Monday 5 December 2016

ADVENT CALENDAR 5th

Having known that I wanted to do the Advent Calendar with Hawthorn and Julie, I tried to keep a lookout for numbers over the last 12 months, but being me I kept forgetting.  Whilst in UK on holiday, they seemed to jump out at me more, so quite a few will be from this time.

DAY 5.

The sign says it all.  Yes, once again the walk we did at Gargrave.


CRAFT.


Do we call baking a craft?
I made this unbaked slice for the lovely family over the road as both a thank you gift & wishing them a merry Christmas.  M very nicely mowed our lawn just before we got back from our UK holiday and E fixed a broken nail for me.  She happens to be a nail artist & I'd had a split nail way down for a long time and as it grew it started catching on things.  Ugh!  The recipe come from this book.

My parents bought their first fridge in the early 50's when I was about 3 or 4 and this is the book that came with it.  It's had much use over the years from both my mother and I.
This is the page I use the most.

A little worse for wear these days.
OK, I just had to add this photo too.  One of my favourite roses is flowering well.  I have grown Julia's Rose in many of my gardens over the years.

This is pretty close to the actual colour, which verges somewhere between cafe latte to a dusky apricot/beige.  Hard to describe, but beautiful.  Good for flower arranging too.

Leaving you with a thought to be "nice to others", after witnessing a nasty incident in our main street today, which really surprised me.  Patience is a virtue they say, don't they?

I'll be back tomorrow with something cute, I hope.
Take care,
Susan.

8 comments:

  1. Baking is a craft, you have to gather the ingredients and mix them all together.

    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baking is a craft, you have to gather the ingredients and mix them all together.

    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the story about your lawn mowing neighbour and his nail technician wife when we chatted the other day - that yummy unbake looks super yummy, bet it was happily eaten up! (there is a number 8 on your cook book ....!) sending back to you a 'nice to others' day wishes too, take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The unbaked slice looks delicious, I'm sure your neighbours were thrilled with it. I would say that baking is definitely a craft.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That slice looks yummy, and the rose is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bad blogger creeping in here, hope you are well my dear! I do like the sound of an unbaked slice, it sounds delightful x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gargrave and Malham - super part of the world, and I know how much you love it.
    That slice looks quite delicious, ages since I have had anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy, love fridge type cakes and you are lucky to have roses blooming - too cold now for ours. x

    ReplyDelete