Wednesday 10 April 2013

TISSUES, VIOLETS AND WHAT A WEEK SO FAR.

TISSUE

Why is it, if you accidently put a tissue in the washing machine, it looks more like you have dumped in the whole box.  Don't do it often, but oh, when you do, what a pain.

VIOLETS.

Even though the garden looks so forlorn, I found these violets and popped them into the old perfume bottle, that is waiting for them each autumn.  The azaleas that survived are flowering as well and my 3 maples are starting to turn to gold, copper and tan.

QUILTING.



This is the start of my moaning.  The quilt below has been waiting for a week now to be started.  I decided on the pattern and tried to order it, but because I have this new computer, I had lots of troubles.  Got that sorted, bought them and then couldn't unzip them.  Hurrah!!  At last yesterday it all fell into place, so that will be started this afternoon .


AN EASTER GIFT AND THE SCARF IN PROGRESS.

This little box of chocolates with the crocheted cosies is from one of my best friends who lives in West Yorkshire.  It was a lovely surprise and her crocheting is superb.
The scarf is coming along slowly.

Not been very productive over the last week or so due to some family upsets, but I decided I'd been going to change the wallhanging in the hall about every 6-8 weeks, so here is the current one.  I made this many years ago, from a pattern by Anje Townrow  from British Patchwork and Quilting.

Following is a picture of one of my azaleas and another of a banksia photographed near the beach on the Mornington Peninsular on Port Philip Bay.  These banksias feature prominently in a book by May Gibbs called "Snugglepot and Cuddlepie".  It is a lovely and very Australian children's book.


AZALEAS.












                                                         

                                                                                   BANKSIA.

All for now and may have something to show
early next week.  Have a lovely weekend.

7 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the family upsets, I hope things are better now. Where to start, such a lovely newsie post. Tissues, well, I often find them left in pockets, and then once they've been through the wash, they're in little bits and they leave an awful mess. The scarf is knitting up lovely, they're wonderful colours, and I love the crocheted cosies, how lovely to have something wing it's way over to you all the way from the place I live. I think it's really exciting getting things through the post, it doesn't happen nearly as often as it used to do now that we've got email. I haven't heard of Banksias before, such an unusual plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jo. I'll pop a photo on my blog of the banksia in seed and the cover of that book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I hate when a tissue gets into the washing - especially when I specifically ask everyone if they've been through their pockets! Grrr. Everything else looks great. I love the colours in the scarf! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susan,
    Thank you for your sweet comments on my Sew'n Wild Oaks blog. You are a "no-reply" status so I can't send you an email directly. You are so right about the tissue in the washer.....what a mess! Take good care, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the banksia also featured in Blinky Bill, but there he was a baddie called the Banksia Man. How could a plant with such a pretty flower be a baddie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When they go to seed they look very different. I'll take a picture and put it on the blog. In "Snugglepot and Cuddlepie", he was known as the Big Bad Banksia Man.

      Delete
  6. Violets - what a coincidence, at the weekend I was wondering if I could get some seed and grow plants for the Coppice?

    Tissues only get in our washing machine when Management forgets to empty his pockets ... There. Have. Been. Words ...... grrrrr

    ReplyDelete