Sunday 1 September 2013

POST 1 SUNDAY ---QUILT RETREAT

It seem ages ago now that we went to Bordertown for my Statler Quilt Retreat, but it was only last weekend.  It has been such a busy week, with viewings of our house and an Open Day yesterday.  I also fitted in an appointment on Monday, Doctor and a massage on Wednesday.  Hubby had both Wednesday and Thursday off, and as the 29th was a special day, I was taken out to lunch at Sky High Restaurant on Mount Dandenong for lunch.  I forgot to take my camera with me that day, so no pics I'm afraid.
Below are a few of the photos I took on my way to Bordertown, which I hope you'll enjoy.

The Pyrenees on the north side of the road as we are travelling west towards South Australia.
 Hubby did some touring on the Friday and took these lovely photos.  As I wasn't with him, I can only give short descriptions.
Buckingham Church.

A gravel road bordered by gum trees suffering dieback.

Wirrega Council Chambers,which were built in 1886 and used till 1904.  It has also been a private residence and Mundulla Tennis Club.

Rusty tin sculpture.
 He visited Clayton Farm Heritage Museum, run by local people and said he had a very interesting afternoon.
Below are just some of the photos he took.  The buildings were erected between 1876 until the 1930's.

Old utility  and other vehicles awaiting restoration.

Hollowed out log trough.

Old farm machinery (lots).

Old table in the shearing shed.

Wool shed built in 1901 from white gum tree trunks with a thatched rood.

Half an emu egg.

The Homestead.
 The photos below are all taken around Bordertown.
White kangaroos in a small reserve in Bordertown.  They aren't albinos and have been bred over the years from a white one discovered in earlier years.

Anne, this photo is for you.  Would you like one of these?  Only reason I'm in the photo is to show the size of some of these  farm machines.

A field of golden canola.  Rapeseed to those in the UK.
 The Retreat which was held at The Sanctuary ( a lovely house for the use of classes and getaways for crafty people) run by Judy.  Below is a photo taken by hubby of the six that were attending.

The girls at the Statler retreat.

Our rather messy table, but then we were all working, also chatting and watching educational DVD's.  Did some eating too.
The wonderful old fabric shop in Historic Mundulla. (near Bordertown)  The floor sloped every which way, because it probably needs re-stumping.  It made you feel quite seasick.  The lady who runs store is 75 and an absolute sweetie, so we had a lovely afternoon out on the Friday.
 Now on the journey home.

The Grampians which are to the south on our way home .

The skyline of Melbourne approaching from the west.  


Well, that is finally the post that I was going to try and do through the week.  I'll try and play catch up again during the week.  The weekend was great and I certainly learnt plenty just by listening to the others talking.
They are all very good long-arm quilters and very professional.  I am mainly a hobby quilter and only do small amounts for other people.  I stress way too much with someone else's quilt in my care.
Hope you have all had a lovely weekend.  Our weather has been superb and today is the 1st of Spring.
Take care, Susan.

10 comments:

  1. It was lovely to meet you Susan, thanks for coming. And great to see my town through the eyes of a tourist! The trees are sad, they call the disease Mundulla Yellows, but I believe it occurs in other regions of Australia also. Hope you come back again, and I don't think that the quilts that you piece and quilt are what you could call just a hobby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy, I loved meeting everyone and had a lovely time.

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos - wish I could have gone on the retreat with you - have to buy a staler first!! One day maybe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time you are in Oz, we could have our own retreat. After all we both have "big" machines.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the scenery. It's sad to see the gum trees like that but a beautiful picture nonetheless.

    I hope you enjoyed the retreat and that you've come back full of excitement to try new things.

    How are the viewings going?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure I've come back with ideas, as it looks like we have sold the house, so now it will be a mad rush to find something we like or decide to build. Oh boy, we've never sold so quickly before. Glad you liked the scenery.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. I bet Anne will love those big machines. She does seem to have a passion for them! :oD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice pics. I would love to go to a longarm quilting retreat. It's great to be in the company of like-minded people. It's great to catch up with you.

    ReplyDelete