Friday 26 May 2017

MAY SCAVENGER PHOTO HUNT.

Linking up once again with the lovely Kate to search for suitable photos to go with a list of words she has chosen.  This month I procrastinated somewhat, as although we are to post only TEN, the list consisted of 23 words.  Hmmm!!!!  Which to choose?  Well, here goes.......

GLASS.
The glasshouse at RHS Rosemoor in Devon, which we saw whilst visiting UK in 2014.

PIANO.
This is my cottage piano, which I saved for & bought whilst we were living in Tasmania (1987-94).  It hasn't had much use of late šŸ˜¢  My hands are woeful, already this year, with very painful chillblains.  But, it will always be there for me to tinkle on when I can.

VALLEY.
This is the Buchan valley in Eastern Victoria, which we pass through on our way to Canberra quite often.  It has some lovely viewing points & a wonderful network of limestone caves worth a visit. They are open to the public with guided tours.

VAST.
The huge shearing shed in Mungo National Park, in outback New South Wales, south of Broken Hill.
It is lovely inside too, with exposed frame & many shearing stations.

WAVE.

Just a quick video clip I found in my archives, that I took last year on Phillip Island, which I do believe I've blogged about many times in the past.
OK, video clip didn't work, so here is a photo taken instead.  Same location & day.  Sorry all.

BUSH.
This is what we Australians refer to as "BUSH".  We go for bushwalks, "go bush", when we are getting away for the weekend and generally refer to our native vegetation as "bush".  These are gums & gymea lillies & photo was taken in The Royal National Park, south of Sydney.  I also lived in a suburb of Sydney as a child for  a while, called Gymea. (useless bit of informationšŸ˜ƒ).

DEEP.
A very large deep mine in Cobar, NSW (again).  I can't for the life of me remember what they are actually mining here, That was a loooooooong way down.

BARK.
These are the "scribbles" on one of our native gum trees, which we refer to as a Scribbly Gum. (duh).
This particular photo was taken in Canberra a few years back.  I didn't realise how many photos I take of bark, till I was looking through my archives.


STITCH.
Something I cross-stitched many years ago, which is still waiting to be framed.  I'd thought about this when looking for some embroidery thread & thought, oooh, that would fit for '"stitch" on my word list, so out came the camera.

SHARP.
Now this is sharp, though I've only nicked myself personally, but have heard of some quite fearful injuries relating to "ROTARY CUTTERS".  I took the photo this morning to show that although I've been quiet on the blog front, I am still doing things, along with all the mundane stuff, car club bits, days out & today once I finish this, I'll make a cake and slice & also try and get quilt on the machine finished.  I'm a bit slow with everything of late due to such sore hands(I mentioned above).

I've at least 2 posts, I must get done before the end of the month, due to being busy in June with a couple of things on the agenda.

Hopefully, I've fulfilled the brief & anybody who cares to visit will find it interesting.
Thanks again Kate and look forward to what you have in store for us in June.
Huggles all and take care.





21 comments:

  1. Your scavenger hunts are always so interesting. I love the Scribbly Gum bark and the deep mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The eucalypt species have some interesting bark.

      Delete
  2. Excellent selection my dear Susan, I always enjoy your snippets and photos. This month I was particularly impressed with the depth of that mine!! Interestingly enough your interpretation of 'bush' is the same as my mum's:) thank you for joining in, I really enjoyed them:)x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. Funny how your Mum and I both noted bush in the same way. BTW, the mine is copper. Thanks & is next month's mini bests, one of our best small nature photos or of small beasties?

      Delete
    2. Small beasties, predictive text often has mind of it's own!

      Delete
  3. Nice to see an Aussie collection... so long since I was last there. Your cross stitch is SO neat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona & glad you joined in too. Is it really neat? Not sure it would be that these days, as I really can't see "small" unless I have good light. Maybe I'll do one again at some time.

      Delete
  4. Another lovely set of photos. What a beautiful piano. I had a few lessons as a child but didn't stick at it but I'm still always drawn to pianos. We were going to buy one when Eleanor was young as she was interested in learning but singing lessons won in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I love having a piano & although I only learnt for about 6 months aged five, I can still read music & enjoy tinkling when my hands aren't sore & there is nobody around. I also have a mini harp & that is even harder on the fingers than the piano at the moment. Warmer weather needed, but not "hot".

      Delete
  5. A lovely selection of photos. I have always wanted to play the piano, maybe its not too late? I love the Valley pic, that is a view I could sit and watch for hours.
    I am surprised at the number of accidents with Rotary cutters - maybe it;s when there is too much talking going on !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks & it's never too late to learn anything new, they say. I just love country scenery, be it valley, mountains, seaside, as long as it's not crowded.

      Delete
  6. I love seeing pictures of your country. Thanks for the enlightenment on bush and gum trees. Your stitching looks lovely, and I can testify to the sharpness of the rotary cutter because of a bad slice I gave myself a few years ago when I began quilting. That was a good choice, although it looks like an innocent little tool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna. Your new profile pic threw me for a moment, but I soon realised who it was. I'm glad you enjoy seeing things about Oz, as it make this blogging lark very worthwhile. Next hunt is very nature inspired, though I must get in a post about quilting soon.(giggle).

      Delete
  7. Ah I too have had a small cut with my rotary cutter; once cut I soon learnt not to wave it about! Think my favourite is glass and deep. I did try to get a suitable photo for valley but the moment did not present itself; just as well I could abandon that word and select another one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M. Rotary cutters are as lethal as (I suppose) any other "sharp" tool. I would love a glasshouse & always drool over the ones I see. The word list certainly gave us a variety to choose from. Now for next months.

      Delete
  8. Lovely assortment of pics as usual, don't think I'd have enough to join in on this! Glad to see you post again :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy & joining in, is probably more about taking snaps while out & about (even around the house) & thinking outside the box.

      Delete
  9. Now that I know you can play the piano, maybe you need to give mine a workout soon? Better get those hands ready for some action, not long now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh!!!!!!! No Judy, I'm not good & can only tinkle a little bit & with sore hands it's even worse. We'll see. Can't wait to come, pick a case, enjoy the company of other quilters & have lots of fun & catch up with some familiar faces. Take care.

      Delete
  10. Lovely pictures, interesting stories and I love the way we 'colonists' have so many similar things. Though we did not have scribbly gum or scribbly moths in our gum trees. Your buildings such as the shearing shed and cross stitch are so familiar too. And as for the bush....glad someone understands!! xx

    ReplyDelete