Wednesday 4 May 2016

HOLIDAY CATCHUP.

First, I'd like to thank everyone so much for the lovely comments on The Scavenger Hunt Photos.  I'm sorry for not commenting individually, but I was slightly overwhelmed and a tad busy,  Thanks again.
Just a quick post with some photos from our trip to South Australia.
We left Bordertown on the Monday morning and headed to Mount Gambier, where we visited a few places we've been to before, but I'd not taken photos of .

The Blue Lake.
This is a volcanic crater, last active 5000 yeas ago and turns a beautiful blue each November, though no-one knows why.
Extensive views from Tower Hill.
You can see all the way to the sea from here.

Tower Hill.
And yes it is a "hill", as the only way up is to walk and the last bit is really steep.
Later in the afternoon we visited the Umpherstone Sink Hole, which was landscaped inside by a wealthy landowner many years ago and revitalised more recently.  You can view from the top and then take the stairs and explore the bottom.

Looking down into the hole.

One of the local inhabitants, a possum, which usually only appear at dusk or later as they are nocturnal.
They come down to be fed by the visitors and scamper along the walls with their nooks and crannies down near the bottom. He was so cute.


Next morning we left and back over the border into Victoria, where we made a detour and visited Princess Margaret Rose Caves.  We ended up having a private tour as we were the only 'tourists"
They are lovely, although not very extensive.  Anyone following my blog will realise that I posted a photo of them in the Scavenger Hunt.

Behind the pillar is a mass of stalactites, nicknamed The Chandelier.
Next, we headed into Port Fairy, a lovely little town on the Moyne River, just before it heads out to sea.

It's such a pretty place.

Then we headed for Warrnambool to stay the night.  We took a walk out on part of the breakwater and to a vantage point to take photos of Middle Island.  If anyone has seen the movie ODDBALL, will recognise it immediately.  It is such a lovely true story.

Middle Island, which is no longer open to visitors,

The story of the island and it's  Little Penguin inhabitants.  (If you click  and enlarge it you can read the story.)

OK, that was basically the end of our trip, as we headed to Ballarat for a night, then  for home.  Hope you find this small lot of photos interesting.
I'm off to get our dinner ready now, so all starting Wednesday, have a good one.
Take care, Susan.



14 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed being tourists in our part of the country

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did Judy even though most places we've visited before, except for the caves.

      Delete
  2. I know you love ~my~ part of the world but your own is also beautiful.

    Hope you feel relaxed after your break :-}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. There are parts that are pretty spectacular, but it's the distances and the drier bits which I find hard.

      Delete
    2. Given the amount of rain we have here I think I could face the drier bits. What I could not cope with in your country is some of the wildlife . . .

      Delete
  3. It all looks beautiful and how interesting about the Blue Lake, I wonder why that happens. Port Fairy, what a wonderful name for such a pretty place. There's certainly some fabulous places to visit over there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I'm thinking maybe a visit for a special holiday. I'll keep enticing you.

      Delete
  4. As usual, your pics are very enticing and interesting. Sounds like a nice little tour you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, as above, a good place for a visit and if you have time Joanna, see if you can watch that movie as I think you'd love. Take care.

      Delete
  5. Looks like you had a lovely time away. I need to watch that movie one day... xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully as much as you have. Are you home? The movie is great. See you soon.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful to see your travels around Australia! I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've nominated you for an award, you can find out about it on my blog.

    ReplyDelete