Thursday 17 March 2016

BIRTHDAY BOY, BUSYNESS AND BIG PILE.

BIRTHDAY BOY.
Tuesday saw Hubby have a birthday and we went out to for the day and have tea on our way home, something we don't do very often. We drove to Geelong, had a wander around an Industrial Vintage Market, ate our homemade lunch by the water and visited another couple of places we'd planned without much success and then came across Port Phillip Bay on the ferry to our side of Melbourne.
Ugh!, the ferry is way more expensive than it used to be, and,
Swans and ducks on the water, whilst we ate lunch.

The car ferry and not the best pic as the wind was even blowing my camera around.
we didn't see any dolphins, which was quite disappointing.  It was an extremely windy day, so that may have something to do with it.  We had a nice meal at a hotel and were home in time for bed.(giggle).  We enjoyed.

Views from ferry.
BIG PILE.

Quilted.
This is some of what I've been trying to get done lately.  As I've mentioned before, I've an idea for a book and have made a number of quilts for it and now have at least some of them quilted, 2 fully bound, hand sewing another and 3 waiting for their binding.  In between doing these I did the big star and a bed runner for a friend which also has to be bound before flying off into the wide blue yonder.

BUSYNESS!!!
Is that a word?  Well even if it isn't, that's what it's been like.
A few medical appointments, birthday outing, car club meetings, buying some downlights and new sheer curtains, as well as finishing the chest. Tomorrow we have the electrician coming to fix the lights over our kitchen benches, so that we aren't working in our own shadow.  Next week is nearly as bad.

Finished chest.

On the design wall.
Ruler and book.
I am going to try and use some of my specialty rulers this year and pulled this one out to start with. The pansy fabric was leftover from a quilt I made many years ago for my parents, so am now playing with that and have made the above blocks so far, but it probably won't be much larger as now have very little left.  You'll have to wait and see what I do in the end.

One more little bit.

Granny squares.
I've been doing these on our hot nights to keep me occupied, but hopefully the weather will start to cool soon and I can get stuck into those bindings.
It is still 32 deg here and nearly 5.30pm.  March is supposed to be autumn!!!!!!
OK, enough from me and the mixed bag from this last few  weeks.
Take care all.
Susan.

13 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to your hubby, it sounds like you had a lovely day out with tea on the way home. You certainly have been busy, though I don't know how you manage it in that heat, I think I'd just have to sit in the shade all day, I'm not very good with heat. The book idea sounds exciting, I hope you manage to get it off the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I too hate the heat and whinge and whine the hot days away and can't wait for autumn, winter and spring. It's actually raining here right now, reasonably steady and just a bit cooler. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday to your husband. I'm glad you are still persevering with your book I'm looking forward to it. 32 deg, goodness we have been excited by our tiny bit of sunshine over here. Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. If you read above reply, you'll know how I dislike being hot. We'll have to see if the book ever makes it into print, but I'll have even more quilts than ever (giggle). Take care.

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday to your husband!! Glad you had a good day out! It sounds as though you have been very busy indeed. A book sounds incredibly exciting!! I will wait to hear more!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. I do hope I can get at least a type of self published bookazine done, but we'll see how far I get.


      Delete
  4. You are always on the go; sounds like it was an adventurous birthday for your husband. Your blocks look great; I like the way you show off the fabric. Can't wait to see your quilts. You do such beautiful work. Hope it cools off a bit, but I think the weather is unusual everywhere. We've had the mildest winter I can remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna. I sometimes feel that I don't do half as much as I want and I know I'm slowing down somewhat. As for weather, it's crazy. After being 32 when I was posting this, next day was 20 at 7am, and by 4pm about 13 with a wind chill factor that took it down to 10 and a great amount of rain which we've not had in ages.

      Delete
  5. Yes, busyness it most definitely a word, well it is here, anyway! So lovely to read about all your happenings, it sounds like life is full and rich and happy for you right now. I hope the weather is cooling down for you and that you're enjoying autumn. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian and yes it is cooling down as I have a long sleeve top on whilst typing this.

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday Keith, sorry you didn't see the dolphins.

    That pile of quilts looks great, very impressed! Right now my focus is on getting the garden ready for the coming season, I don't think there will be much quilting around here in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayne. Not much here, either gardening or quilting for the last week, but look forward to seeing your garden coming into the warmer months. Take care.

      Delete
  7. Just catching up on your posts. Stott Park Bobbin Mill? We did enjoy visiting there three years ago, after a little ride on the Haverthwaite Railway. We were very interested by the history of that whole industry, and the awful conditions that they worked in.

    ReplyDelete