Thursday 28 September 2017

SEPTEMBER SCAVENGER PHOTO HUNT.

Linking once again for the monthly photo hunt with I live, I love, I craft.

1.   SHUT.
My magnolia had this particular bud, for about 5 days before it decided to open, as the weather had been so cold & overcast.  Now the wind is blowing the petals off in no time at all.

2.   COPPER.
We visited Como House, a National Trust property in Melbourne a few months ago & I happened to snap this windowsill still life.  I remembered it, although I was thinking of something else to use for this  particular word, but couldn't find one.  Lucky wasn't I that I could fall back on the above.

3.   WRIST.
This was a hard one, so WRIST WATCH it is.
I got this watch on my 9th birthday & it had been my mother's 12th birthday gift.  I still quite often wear it to this day & it goes well.  I've just worked out that it is 77 years old.  At least it doesn't run out of battery power, although it does need a new band.

4.   QUARTER.
Another hard one, but as you can see from the title on the book, I did find "something" for this word.  I made this bag from the book to carry large quilts in or other craft work, when out and about & it is a 'Fat Quarter Bag'.

5.   IT STARTS WITH C.........
A "CHARABANC'. 
We spotted this on our way through Norfolk many years ago.  Not the best snap, but so many things I had for "C", that it was hard to pick one which might be different.

6.   FOAM.
"FOAMING' surf, crashing over the rocks on Phillip Island on a very blustery day last year.

7.   SCARF.
Just finished this for Missy Moo, who admired my purple one with all it's sparkly bits & asked if I could make one for her too.  She chose the blue colourway & I ordered it from the Wool Warehouse & as soon as it arrived, I made a start.  I chose not to do the same pattern as mine, which was super lacy & not practical for wearing to school.  I worked on a pattern of my own and am pleased with how it turned out.  I've written it all down so that other's can use it too.  Can't wait till she gets home from holiday to see if she likes it.

8.   LINE.
The large telescopes of Siding Springs Observatory near Coonabarabran run on a rail "LINE" for moving.  Taken quite some time ago when on holiday in N.S.W.

9.   NOSTALGIC.
I know I hate putting my photo on, but this is for me, quite nostalgic.  I see so many pet photos on blogs and feel that I miss out, but here I am in the late 90's with my two cats, Fluffy (left) & Tabitha (right), who are mother & daughter.  They lived to 14 and nearly 18, so we had them for a long time & I miss them both.  I worked out that I was still working when this photo was taken, as my hair had been permed, wasn't grey, I was wearing rather large round specs & we were living near Nowra on the south coast of N.S.W.  Definitely "NOSTALGIC'.

10. MY OWN CHOICE.
I love this set of stairs up the side of Malham Cove in the Yorkshire Dales and often use it as my desktop wallpaper.  I took this photo in 2014, but we didn't actually walk up them.  We were going to in 2016, but didn't even visit Malham that time, so maybe next time.

OK, that's my lot for this month and now I look forward to seeing all the other hunter's photos.
Thanks Kate.  Cheers all.
Susan.

19 comments:

  1. What an interesting set of photos. Fancy your watch still working after all those years, they don't make things to last these days like that. I've got my Grandpa's gold watch that he got for his 21st birthday, so it'll be 93 years old, but the glass on the face is missing and it doesn't work. Lovely to see your cats. We got a cat the year we were married and he was with us for fourteen years, I still miss him. I've walked up those steps at the side of Malham Cove, not one of my greatest ideas with my head for heights. The limestone pavement at the top is worth seeing though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, glad you enjoyed. You could probably get the watch fixed. Hopefully we may do the stairs one day & see the pavement.

      Delete
  2. As always, a fabulous set of pictures - I don't know how you find the time and discipline to do this, well done!

    Love the Malham picture, years & years since we were there :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just keep my eyes open for some of the pics with the list kept in my camera case, find some in the archives & give myself an hour or two to do the post. Not really disciplined so much as keeping the grey matter working as we get older. Thanks Jayne.

      Delete
  3. Hi Susan, lovely photos and stories, I have walked up those Malham 400 + steps (puff puff) twice. Once when I first came to the UK then a couple of years ago....obviously had not learnt my lesson! Thank you for joining in x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think I need to do those steps one day. Love joining in & thanks for giving us the list each month.

      Delete
  4. Hi Susan, what a lovely set of pictures and stories. That old watch is amazing. They definitely made things to last those days. I think I love your picture with the cats, the perm and huge glasses bring back memories, my perms and my mother's glasses. We also had a cat called Tabitha, similar colour too. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks C. I do so enjoy these hunts & glad we do it each month. Ah, the days of perms, eh? I've had a variety of spec styles, as I've been wearing them for 51 years now.

      Delete
    2. Love that scarf, I'm just deciding what to do with slightly twinkly blue wool. Any chance you can share the pattern. It's just what I had in mind. X

      Delete
  5. Well Susan, we quilters do know about fat quarters. Funny that was all I could think of. We last went up Malham Cove nearly 30 years ago when there were no steps. Might try it again.... That watch is amazing. My favourite photo is the foam one; we've had a hectic, trying 2 months and I feel the need for calming pictures! Am making a quilt too so I might be able to sneak it in in a future photo hunt! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M. Fat quarter was the first thing that popped into my head for that one, too. My Malham photo has definitely made an impression on all my UK pals. Hope all calms down for October & we see a gorgeous quilt emerge.

      Delete
  6. Amazing that your watch is still working after all these years, I couldn't think of any other possibilities for 'Wrist' ...not easy at all. Great choice for 'line'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this scavenger hunt, though I wouldn't have the time to do it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pictures Love the watch, it gorgeous

    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interpretations The fat Quarter pic is a good idea for Quarter. Like your Nostalgia. I always have a fondness for old pet pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great collection of photos and interesting stories. My favourite has to be the watch for wrist - 77 years old and still in working use :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely photos. I love your 77 year old watch for Wrist, how wonderful it still works. Also your copper and 'c' photos:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great set of photos, have to say I like the stairs up the side of Malham Cove have walked them a few times.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks to all above who I've not commented individually as we were away. That's a few posts for the coming week I hope.

    ReplyDelete