Monday 16 July 2018

OUT AND ABOUT.

ARTHUR'S SEAT. (Mornington Peninsular).

On a lovely day in May, we set off down to the Mornington Peninsular for a drive & the possibility of a walk.  As we drove through the hills, we decided to stop & wander around Arthur's Seat. 
I'll show what we saw mainly in pictures, as most of my viewers live overseas, so here we go.
One of the gondolas on the Arthur's Seat Eagle, which, I believe is quite an experience, something                                                                        I've not done yet.
And, this must be the reason for calling it the Eagle.  I spotted this Wedgetail Eagle soaring overhead on the path to Seawinds Gardens.
 A plaque to commemorate one of our early maritime explorers.
The view over Port Phillip Bay from one of many advantage points.
 Seawinds Gardens, (above & below), which were once privately owned and sold to the Victorian State Government in 1975 for all to enjoy.
We wandered around and espied some interesting things.
Stone walling which contains some wonderful sculptures by William Ricketts, that were commissioned by the last owner of the property.
One of several along the wall in niches.
Can you see the kangaroo among the long grass?  They were hard to spot on this particular day, but there were quite a few quietly resting.
A short stroll, then led us to this.......................and we saw these ______________
                                                 Motor scooters and many motorbikes.
                                                    Old, veteran and vintage motor cars.
                                                    Children's cars, that were amazing.
                                               Something my boys would have loved.
And model cars as well.  The one in the centre is an FC Holden, which is what I learnt to drive in, when I was seventeen.  Ah, those were the days!!!!!!!!!!
                                               Vintage homewares were also given space.


I loved this old pianola with it's rolls sitting on top.  I also spied the old squeeze box on the left.
 This amazing old folding stroller brought back many memories for me.  My mother had one the same for myself and two younger brothers and as we didn't have a car till I was around 9 or 10, it saw many miles for the three of us as toddlers.
This one may interest my friend Jayne, as I know she's one for not liking chemical sprays.😊
Lastly, one of my crafty shots.  I do love getting in odd angles & people probably wonder what I'm doing.
OK, that was one of the days out that I've been going to post for some time.  I do hope to catch up a couple more we've done earlier this year soon.
Thanks to anyone who cares to read this.  Take care all.
Susan.

16 comments:

  1. Looks like a nice day out. How wonderful to come accross kangeroos lazing in the grass and an eagle soaring above. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shazza. I do love birds of prey & am always on the lookout when out.

      Delete
  2. A gondola ride AND an eagle - I think I'd like that place. Will you go back and take the ride?

    I also like the weed killer you found, and this will make you laugh - just before I went to Scotland Management and I were talking about buying one (but a modern version!) Haven't got round to it yet, but seriously considering one for the slate paths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayne. Maybe one day we'll go on the gondola.
      We need something for our gravel paths as pulling weeds displaces the gravel and it gets everywhere. Lots of thinking to do on that one. Think I sometimes have a kind of ESP!

      Delete
  3. Looks like a great day out and your photos brought back a couple of memories for me. When I was a child our next door neighbours had a pianola and it was always played every Boxing Day afternoon into the evening. When I worked in a Museum in South Lincolnshire we researched and opened a gallery about Matthew Flinders who was born locally, I was priviledged to read some of his letters home in the Lincoln Archives. Have a lovely week:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie. When I was a child, we had an old pianola once for a short time, but it didn't work properly & we gave it away. Too expensive to fix. I'd love to read those letters, as I'm sure they'd have been interesting.

      Delete
  4. you had some lovely views on your drive. I think I could do with one of those weed killers! I'm struggle to keep on top of the garden but will nit use chemicals or anything that will kill tiny creatures...actually, I guess a flame gun would be no good on that front. Back to the weeding by hand it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise. Pulling weeds is tedious & we only use spray on gravel paths or beside the fence, where they come through from our neighbours. The rest I dig out. I've a few recipes I must find for non-poisonous concoctions.

      Delete
  5. I remember seeing a pianola once in a house where I was trying to sell insurance many years ago - it fascinated me :)
    Great pictures - I love the wood carvings in the walls - and your arty shot, lovely.
    Have a great week:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fil. I can see you loving the pianola with your background in music.

      Delete
  6. I spotted the Kangaroo. Lots of charming things to see; we had a player piano many years ago that had belonged to my grandparents. Definitely more interesting than a cd player. Thanks for sharing. I love seeing the trees and bushes that have interesting shapes and are really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna. Seems the pianola photo has been popular.

      Delete
  7. My father had a flame gun and it was very powerful and noisy. Sounded like a dragon roaring!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. Not sure I'd like the noise it makes, though I'm sure newer ones aren't as bad.

      Delete
  8. What a lovely day out and so much to see along the way. It's hard to imagine glimpsing kangaroos resting in the long grass, that would make my day. I love those sculptures in the wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I often think of you when I start photographing different animals in the wild. Take care.

      Delete