Tuesday 8 March 2016

HAREWOOD HOUSE

Sunday saw us set off reasonably early for our day out to Harewood House open day.  This an old homestead, extended and lived in by the Lyall family, Scottish immigrants to the area in the mid 1800s.  It is not large, but is very interesting.  There were old handcrafts on display, Jaguar cars, Highland dancing, a Pipe band and host of other bits. The first photos are the house, which was very hard for me not to include people, so I've only a handful.

Front entrance.

Rear view.

Side view with a kilted man taking a snap.  Sorry, but there were a lot of men running around in kilts.
The gardens are not stunningly beautiful due to the fact the land was once the Koo Wee Rup Swamp and was drained for farming.  There are some lovely old trees, which meant plenty of shade on such a warm day.  The photo below was quite fascinating, even though I'm not particularly fond of cactus.

Flowers

It was huge.
I do know that cactus flower, but had never seen one like this actually flowering.

 DISPLAYS

The display of Jaguars.  Maybe not our favourite, but impressive.

One of the cute Shetland ponies.
.
A lovely day out.

Not a lot has been happening, as it's been so hot.  It is 5pm and 33deg as I write this and is extremely uncomfortable.(warm & sticky yuk).  I'm just wondering when it will cool down.

Hubby has made some bookends for DD and we both worked on some for me.

The A & Z made by hubby and the ones on the right are the black brackets I picked up at a Vintage market and we've repainted them and made the timber supports.

This second hand chest of drawers I purchased cheap is being given a facelift and will be used to store my cones of cotton, quilts and backing waiting to be finished and other bits and bobs that I use for my machine quilting.  The cones have been stored in a plastic tub for many years and just end up getting all muddled. so am going to enjoy having them neat and tidy.

Well that's it from me, so take care all and have a good week.
Susan.

BTW,  The house is called "Harewood" as it was William Lyall who introduced hares into Australia.


5 comments:

  1. Fascinating where the name Harewood comes from, I wonder where our Harewood House gets its name from. I love days out like this with lots of things going on, it's a good job there was plenty of shade though, it sounds like you needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely place to visit! Looks as though you had a good day out! Enjoy getting your books and cones organised. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great place to visit. So interesting to read about Harewood. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting outing; cactus, kilts and ponies. Lots of variety there. Your husband made some neat bookends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, sorry, sorry that I am so late in catching up with your posts. That looks like an excellent day out, something we ought to do more of here.

    I'll exchange our surplus rain for some of your heat?

    ReplyDelete