Wednesday 13 January 2016

THE MM STORY.

Here's a short version and some photos of our Morris Minor.

Back in 1991, whilst living in Tasmania, hubby spied an MM poking out from some large blackberry bushes on a farm.  He approached the farmer to buy it and was told, "If you can get it out, it's yours."
He and the 2 boys went along and managed to extract it and brought it home in this state.

Originally a panel van.
This what it looked like at first.  So much rust and a broken chassis meant a radical rethink.  All the work was done by hubby except for a few minor bits, such as re-chroming the radiator grill and new upholstery on the seats (eventually).

Top:  rust.  Bottom: broken chassis.

The next few photos are of the work in progress.  I've scanned these photos and some aren't the best quality (or poses), but you'll see the scale of the work involved.

Work underway whilst on her side.

Extending the cab to fit in my 6'3" other half.

The cab back finished.
Once a lot more work was done on the chassis, it was remounted and ready for an engine.  As it came without an engine, we bought a MM engine, which we later replaced with a Toyota engine.

Sprayed red, engine and 2 additions which kept popping up in all the later photos. (Our two boys as teenagers)

As it was not possible to keep the van part, hubby decided to make it into a ute (pickup).  Below is the start of the tray for the back.

Uhm, not the best photo in the world, but the only one we have of the progress on this bit.
Now for the exciting part.  Done, except for the sides of the tray.

Here she is for a photo with DD's Mini, our black sedan and part of my Cortina.

We'd had the black one since 1988 and belonged to the MM Club of Tasmania and it was great for outings with our 3 children, but hubby also loves a challenge.

In 1992, it was finally ready for it's first big challenge.  A trip to South Australia with The Morris Minor Touring Club of Australia.  We would be camping (just the 2 of us), which we'd not done very much of.  Here we are ready to go.

Err!  Yes, that is us.  How times change.
She has travelled to many places over the years including Alice Springs (7,000kms round trip), Ceduna on the edge of the Nullabor, back to Tasmania and lots of places in between. In that time we went from camping to using a camper van, shown below.  Camping in a 3 man tent wasn't all that comfortable and I'll leave it to your imagination as to how a tall person gets dressed in one.

The camper trailer.

 Hubby used her as his work vehicle as well, hence the amount of time that's being spent on her now.  She's been back on the road for 23 years now.


FOOTNOTE.

My first car when I was 18 in 1967.  My grandfather helped me purchase it and I had it for nearly 2 years and had lots of fun in her.  This is the "only" photo I have.

Wash day!

A short story of CARS, not quilting, but then we all have lots to life outside our hobbies.
Take care all.
Susan.

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for the trip down your memory lane Susan, very interesting. Sitting here enjoying the cool change that has just arrived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy. The first cool change has arrived with lots of wind. Another cooler one is due about midnight, but it got above 40 here, but will only be 21 tomorrow. Great.

      Delete
  2. I love this post Susan I don't drive & have said I will only take my test if Mike buys me Morris Minor. I absolutely adore these cars. A fantastic achievement & a wonderful trip down memory lane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I've been driving since I was 17 and haven't got a car of my own at the moment and feel I've lost a lot of independence. Our MM's have given us some great adventures, though we use our X-Trail more now as it can tow our caravan. We need more comfort as we get older too. (giggle)

      Delete
  3. It looks like a complete rebuild. It must have taken a lot of work but definitely worth it in the end. I bet your sons really enjoyed helping out too. I hate driving but I'm glad I passed my test as it's very handy to have a licence. I have an old banger which I don't mind as I hardly do any miles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. The boys did enjoy and also love tinkering with cars and bikes too.

      Delete
  4. How wonderful Susan!!! You and your husband must be so very proud of it!!! I know that a massive amount of work goes into cars like these, so I can appreciate it. Hope that you enjoy going for some great drives, even if it isn't all the way to Alice! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. Yes we are very proud and the fact that he is both clever and handy is wonderful. We won't be doing anymore big trips in her but still take her on short runs.

      Delete
  5. A lovely post! Being a 'Marcos Wife' means that I know exactly how much fun can be had travelling around in a car that makes everyone smile and creates conversations with strangers. These cars become part of the family. Mark always refers to his cars as 'the girls' because they all have names (Annie, Jackie and the Kitten). Have you named your MMs? Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan and I thought there may be a couple who would enjoy a post like that, even though my blog says 'quilting', but we do have other parts to our lives.

      Delete
  6. Lovely - I shall be showing this to my other half, he'll enjoy it too :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hawthorn. I thought maybe the odd other half might get a smile from this post.

      Delete
  7. Wow, what a labour of love! You all clearly worked hard on that van and it's a beauty.

    ReplyDelete