Friday 22 January 2016

THINKING, PROCRASTINATING. HELP!!!!!!!!

BIG STAR QUILT.

I need help!  Do I quilt an allover/E2E pattern on this quilt or do I go for a custom job?
I know that a lot of you may not give an answer, but I just had to write this for my own piece of mind.  This quilt has been so long in the making that I'd just like it finished, but I can't make up my mind.  I've been asked to put it in a small local craft show at the end of February, but not sure I'll be able to finish it in time, so another show (as above) is coming up in June, so maybe that will be the way to go.  My problem with a custom job is that I have so many strange shapes and as I don't really do much free motion these days, need computerised patterns for these.  I've spent hours browsing sites and haven't come up with much so far.  Oh well, I'll just show some of the shapes, then we'll see what else I've been up to.

One section of side.

Centre.
Corner.
Notice the odd shapes I need to fill.

What else has been happening?

A large moth on the wall outside our sliding door.  My fascination  with bugs continues.

A short trip to a vintage market in a small town near to us resulted in these interesting items.


I have a project in mind for the wrought iron corner brackets, so I'll show that once finished.  They don't have any age to them.  The bobbin is something I've wanted for some time and they were once prohibitively expensive, but this was very reasonable.  It is propped against a notebook in my sewing area.  We were going to purchase another item, which hubby had mistaken the price on.  We both kept talking about it, so we went back, did a spot of negotiating and are now the proud owners of this.

An old canvas map of the British Isles.  It looks lovely above the hall table.
These photos aren't as good as I would have liked, but it has been raining today and only 21deg.  Yeah!  This morning before the rain I picked more of these.  I've had kilos of them and have probably sold about 4kgs and given away even more, plus what we've used and frozen for later in the year.  More still to pick.

Blueberries.
And today in the post this arrived.

A bulb catalogue.
I know that I put my name down for a couple more so hopefully they'll come soon too.
Today, as it was cooler, saw me do a spot of baking, namely an Anzac slice and some peanut butter squares.
I may be quiet on the comments front over the weekend, as we are on grandchildren duties Sunday and Monday, so everyone have a great weekend and take care.


8 comments:

  1. You know I'm no help on the quilt, it's all double Dutch to me but it does look lovely. Mick has a bit of a fascination with maps, I think the one you picked up at the vintage market is lovely. Enjoy your weekend with the grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I knew that some of you wouldn't undestand but it was something I had to get off my chest. Yes, we both have a fascination with maps too.

      Delete
  2. I am sure that whatever you choose to do it will be beautiful! A big job though I can appreciate. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know that I will tell you to custom it, don't you? Ask one of the pattern designers to design something specially for you. Most of them are happy to work with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy, I didn't know that, but will keep it in mind. I knew you'd say custom, so no surprise there. Talk to you next week.

      Delete
  4. So, I am just a happy bystander when it comes to quilting and I suspect my eyes glazed over when you started to discuss what to do, beautiful work though :) Your map made me smile, we love maps (all maps - old or new) and we had been looking at HUUUUGE one that you put on a wall (they suggest you use wallpaper paste to hold it up!) I would love to do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hawthorn. Ah, maps, which we both love too, and when the kids were young I'd thought of one for the wall too. Large and of the world. Globes hold a facination as well.

      Delete
  5. Ha I'm such a newbie I can't offer any advice but Ii look forward to your decision. Isn't that map beautiful! x

    ReplyDelete