Friday 15 January 2021

FRIDAY PHOTO SCAVENGER HUNT - NEW

 

Joining  with the lovely Kate from I live, I love, I craft, I am me, once again for our hunt.

Today's word is NEW..................thought this would be difficult, but a few things happened this week which made it more manageable, except for photography today.  We have a thunderstorm happening right this minute and it's been ridiculously cold for mid summer.  After 37deg during the week, it's a stark contrast today and also blowing a hooley, so my photos aren't the best.


Not quite "new", but a nice shiny new paint job for a project started many years ago.

The window frame Keith made while living at No. 4 before retirement & relegated to a corner after it's initial undercoat.  It went with us to Ballarat, then  followed here to No.5 & again got lost among other "stuff" in the garage, till I went searching for something & saw it languishing & thought, "It's now or never", so bought some purple paint & those pretend mirror squares & went to work with a little help from my other half.  Deciding soil may not be a good idea in the very narrow window box attached, I opted for some plastic type foliage.  It hasn't been put in place as yet, due to the windy conditions today, but should reflect our steps & the pergola with climbers.  Hopefully.  The old pink heart shape casserole has my new succulent planting, but isn't quite what I imagined.   Maybe it might need a makeover at some time.

MY NEW TOY.
This wasn't planned for this post, but here we are............Not wanting to buy new things, I really got to the stage it was necessary.  I find it hard to not have music on all day and without being able to play my old LP records  and then the CD part failing as well, we lashed out yesterday and bought a new "my style" sound system.  Has anybody in my age group found it nearly impossible to get a record player,
3 stacker CD & tape deck with radio easy?  Nothing comes with a CD stacker, so it's one at a time, but I love my vinyl & CD collection & played one of my Dad's old records this morning.  Heavenly!!!!
Ready to go.

In action.

LASTLY..............A little surprise arrived yesterday morning via the parcel post man. who delivered this.

A garden wall calendar and tea towel accompanied by a card from my lovely blogging friend Rosie who lives in the UK.  I was quite overcome & thrilled to receive it.  Thanks Rosie, they'll be put to good use.

OK, my lot done for this week and thanks to Kate for keeping me motivated.  I've been so all over the place lately, that I need to sit back, make some lists and get organised for the year ahead, my quilting, gardening, blogging and just life in general.  Hopefully we'll see an improvement in the year ahead & at sometime get back to a new normal life.
Pleas take care, stay safe and hugs from down under.
Susan.




24 comments:

  1. Your little greenery corner looks lovely, such a clever idea. Vinyl is making a comeback, I asked Daniel if he wanted my dad's record player expecting him to say no but his answer was yes, he surprised me, so it's here waiting for him for when I see him next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I think a lot of young people are seeing things in a different way & "streaming" isn't the only way.

      Delete
  2. The purple paint is lovely, goes well with the pink planters. I've never thought to look for a record player and can't remember what we did with all our old records, it must be nice for you to be able to play them again. Nice to receive unexpected gifts and well done on finding your new things for the photo hunt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. I've always been an avid music lover, a lot due to my Dad.

      Delete
  3. When our grandson comes to play if we watch a film, I use DVD's which he finds exciting as mummy and daddy streams everything, he loves to choose which film and to pop it in the player. I do have a box set of LP's but sadly no record player.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We've also a lot of DVDs & one of our seven grandsons loved our Guy Martin DVDs & is a big fan now.

      Delete
  4. I like the purple paint, it's a great colour and looks well with the plants in front of it. As Jo says, vinyl is making a comeback here and many supermarkets sell a few records in their music section. Years ago I bought a music centre with a 5-cd changer and record player, it still works well and has a great sound but I can't use the record player now as the music centre is in a unit and I can't lift the lid, however during my friend's house move in November her daughter gave me a record/cd player with a USB port to record to blank cd's so I'm now able to play and record some much missed vinyl music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eunice. We bought our first system, probably when we got a few CDs after being bullied to try them back in the mid 80's, then the one that just conked out in 1994, so only 2 up till now in our 46 years together.

      Delete
  5. I love the purple paint ... purple is my favourite colour ... I particularly love how it shows of the green of your foliage. Whilst we no longer have any form of CD or record player, we still do have a big stash of CDs and vinyl under the bed, that we can’t really bear to part with. I have loaded most of the CDs onto iTunes so they can be played on an iPod or through the iPad, but the vinyl is pure nostalgia 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol, I love playing with colour, but my favourite is pink. I'm a bit slow on the digital side of things & like the old-fashioned way.

      Delete
  6. Love the purple paint job. When we moved here nearly 6 years ago I packed up our record player etc and it's never been unpacked. I must be the odd one out as I can't work/sew/relax etc with music on. I like it quiet. Very occasionally I'll put a CD to play in my PC if I'm having a big sort out nearby but that only happens once a year! It's -1° C here, cold but the sun is out and the snowy landscape looks fab. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M. You're not the odd one out, just different & plenty of people need peace & quiet. Still cold here too for summer & it only got up to 16deg today & there were snow flurries up around Mt. Bulla. Definitely not very summer like.

      Delete
  7. Love your upcycled window. The colour is brilliant. Look forward to a photo of it in its final position. We do have a record player. Part of a music centre we bought years ago. Early 1990's. We have since bought a newer music centre and attached the record player but to be honest never play it even though we have quite a few vinyl records. Keep well and cool. Like Threads says, it's freezing here. Keep well and safe. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. I need my music & we have a quite large selection of both vinyl & CDs & missed playing all my Christmas ones over the holiday season. Basically music "systems" are nearly obsolete. Pity. We are keeping cool with ridiculously low temps for summer.

      Delete
  8. That upcycled window is fantastic and it has got to be the nicest shade of purple I've seen in a while. I have a hat in a very similar colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cherie & the colour was a bit brighter than I'd thought, but I love it.

      Delete
  9. We have/had three record players, our original one and the boys have their own, so our house is often filled with music. I find it amusing that my music taste is a lot 'younger' than the boys who like stuff from the 70s and 80s 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for keeping me motivated Kate & my taste in music is quite eclectic with genres from many eras, except very recently.

      Delete
  10. I do like the purple paint it goes well with the planters.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. I also love finding quirky old things to use as planters.

      Delete
  11. The paint job and added mirrors look great, very pretty!
    Your sound system looks nice, what fun to play records again. I've been thinking about getting one too.
    It's always nice to receive goodies in the mail from friends, lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Astrid & the sound systems are hard to come by & I've already realised not the quality they once were, but it will have to do for now.

      Delete
  12. The plant in the heart-shaped casserole is adorable, and I quite like that purple window frame. As for LPs, sorry, they are long gone, and CDs came out when I was in my 20s...and I'm clearing out my CDs, have been over the past month, making sure I have what I want digitally. Much less to dust, ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra & I'm enjoying where the window frame is still sitting, but we must hang it on the wall in case it gets knocked from the table. I'm maybe a bit old-fashioned, but do love my vinyl & CDs.

      Delete