Saturday 22 June 2019

QUILTY CATCHUP

Ah............finally catching up on some quilt related bits.  Taking photos has been really hard outdoors, due to the weather.  I've taken a few with me each time we've hopped in the car for any reason, but gloom, precipitation & wind has been against me.  A few of these have been taken around the house or yard & a few on an unexpected fine day.
We'll start with 3 quilts that have left home.  I donated these to the hostel of our local retirement village.  They like to give new residents a gift with quilts & rugs being accepted as good candidates.
The one on the left was a mystery quilt from a magazine, the middle one from a book by Judy Martin & Marsha McCloskey & the one on the right from a magazine.  All these were made many, many years ago & have lived in my linen closet & never used, except for a brief spell after finished on one of the spare beds to admire, till I made something else.
Next we have 2 quilts made from one of my own designs in different fabrics & placement of the colouring.  One I made a few years ago & the other very recently.
The design I called Country Casual & I do have another I may do in a very bright colourway.

Some time ago I showed a jelly roll bundle I was going to work with to do three different quilts.  One is finished, one ready to be quilted & the last awaiting to be started.  I quilted No. 1 using a spotty wideback fabric, which accommodated 1 more wall size quilt & a very old table runner.  Here they are below.
                                   Table runner made from a book to test out border type fabric.
The people who follow my blog will know I had a quilt pattern published in an on-line magazine. They send a copy of the instructions etc. to you of how it will look & to make sure the it's all OK.
I decided to make one of my blocks again to test it & then made 3 more to end up with the above.
I am quite pleased with it & except for one tiny error (my mistake) which they fixed before it was published, all was right.
Next up is the one I hope to have a published in an upcoming issue, if I can find the time to write up the pattern.  This is my downfall, in that I tend to fly by the seat of my pants, when designing & constructing.  I've called the quilt above Jelly Jumble.  The other two made with these fabrics will be Jelly Jive & Jelly Jazz.  Me being Jelly silly.😊
And this is how I work.  I first designed the one on the left on the flight home from UK in 2016 on a scrap of paper.  I do quite a bit of scribbling whilst travelling.  The one on the right is pieced & awaiting quilting.
                                A closeup of the quilting.  The pattern is Jacks by Dawna Sanders.

 The old flower fairy panels I showed a while back, finished & quilted with a pattern called Angel Wings from Willow Leaf Studios.
Crystal Geese
This again is one of my own designs from my Quilt Wizard program awaiting to be quilted.  I will be donating this as a Christmas Raffle prize to the organisation who helps with my younger brother. 

A day out in May saw  me take a few quilts with us to hopefully get some lovely outdoor shots.  The weather behaved & here we have 2 that have been quilted this year.  Both are my own designs, one from Quilt Wizard & the other planned on graph paper.
Dripsicle.
I think I posted about the making of the one above, but never took photos once finished.
Swishy Stars.
I may have shown this earlier in the year on my design wall & now it is completed I really like it.  It was designed many years ago on graph paper.  The pansy fabric is of an age too.
I'm sure you are all "quilted" out by now, so next time I pop up here it will be possibly be Friday for the Scavenger Photo Hunt. 
I just want to thank all my blogpals for giving me these chances to show one of my passions.
Take care & huggles from Susan.


13 comments:

  1. Wow! What can I say, they're all fabulous. You're so clever, they're all beautiful. Hard to choose a favourite, I like them all, but I do like that last one, or perhaps the one before, or the Flower Fairies, hmmm, like I said, hard to choose a favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I have favourites too, but try hard not to keep them all. I have a book on the Flower Fairies which I think you'd love.

      Delete
  2. My goodness how busy you have been. How do you fit all this in. Love your Jellys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. Remember Ive been quilting a looooong time & some of these are very old now, some have been waiting on the quilting/binding bit & yes, a few are new.

      Delete
  3. How wonderful to have the ability to make such beautiful quilts, I'm full of admiration. I like the table runner and the way you have displayed the larger quilts. Lovely to see them out in the fresh air. Have a good week:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie. I just love doing! Sewing probably being at the top of the list, along with gardening (not much happening at the moment though), baking, crochet/knitting, general craft & photography.

      Delete
  4. Goodness gracious, far too much for my little brain to absorb in one hit :-) You are a very clever, and very prolific, little person. xx

    You did make me laugh: never used, except for a brief spell after finished on one of the spare beds to admire, till I made something else . . . ooops, that must be a Universal quilting problem, because I have been in exactly the same situation, far too many times. Had to have a ~major~ giving away session a couple of years ago to get the numbers down to manageable proportions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayne & everyone must remember I made my first quilt in 1977, & although I'm not one to sit & sew, sew, sew, a half to one hour here & there all mounts up.

      Delete
  5. You have such talent, these are also lovely and huge congratulations on having your designs published. I bet your retirement village were so excited to receive your donations of such useful and pretty quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie for your kind comment. The village was very grateful.

      Delete
  6. Hi Susan, I am trying to reply to your comment on my blog but it comes up as a 'no-reply-comment'. Did you know that? Anyway, it is very cold in Melbourne this morning, so the photos will wait until later. I'm no photographer, just have fun finding backdrops and styling! Your outdoor ones I just how I like to do mine. Your Crystal Geese design is very striking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan. I've never been able to figure out how not to be a no-reply blogger. I think we enjoy your area on days out sometimes, where I've taken some of my photos in the past.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful quilts, and I do like the table runner …

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete