Thursday 25 April 2013

ANZAC DAY




Today is Anzac Day in Australia.  It commemorates the landing of the troops at Gallipoli and is a holiday here in Oz and N.Z.

It maybe a holiday for some, but hubby is working a long shift and won't be home till after 10pm.  Buses don't take days off.

I've manged to squeeze a lot in.  Housework, then plenty of sewing.

"English Garden"

The next quilt to go on the machine is one of my own designs.  It will have  an allover pattern , one that  I'd already picked, which will not start in the right place, so must find another.

Hems.

My next door neighbour rang on Monday to ask if I could put up  hems on a couple of pairs of trousers for her husband.    Her Gran isn't up to it any more, so I said yes and got these done on Wednesday morning.  I was given a lovely little box of chocolates for the favour.  How lovely was that?



Baby quilt in progress.
This is the baby quilt from the fabric I showed on an earlier blog.  It now needs a small border, but I'm not sure what colour to use.  I'm open to suggestions.  This is the sewing I got finished today.  I have many triangles over from the corners, and my friend PW and I are going to make 2 doll quilts for our granddaughters.
I have made this quilt before and used the leftovers for a doll quilt for another of my granddaughters.  It is a good  quilt for when you need one quickly.

THE GARDEN.
Muscari now well through.
Anemones coming through.

Many friesias well up now and 2 species gladioli.



Lastly, an arrangement of autumn maple foliage.

My friend PW, ( whom I mentioned earlier) and  have just found that we are able to get Kirstie Allsopp's new  TV programme on DVD, although it still has not aired over here.  We are both big fans of her crafty shows.  Mature age groupies.  (giggle).

Well, that  was how I spent the last few days.  I'm still knitting that scarf, but have given up on the crochet for now.  Will think about what to do with the squares I've made and try something else soon.
Susan.

3 comments:

  1. Is it Kirstie's Vintage Home? I have to admit that I wasn't keen on this series at all, though I liked her previous ones. It's lovely to see everything in the garden springing back to life. Most of my perennials have now popped their heads above the soil and are growing at a speedy rate. The quilts are gorgeous, the baby quilt is lovely and bright. What a lovely idea to make quilts for your grandaughters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan, you have made some lovely quilts! My Mom quilts she lives in Virginia. She is making squares for a class at the moment but made my girls quilts for Christmas that they love, and when my son graduated from High School she made him one, they make such nice gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail, glad to have you look at my blog.

      Delete