Thursday 11 July 2019

PORTABLE DESIGN WALL.

Recently my blog friend Joy, from Days Filled with Joy,  talked about her new design wall & a couple of people pointed out that with rental properties there were limitations to what they could use.
Hopefully my design wall will be an interesting alternative to something permanent.  Mine came about, as where I sew is quite small, being the third bedroom and measuring approximately 9'8" x 11', including a built-in robe.
 In it's usual position in front of the wardrobe doors.  It is easy to move out of the way, by folding & placing somewhere else.
                                                               Shown partially folded.
HOW IT WAS MADE.
We used a slim core board, sold here in Australia under the brand name Corflute & was purchased at Bunnings a big hardware chain.  The pieces were 900mm x 600mm x 5mm thick.  We used 4 which cost us $31.40 ($7.85 each).  They are extremely lightweight.
 Next we taped them together as above using general purpose cloth tape measuring 5cm wide.
A close up of the taping.  Under the felt on the front, I think it was over the join lengthways, but on the back we put it both sides of the join so it will fold nicely.
Next came the felt for the front.  This was purchased at Spotlight (another big chain store here) and comes on a roll.  It is quite fine & wide enough to cover both boards & I must have bought about 3 metres to cover the length.  Again we used the tape to secure it on the back after pulling it quite taut.  I had tried a thin batting, but found it awkward and it seemed to stretch out of shape.  The felt has stood the test of time over 4 years so far. 
                                                                The tape in position.
The board folded in half and easily moved out of the way.  It is lightweight enough for moving & as I'm only about 148cm tall, I don't have any problems & most blocks, etc stay in place.

I also have a small design wall made around 1997 which has moved all over the place with us & has always sat not too far from my sewing machine .  I use this when piecing individual blocks or as is shown below, for contemplating bits 'n' pieces I may be playing with.😉
The little table beside my machine desk is a recent purchase from........ ALDI, of all places, & I'm sure everyone has heard of them, not just here in Oz.  It extends both sides, and is great when attaching borders or binding, as it supports all the weight of the growing quilt.
Excuse the messy sewing space and the quality of the photos, but the sun was in & out whilst trying to snap the room.  I really wanted to get this post done for someone who was interested.
Today is very miserable with gusty high winds, biting cold, gloomy grey skies and the occasional showers and we have been told there is more to come over the next 4 days possibly.
Hope this post helps any quilty friends who need an easy design wall solution.
Hope to be back with a bit of crafty catch up from DH and I before too long.
Take care all & huggles.
Susan.



15 comments:

  1. That's a great solution, it can be carried with you from room to room, or stored away when not in use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. Only trouble with me is, that it never gets put away, as it's nearly always got something on it.

      Delete
  2. Your have a lovely, light and airy room to work in especially when the weather is bad outside. The Aldi table is super as is your design wall, what a great idea:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie, it is lovely in their on a sunny cool day.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing your design wall. Great idea. Hugs,xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's OK Jeanette & if you need any more info, you can contact me through Joy if need be.

      Delete
  4. Good idea for your design wall. Especially like that it stands on its own. I like the quilt you have on it, too. I'm glad you are in the Meadow Mist group; I liked it because it isn't a rush qal, but will go on for a bit so I will have time to keep up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna. May work on that quilt today as it is bucketing down with rain. Looking forward to the Meadow Mystery too.

      Delete
  5. What a great idea. Lots of natural light coming into your room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susan, it's me again. I wanted to thank you for your lovely messages on my blog about my quilts. I can help you change your blogger profile if you want to so you can receive replies to your comments directly in your in-box. Replying to comments personally rather than directly on your blog is much easier too!
    This design wall is perfect! I think I am going to add it to my project list. Having a straight on view of blocks and quilt tops makes a huge difference to the design process....and the back (when I have is a design floor!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. I do have trouble with the 'no-reply' blog thing & would love to know how you can help me. Yes, having a design wall is definitely easier on the back & I used the floor for longer than I care to think about with kids & cats running about many years ago. giggle) Take care.

      Delete
  7. Many thanks for sharing this Susan.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete