Wednesday 30 August 2017

AUGUST PHOTO SCAVENGER HUNT.

Joining in on our monthly hunt for interesting photos to go with a set of words from the lovely Kate.
I nearly forgot all about it, as this month has been a bit of a chore with some of our coldest weather in a long time and just being a tad overwhelmed at the moment with aches, stress & the overall yucky world news.  This Hunt helps me refocus and hopefully, I'll feel like keeping up with my blog again.
1.  RELAXED.
Hubby relaxing on a timber seat during a day out a few weeks ago.  Actually, they weren't very comfortable at all.

2.  IT BEGINS WITH AN M..........
MAILBOX.......Here in Oz, we do see some very quirky mail boxes, as unlike UK, our posties ride a small motorbike to deliver our mail & our boxes are at the front gate, though some are going over to electric pushbikes now in the suburbs and country towns.  Out in the countryside, you often see a line of mailboxes together at the junction of a side road or lane.  These deliveries are usually done by car.

3.  TIME FOR........
TEA..... a miniature teaset at the NT. property McCrae's Homestead which we visited earlier this year.  Isn't it cute & I can imagine a little girl having lots of fun with it.

4.  TANGERINE.
OK, not very original, but this was the colour of the car we hired last year whilst travelling in UK.  We could definitely spot where we had parked it.

5.  IT BEGINS WITH AN O.......
OVENS.....   I took this photo of the communal ovens in Corbridge, Northumberland in 2011.  If you click on it, you can read the blue plaque explanation.

6.  WHISKERY.
Oooh,  I found this one difficult, but thought this closeup of some white gum blossom, looked sort of whiskery.

7.  LACE.
IRON LACE......The wrought iron lace on the top verandahs of this row of terrace houses in Melbourne is, I think, lovely when kept in good condition.  It was used on many houses and even bridges here in Australia in our colonial past.

8.  BRIDGE.
SEA BRIDGE.....  Actually, I've shown this before, but think that some bloggers who do the Hunt, may not have seen it.  Just south of Sydney, it was built to replace the road that kept slipping into the sea at the bottom of the cliffs.  There are several view points to take photos and I took this one in 2014.  I must like taking pics of bridges, as I found at least 8 to choose from & dithered over which one to pick.

9.  LETTERS.
Whoops!!  Just one letter, that I found at 4 Elms Nursery in Kent last year & wanted to bring home with me, as hubby's name starts with a K.  We didn't think we'd like to pay extra for luggage so left it there and only took a photo.

10.  MY OWN CHOICE.
Beach hut roofs.
Taken last Sunday, when we popped out for me to go to a small Quilt Show at Mornington.  We ate our lunch looking down on these, clouds rolling in, people walking dogs along the beach, some rowers in canoes and seagulls soaring on the wing.


Well, that's me done for another month and look forward to seeing what everyone else has chosen to go with their words.
Happy September all, Spring for us and Autumn in the northern hemisphere.
Thanks Kate.

36 comments:

  1. and a very Happy Birthday for yesterday......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute car, you're right, you would easily be able to find it again! Nice and little to park too :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy, it wasn't little, but an SUV & very comfortable. Out here they are badged as Holden Trax.
      Don't think I'll have any finishes this month.

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos. I think the mailbox is my favourite, it must be fascinating seeing lots of different mailboxes by the gates. The little tea set is so cute too, I bet that was some little girl's pride and joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I thought the mailbox may give people a giggle & I'd found quite a few for M, then saw that, one day last week & snapped it instead. Did you have a tiny teaset? I know I did, but it's long gone.

      Delete
  4. I love your scavenger hunts. How do you decide what to do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. Kate from I live, I love, I craft, runs them each month & chooses the words & puts them on her blog. I've put the link above & her blog is on my sidebar too. They are great for mooching through your archive photos and always being on the alert with your camera. Keeps my old grey matter working.(giggle)

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed your photos and can also sympathise with you about the cold. It's been a miserable winter here as well and I am so glad spring is officially here - tomorrow :)

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diana and yes it's certainly been very cold here in southern Oz too.

      Delete
  6. I like Lace. Thats a great interpretation. The mail box is very quirky indeed. :) I love beach huts, so I appreciate your choice and the gum blossom is a good idea for whiskery.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such lovely comments. I've enjoyed everyone's photos for this month. I must get some more pics of the beach huts, as some are so pretty with stripes.

      Delete
  7. Lovely photos! I must admit those wooden seats don't look very relaxing.
    I have a blogging friend in Australia and so like you they are preparing for Spring. We however are heading into autumn after a pretty rotten summer here in the North of the UK. Who knows we might be blessed with a warm snap at some point during the next week or so. Today it is raining yet again :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The wooden seats really dug into my back, so taking photos was far more relaxing. We've actually had sun today, after about 2 months of only seeing it occasionally.

      Delete
  8. Love the photos, especially the little teaset

    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow the sea bridge is something else! It's been 25 years since I was last in Oz, so much will have changed. The wrought iron verandah railings are so quintessentially Australian...great interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sea bridge is something else & having grown up in Sydney, I knew the old coast road well, & this new part of the road now amazes me. I too love all the gorgeous iron lace you still see here. Thanks for joining in too.

      Delete
  10. What a lovely selection this time. Love the mail box, the tea set - Kate had one like that, the bridge picture is beautiful but my favourite is the lace. It brought back memories to us both as there are many old Colonial buildings in Southern Africa but there the decorative filigree work is known as 'broekie lace'. Lovely description! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks C. I was just about to close this & up popped your comment. I wondered if you had the lace in Southern Africa too & now I know. Did you have country mail boxes as well? Tell Kate I had a little teaset too, & not sure where it ended up.

      Delete
  11. As usual I enjoyed reading about your selection. I thought the cow mailbox was a hoot and it is my favourite. Good of the planners to do away with the sliding road and put a lovely curving bridge in. I too am hoping for an Indian summer in the UK as summer this year has not been good! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M,& I think everyone liked the cow, which as you say is a hoot. It is Spring today & maybe the start of warmer weather.

      Delete
  12. Susan! Lovely lovely photos :) Interestingly enough the 'Iron Lace' on your Australian houses also appeared on South African homes except there is called 'Brookie Lace' which translates as knicker lace!! I love all your interpretations :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. I try & think outside the box, but sometimes it just doesn't come. I love the S.A meaning of the lace. That really made me giggle.

      Delete
  13. It's great to see photos from Oz. I've got relatives there but have never been. Hopefully one day. The bridge is amazing! I'd be hanging on for dear life. I love the iron lace too because I'm always looking at architectural details. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you & I hope you make it to here one day to see Oz for yourself. I too love architecture & as a child that was what I wanted to be, an architect. but sadly it never happened.

      Delete
  14. Great photos, the bridge is wonderful. Love your interpetations especially the milk churn post box and the communal ovens too:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. A nice, varied collection and some great interpretations!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're right, at present the world news is even more depressing than usual, so congrats on an excellent set of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayne & not good world news at the moment, so actually I don't really listen & only try to pick up on the good bits.

      Delete
  17. I love glimpsing into your life in Australia Susan - the mail box is fabulous and the gum tree blossom. We saw the rows of mailboxes you talked about - very quirky - and the lovely railings in Melbourne. YOu're right - this is an antidote to the world news at the minute and like yourself it's the only blog I'm managing to get done most months. Have a great September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fil, so glad you enjoy this hunt & at least get to do some blogging occasionally. Hope you have a good Sepember too & can relax a little more, though I realise you have a hectic life. Enjoy some time in that cute caravan.

      Delete
  18. I'm sorry you've been feeling stressed, I agree that the current world news is pretty depressing. That Sea Bridge is amazing, I've never come across anything like that before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian, I'm sure you'd like to see it, as I know like me, you love the coast.

      Delete
  19. Hi Susan, you were my chatting partner at Judy's Mystery Case Weekend. Just learnt to comment!! Yippee. I've been reading your blogs for quite a while, and love them. So interesting, & varied. Your photos are amazing. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Raylene. Lovely to see you comment & I thought we might end up in the naughty corner at that weekend, as we chatted too much (giggle).

      Delete