Tuesday 25 April 2017

WHOOPS!!!!

Where has April gone?
 I 'd not realised that it has been 2 weeks since I posted.
This month has been ever so busy, what with all the holidays, ie.  Easter & for us here in Oz, also Anzac day, which is actually today.  I've had all sorts of appointments with doctor, physio, podiatrist, dietitian and X-rays, which are just all sorts of fiddly bits that happen from time to time, but not necessarily on a regular basis.  We've also had a little bit of grandie minding, which makes a change for us, car club meetings & an outing, ferrying a friend to hospital for a cataract removal, then home again, and a couple of other days out. I'm also dealing with the new Disability Scheme interviews, etc., they are bringing in over here, for my brother.  So much to take in.   All in all, I don't feel that I've been home much either. .  Need to catch up with photos for the Scavenger Hunt, plus general type bits of house/garden stuff & my sewing, which is terribly behind on what I set out to achieve recently.
After that bit of twaddle, let's see some photos to go with above blurb.

We'll start with a second day out to McCraes Homestead on the Mornington Peninsular which belongs to the National Trust.  This time I took photos.  Above is the house, which was built in 1844.
Now for a few pics I took inside & in the  garden.

The main room above, where they ate, relaxed & entertained.  There is a central hall with 4 rooms leading off, this being one of them, with 2 bedrooms, plus another smaller bedroom, which has a storeroom behind.  The kitchen was in a separate building a short distance from the house, in case of fire.

In the main bedroom, the bed is sporting a very old quilt, with the papers still in tact.  There is also a lovely timber cradle and another single bed.

This is the storeroom, where they kept valuable items, so they weren't stolen by bushrangers or strangers.  This was in the very early days of settlement, with not a lot widely available, so everything was important.


An assortment of lovely old household items, toys & games.

 The outdoor bread oven, behind the house.

And what else did I find outside, but a beautiful bed of Arisaema.  I didn't even know you could grow these in Australia. I saw them in the glasshoue at Harlow Carr once & thought they were so pretty. They are a native of northern USA, I've discovered & I came home with a small bulblet, which I've planted in a pot.  We'll see what happens and 'yes', I had permission to take one.

Another day out was with Master L & Missy Moo over Easter when we looked after them for a day.
We went to Werribee Open Range Zoo & took a ride on the Safari Train, then wandered at our own pace for the rest of the afternoon.
Before we did go out, DD had baked some fancy biscuits for Missy & I to decorate.

A  little icing, squeezy stuff & few decorations, we ended up with 2 trays of pretty biscuits.


The Safari Train.

Camels

A medley of African animals.

Sleeping Hippos.

And what can we see here?  A Meerkat.
They are very hard to photograph, as they run round like mad if they catch a glimpse of movement. 


I had so much to tell & have had a hard time trying to fit it all in.  I know I had a photo of the quilt on the big machine, but for the life of me can't find where I saved it.😒

Now we knew we had frogs in our pond, but can never see them.  But, to hubby's surprise yesterday morning, he found one in a bowl that we keep to soak pots in occasionally.  Poor little mite couldn't get out because of the straight plastic sides, so we took him up & put him back in the pond.

Enough from me, as I will be back on Friday with the Scavenger Photo Hunt & hopefully be a little more organised.  Too much has happened this month & I'm exhausted.
Take care all and huggles from Susan.

12 comments:

  1. Goodness, you have been busy, no wonder you don't know where April's gone. Lots of lovely things mixed in with the more mundane, it's always good being busy in a good way. Glad you managed to rescue the frog, we found one in the watering can last year beside a clump of frogspawn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope May is slower, as I just want a bit of crafting time to get some projects finished. We see lots of taddies in the pond, but rarely frogs, though we can usually hear them, so know they are around.

      Delete
  2. And you tell me how busy I am??!! Lovely old quilt on that bed! Good to chat with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Umm! Yes, but in different ways I suppose, as we all lead our own lives. The quilts were fascinating, but they didn't know anything about them. Pity, as I asked if any of the 3 had a story. Anyway, I'll be seeing you in June.

      Delete
  3. You do sound to have been run off your feet! Lovely visit and yes I've seen the Arisaema at Harlow Carr too. Our pond is full of frogs and spawn YaY! Got to keep the slugs at bay now my salad crops and veg are trying to grow (oh by the way - as I type this it has started to snow!!)xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Kate, it's certainly been a busy old month. Glad you know what the plants were & have seen them there too. Oh, snow after some of your lovely weather. Hope the garden copes with it. As I type this, it is chucking down with rain (much needed here in southern Oz), and cooling down too, so more like Autumn. I owe you either an email or phone call, so another whoops!

      Delete
  4. You have been busy. I've heard of those flowers as Jack in the Pulpit here, but I don't see them often. That antique quilt is interesting; what papers were on it? The outing with your grandkids looked like fun. Look forward to your photo challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you may know them, but I'd have thought they might grow en-masse like, ah, bluebells or similar, as this lot are around & under a large tree. I loved them, with their unusual colour & little hooded flowers. The papers seemed to be just white, though with washing they could have lost any print maybe.

      Delete
  5. Yes APRIL has a way of it's own with Easter and Anzac Day. I am not familiar with the Ariseamea, new to me . I planted Jolly Jump Up seeds on Monday and now I thionk they may have been washed down the drain, have to wait and see. Enjoyed your posts Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret. The ariseama has now sprouted a little flower too, which I am tickled pink about. Just hope it produces some more bulblets, then I may have a patch to call my own.

      Delete
  6. Lovely old quilts. I have never heard of Arisaema and thought it might be the same family as our 'Lords and Ladies', but it isn't, only that they are Arums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Definitely not Lords & Ladies, as these are a ground cover type with little flowers & the one I have is striped, but also come in quite a few other colours too.

      Delete