Sunday 8 May 2016

DREARY SUNDAY

Hope all mothers here in Oz, have had a lovely Mother's day.  The weather has been wet, cool and overcast here in Victoria.

The bare branches against a grey sky with a few sparrows resting.
Last Saturday, I heard a car in our driveway and went out to investigate and what did I find on my doorstep, but this ---------

A  parcel.

The contents.
This parcel came all the way from The Wool Warehouse in the UK and was my mother's day present from DD.  It is the Cupcake Pack for a crochet rug by Lucy from Attic 24.  I will be starting this during the long winter nights whilst watching TV.  I hope to finish this below before I start on the rug.





I had some hanks of wool from many years ago that I'd stashed away and some old knitting magazines, and decided to make myself another jumper.  The above is what is on the go.  The magazine is actually dated October 1986 and is a publication called SANDRA and the pattern only has charted instructions, which I've never attempted before.  It's all going OK, so now know that I can follow a chart.

This morning I put the second customer quilt on the machine.

Dog panels with sashing.

Closeup of quilting.
Done by 3pm.

It didn't take long as it was an easy Edge to Edge pattern she wanted on it, with bones.  I will deliver this tomorrow morning to our local quilt shop.

Whilst out one day in March, at an Antique & Collectables place, I discovered this little footstool and just couldn't resist, although it does need recovering.  Being on the extremely short side, I need something to rest my feet on and so far I'm wondering how I go along without it.  I hope to recover it sometime in the future, but you just can't hurry these things.(lol)

Footstool.
Another find has been given the treatment it needed  and is now hanging on the wall above my desk in the study.  This print was purchased in Ambleside in 2014 and has sat rolled in a postal tube.  I took it to the framers and they quoted me $150 to have a simple mat and frame and I just couldn't justify it.  On our little forays into A & C's (see above), I kept a lookout for a suitable frame and found this one with an old print in it, which only cost $15, and the thick cardboard for around the edge $4, was cut by hubby and we think it looks great for a lot less expense.

Aerial Map of The Lake District.
OK, enough of my ramblings today, but it made a dismal and misty afternoon go by quickly whilst posting this.  It is a jumble of bits I've been going to blog about and just haven't got around to.
Hope your weekend has been a good one and all take care.
Susan.

9 comments:

  1. It's a gorgeous day here, we've been having some beautiful weather, long awaited. I don't think you've used Stylecraft Special DK before, have you? I'm a big fan, it's nice to use and wears and washes well. I absolutely love the doggy quilt and what fun quilting it in bones. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I could just about be old enough(giggle). No I haven't and I'm looking forward to using the wool and DD has used what she bought and when she's done I'll post a pic.

      Delete
  2. Enjoy your new yarn! It will make a lovely blanket and I will look forward to seeing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, but you'll probably have to wait awhile.

      Delete
  3. Haven´t used that yarn, one to try perhaps. Love parcels like that. I usually use Deramores, so will have to check out this company. The pattern on your jumper looks complicated! well done for trying, I´m not that confident! xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping in Chrissie. Once you've got your head around the stitch symbols it's really no different to the abbreviations used in a normal pattern. Check out the Wool Warehouse online, as they have some lovely colours.

      Delete
  4. That map looks familiar, {{smile}}. Well done on the framing, I often keep pictures we no longer want on our walls because the frames are too good to get rid of.

    Look forward to seeing your crochet, the packs from Attic 24 are so luscious I'm amazed I have resisted so far (might have something to do with so little time, and already too many hobbies!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet it does. Hubby loves contour type maps, and of course it is nearly top of our many favourites. You'll have to wait a little while to see me start that rug, though I may not be able to finish a few other things quickly and as it is an easy pattern, it might be something that happens when you don't want to think too much. Hope you have a lovely visit to see the bluebells on Thursday. Huggles and take care.

      Delete
  5. You've been busy Susan! Looking forward to seeing the rug you make from the yarn. I'll call you soon xxx

    ReplyDelete