Friday 27 October 2017

OCTOBER SCAVENGER PHOTO HUNT.



Linking up once again with I live, I love, I craft for our wonderful photo hunt.  When I first saw our list of words, it was an, "oh my gosh" moment, but once you settle in, it is not as hard as you first think.

1.    MAKING.
The first thing I thought of for this one, was 'making' with a photo from a current craft project, then I remembered thinking when I took this photo, of the quote, "Make do and mend".  Well, it's definitely making do and mending.  Taken on our recent trip to Canberra.
2.    EMPTY.
No roof, crumbling walls & weeds growing inside, tells me this was empty and forlorn.  Taken in the Flinders Rangs in South Australia some years ago.
3.    STARTS WITH F................
I came up with so many for the letter F, and chose this rather large fungi beside Lake Learmonth, near Ballarat.
4.    PAPER.
I really struggled with this, trying to think outside the box.  Looking for a "paper" clip one afternoon, a thought popped into my head and I snapped these on the coffee table.  The cute animals & flowers were ones I purchased on a trip to UK.  Duh!
5.    NEAT.
These waist high veg beds are really such a "neat" idea, espcially for someone with back issues, (like me).  Photographed in the walled vegetable garden at Nunnington Hall in Yorkshire.
6.    STREET.
                               Leaning on the lamp post at the corner of the STREET.
Does anyone remember this song, sung by Herman's Hermits or am I showing my age?  This was again taken at Learmonth when we lived in Ballarat. 
7.    KETTLE.
A lovely old kettle sitting on the range at National Trust property, Como House here in Melbourne, which we visited a few months ago. 
8.    UNEXPECTED.
Last post, I talked about our "What If" afternoon driving through the forests south of town, but I didn't show this most 'unexpected' moment.  We suddenly came upon a helicopter being filled by one of the trucks in the distance, then taking off and spraying either pesticide, fertilizer or seed.  We sat in awe, thinking how amazing to see something like this.
9.    VASE.
I think I've shown this "vase" before, but I love it for arranging a few simple flowers.  Shown here are kangaroo paws from this garden.  I'd seen a similar vase & thought how lovely, but it was pricey.  We stumbled upon this one & it was so much less expensive & it gets used a lot.
10.   MY OWN CHOICE.
I took this photo whilst at Floriade in Canberra last month & guess what?  No people around.  I expect they are supposed to be a couple of emus & I thought they were so cute.  So did Little E & we both stood snapping away with our cameras.

Well, that's my lot for this month and look forward to seeing what everyone else has come up with.
I'm a bit later than usual, due to dealing with conference calls for little brother & needing a good walk.
Have a great weekend all and I'll be back Tuesday joining in Finishing Stitches, which I've been a bit wayward with lately.
Susan.

29 comments:

  1. Another interesting selection of photos! Leaning on the lamp post.... I don't remember Herman's Hermits singing this one but I do remember George Formby singing it..... Your paperclip selection was inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M. I have the Herman's Hermits version on an old album set of records & that's the one we heard here in Oz back in the 60's. Do love stationery items.

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos again, a nice selection. I didn't know that Herman's Hermits had sung Leaning on a Lampost, I associate it with George Formby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. See above reply about Herman's Hermits.

      Delete
  3. I thought it was George Formby too, but I also remember Herman's Hermits. (No Milk Today) The emus look very interesting...are they planted up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona. I remember them singing all sorts, but the one you mentioned always makes me laugh, as I worked with a young lad who always sang the chorus, "no milk today, the cow has gone away".

      Delete
  4. Hi Susan, thank you for joining in, I loved your make do and mend rusty shed, beautiful in a rather forlorn way :) Clever you with the paperclips and I love those raised beds!! I will email you soon my dear, now that life is settling back down xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, I love this, as it means I've something to look forward to at the end of each month, not that I don't do other things too, but just so great to find other like-minded people. I need raised beds now and thanks again.

      Delete
  5. Great set of photos, like the top photo looks lie something I would do !and the kettle on the old range.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda. I could see me taking quilt photos against it too, but am not game enough to knock on someone's door and ask permission. I've other places in mind for some of those.

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed your photos. What a neat idea for raised beds! Not only am I starting to have a bit of a back issue but I've got two naughty dogs who think digging plants up is great fun. I know what my husband will be making next Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go raised beds, a must for oldies (me) & people with back issues. I've 2 now, which I must blog about soon, but I don't have any wayward dogs.

      Delete
  7. I love your scavenger hunts and wonder if I could EVER do something like this!! Too difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. You could do it, as I'm pretty sure you'd have a wonderful archive of photos & I usually spend maybe a couple of hours per month to get it done & always have my list & camera with me when out & about. Most people also have their phones handy, though mine isn't a smart phone AT ALL.

      Delete
  8. Definitely Hermans Hermit's for Leaning on the amp post, at least here in new Zealand too. Love the old shed, in fact I've enjoyed all your choices :)

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diana, it must have been a southern hemisphere thing with the Hermits singing it.

      Delete
  9. loved the photos , Hermans Hermits a blast from the past but Ionly remember George Formby singing it.Has to be the old range though for my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb & I once had a newer range which I cooked on & heated our water. Loved it.

      Delete
  10. Lovely photos and a great selection I've really enjoyed lookinga them and reading the explanations behind them. Remember Herman's Hermits although not them singing that song but I can imagine them singing it:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You really amaze me with the variety of pictures you have! And great creativity today!! Finishing Stitches isn't officially up this month.. but you can still post finishes :) xx PS Never heard of Herman's Hermits :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. No post for Finishing Stitches this month? OK, I'll wait till the end of November, but hope to have quite a few more by then. You've never heard of Herman's Hermits? Even DD has & she is a tad younger than you (giggle).

      Delete
  12. Great photos. I do remember that song Leaning on a Lamppost......
    Julie xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. I suppose you remember the George Formby version!

      Delete
  13. Great photos Susan - I love the old barn and the deserted house - a great one for empty... your vase is beautiful - kangaroos paws made me smile - how exotic the other side of the world sounds :) I remember Herman's Hermits vaguely - I had to look them up - I'm Into Something Good jogged my memory.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The old barn made me think of a house built of playing cards! Wonder what tales the old barn and roofless house could tell. By the way I too remember George Formby singing the old song but I just wondered whether K is 'hoping a little lady comes by'!! (Sorry comments are late.)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry I am so late in catching up with your pictures - where DOES time go these days?

    As always you select such an interesting and lovely collection of photos :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Little late getting to your post but I too remember Herman's Hermits. One of my favorite groups when I was much much younger :). I really enjoyed your ohotos. Hugs, Sharon

    ReplyDelete