up pictures. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't the letterbox quaint! Your quilt is utterly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These posts take so much time and effort, I am in awe of you all :), xx

    ReplyDelete