Monday 10 August 2015

PROGRESS!

A REVEAL.

My FPP star quilt.
This is the quilt I've been trying to get to the pieced top stage and now all I need to do is add a border, although the original didn't have one.  The pattern was in a magazine called Quilts with Style (now discontinued) and ran over 6 issues in 2006.  Janette and I started ours, we think, sometime in 2008, so definitely what you would call a long term project.  Once I've worked out a border, I'll tell a bit about why it took me so long.

WORKS IN PROGRESS!

The Garden, which will always be a work in progress.

The two hellebores I inherited with this garden, which still amazes me, as it basically filled with so-called "low maintenance" planting.  I've always loved hellebores and these two are beauties.  I have two more in pots which I brought with me awaiting planting.

Along the back fence which shows what I meant in the last caption.  12 pittosporums, lomandras, (spiky things) and seaside daisy (erigeron), which spreads and self seeds in gardens here in Oz and just a jolly nuisance.  This bed will eventually be planted with some lovely small trees and shrubs with perennials, bulbs and annuals in front. 

Looking toward the shed where hubby has his woodworking gear setup and we store garden tools.  As you can see more of the yukky stuff, but on the right in the photo is an olive tree (we don't like olives), but there is a new nest that the magpies have built, so this tree will definitely being staying, as I love our birdlife.

The first rose to be planted in the garden.  There are no roses at all here and that just won't do.  This one is Julia's Rose, which I've had in most of my recent gardens.  We think there are two blueberry bushes behind it,  I'll have to wait and see.

Behind the little shed is this area, where we found the potatoes and which I'll use for now as the veg bed, until we see how much shade that tree casts.  The parsley was already there and I've just put in a rhubarb plant (a must).  You may have to click to enlarge to see it.
We also planted a magnolia, but the photo has disappeared, so I'll have to take another one and post again sometime.  More garden photos will hopefully be popping up often as the weather improves.  It was lovely spending time in the garden yesterday and finding a couple more spuds when I was digging over the above bed.

TWO MORE WIP's.
No. 1.
I'm still working on my giant granny rug, though not as much done as I would have liked, but am also handsewing a binding to a quilt.  Have to work on these alternately as the chillblains are still hanging around.

Rug

No. 2.

Poor old Brute.
On my first ever blog post in January 2013, I showed our beloved Morris Minor.  Over the years she has been on the road, she's taken us to many places in Australia as part of the Morris Minor Touring Club, towing for a while our small camper trailer, on local club outings, then as hubby's transport to work for the last ten years before he retired.  Now she really does need some extra TLC.  We acquired her in 1991 when we saw her in a blackberry patch.  The local farmer said if we could get her out, she was ours.  Hubby and the two boys managed to wangle her out and she's been with us ever since.  Originally a panel van, but as the back was just completely rusted away, she became a ute (pickup), was registered in 1992 and went on her first trip that year to the Flinders Ranges in South Australia.  Hubby did all the work himself, but she doesn't have her original engine, has had the cab extended a little as he's quite tall (6'3") lovely timber boards on the back and runs on both gas and petrol.  OK, for those who are new to following, I'll pop on the better photo too.



OK, enough for now, so I can post this and get to a few other things as the sun is shining after a few brief showers this morning.
Hope all had a great weekend and take care.
Susan.

16 comments:

  1. What a lovely catch-up:) I think I have exactly the same hellebore and I will try and find the name label for you, it's a beauty.

    What a super little veg patch, much potential both sides of that path. At least you are coming into Spring and it is the right time of year to be getting out and learning what you have in your new garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayne, I'll see how we get on with the veg patch and hope to replace a couple of those pittosporums on the other side fence with a couple of fruit trees too.

      Delete
  2. Love your garden and the ute. I'm looking forward to hearing more about that amazing quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. At least we are on the way getting things done now.

      Delete
  3. Wow, Susan, that quilt is a real stunner. The surprises a new garden throws up are always exciting! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne. A new established garden can be both challenging and surprising.

      Delete
  4. Your star quilt is gorgeous.... and your Morris Minor is adorable! (It's amazing what you can pick up from a patch up brambles!!!!) Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. Thought you may like the Morris as I know that you go to car shows.

      Delete
  5. Your garden has lots of potential and as spring arrives I am sure all sorts of interesting things will pop up. Lovely quilting :) Look forward to hearing more about it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the garden is actually more challenging than we thought it would be, but that's OK. I'm now trying to find brown fabric to match the outer corners of it, but really want to get it onto the machine for quilting.

      Delete
  6. Boy, Susan, that top quilt is amazing. What a challenge; it looks like it is turning out beautifully. I love seeing your garden pics. I like to playin the dirt, too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna. Seems like quite a lot of us quilters like getting our hands dirty as well.

      Delete
  7. The quilt is beautiful. I bet you're glad now that you pulled it out to work on again, it will be fabulous once it's finished. Nice to see your new garden, it sounds like you've got lots of plans for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. It seems to have been in and out of the box for so long now, but it will get finished in the end. I was out in the garden again this afternoon, pulling out native violet which has monstrous roots for its tiny size. Glad you back in blogland after your holiday.

      Delete
  8. That quilt is incredible! It's a thing of beauty, with all that detail and so many angles and corners to look at. No wonder it took you so long. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian and yes it has got lots of bias on those edges and just doesn't lie as flat as I'd like, but I'm not unpicking one little bit. Can't wait to get a border on it.

      Delete