Monday 20 July 2020

THIS 'N' THAT.

A little bit of what has happened in the last few weeks. 
I've not always  remembered my camera for our local walks, but did take it one day last week.
 From the small park behind our court, we head down the next street and this is the view that beholds us.  A big new estate with clouds of steam from a La Trobe Valley power station in the distance.
 The new school on that estate under construction.  Looks to be quite colourful.
And further along a new wetlands appearing.  We saw a lone pelican circling over this and I didn't have the camera with me.

A DAY OUT.
Before we headed back into lockdown in Melbourne once again, we had a day out in our own area.  We can still do that, being a regional shire, but due to our car being in for repairs, we are a little stuck for going anywhere.
This particular day we made for the coast, picnic basket & thermos in the back & looking forward to a nice walk along the beach.
Just as we headed south, we noticed the mist hanging between the hills, so stopped and took this                                                                                          photo.

Our destination was Shallow Inlet on the south coast of Victoria, about an hour's drive away.
Looking across the inlet to the mountains on Wilson's Promontory. 
 Our car sitting on the sand of the deserted northern side of the inlet.  There were some cars at the southern end with trailers, as this is where fishermen launch their boats to go fishing.
 Walking to the end of the sand, you see this vegetation leading on into marshy land at the head of the inlet.
                                                       DH all rugged up on the track.
                                                       Looking out over the marshy ground.
              Back on the beach, I noticed these 3 pelicans had dropped by to do some fishing.

A FAMILY VISIT.
One of the best days happened about 3 weeks ago now, when some restrictions had been lifted and DD & family could make their way across Melbourne & visit us.  It was wonderful & although I don't show photos of them, DD did bring some of her crafty stuff for both a fun playing session. Crochet blocks & fabric star blocks and also a quilt for me to pop on the big machine when I can get some appropriate backing fabric.  Still can't get to my favourite quilt shops.
The crochet squares on the floor.

And the stars being played with.  A few more are needed, then she has big ideas for some borders.
This the quilt she left here for me to quilt.  I remember her appliqueing these hearts many years ago.
The round plaque on the wall above the ladder was made for me by my younger brother who is intellectually disabled,  at the support group he attends in Sydney.  A mosaic of pebbles & colourful pieces of glass arrived in the post last Christmas & was a lovely surprise.

Occasionally over the last few weeks, we've driven 5 minutes out of town, whichever way we feel like, to give our Morris Minor a run to keep her going.  Taking my camera I was able to snap a few photos on different days.
South of town we have a DAFFODIL farm & it's fun to spot where they have put the bulbs each year.
Rows of daffs in flower last week.
I'll try and remember to see if I can get another photo, maybe soon, to show more.
To the north of town we often spot this camel and lucky for me he was in the front paddock this particular day.

TRYING TO STAY BUSY.
Although I've always plenty to do, I'm struggling to find my mojo at the moment, with this crisis not going away and our cold and dreary weather.  Over the weekend I did some baking & put a little quilt on the machine.
Blueberry Muffins.

Malted Mocha Slice.
                                                                     The small quilt. 
I'm not exactly happy with the quilting, but so be it.  The blue stars were made many years ago & the stitcheries a little later.  Not sure what I had in mind for either, so they ended up as this.

OK, enough waffling from me and I'm off to make us some lunch & wait to see if our car is ready for picking up.
Take care all, stay safe & huggles from down under.

13 comments:

  1. A lovely newsy post, I do like to hear what you've been up to. It's no fun being in lockdown but you do have some beautiful places close by which you're able to visit and I'm pleased that you got to see your daughter and her family before you went into lockdown again, you've certainly passed the crafty gene onto her, her projects are fabulous, I love the heart quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jo. I often think you'd get along well with her, as you both love reading & your yarny crafts. It's so hard at the moment, but I'm trying hard to carry on regardless & we got the car back this afternoon. Hugs.

      Delete
  2. I love this homey post! My favorites are the heart quilt and the baked goodies. I so wish I possessed your talent of being able to do your own quilting! It would have saved me a bundle of money through the years.💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. I'm very fortunate to have my big machine, but not a lot of mojo at the moment to do much. I really need some sunshine, as the weather has been appalling.

      Delete
  3. I enjoy your walks with you, and think I need to get out for some exercise myself, even if it is in my very neglected garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy. Ours doesn't look good either, but it's so wet outside all the time at the moment, so is not enjoyable pottering.

      Delete
  4. Thank you ...
    What a wonderful post, full of good things and lovely photographs.

    Take care

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. Trying to stay positive in this strange, strange time.

      Delete
  5. Susan I love this post. So many interesting things and that star quilt is gorgeous. I am not quilting at the moment but have all the bits and pieces ready to make several new ones. I have some gorgeous Christmas fabric that I bought to make quilts with. I think as soon as the mood hits I might get on and make them at long last.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness Susan! Looks like you are keeping yourself very busy!! Isn't it lovely when a daughter grows up and shares the love of creating? My oldest is the same and we spend lots of time discussing all things crafty, sharing ideas and enjoying each others endeavours.
    I realise that we need new housing but I always find it a shame when great swathes of lovely countryside get covered in generic buildings on shoebox size blocks. The pelican at the wetlands was probably wondering what was going on in his patch!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely post :) I really enjoyed seeing the photos of your day out... I've not really got beyond the garden for about 7 weeks now as we've spent all our time working on that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post with much of interest, I love the photos of your day out. Good to have a family visit and your baking looks wonderful. Take care:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You seem to have been busy with lots of good stuff. Those blueberry muffins look delicious. It's funny to think of daffodils blooming now on the other side of the world. X

    ReplyDelete