Wednesday 26 February 2014

IN THE SEWING BOX?

A MESS!!!!!



My vintage sewing box.
This sewing box has lived beside my armchair for some years now and over the time between selling/renting/moving, it accumulated "STUFF".  I always keep my little stork scissors, (my kids saved and bought them for me as a birthday present when at uni and school), so are very special to me, needles, pins, tape measure etc.  But, it morphed into a lot more as seen below.

All laid out on the table for sorting.

Threads and thread keeper (present form Lucie the Happy Quilter), an embroidery and patterns for applique bears.

Pins, crochet hooks, stitch holders, needle threaders, a couple of knitting and crochet books (all quite old) and of all things, a Yorkshire Life Pub Guide.  I'm a teatotaller, so of course don't drink, but do know that UK pubs serve great food and have "atmosphere".

The caddy from inside with said scissors, pens/pencils and a very old needle case that I made at primary school when I was about nine.  A sketch book, sporting a half finished bird (freebie from magazine), a book mark made by my daughter, some ribbon and my faithful sewing clutch which also has a needle case to match.
There was also miscellaneous threads, fabric and even a hair clip.
Does anybody else have a sewing box or basket that seems to accumulate stuff?

Today has been a funny day with me just sort of pottering about and making some phone calls and psyching myself up for tomorrow.  I am off to Vision Australia's, Ballarat Day Centre and  do get quite stressed at meeting lots of new people, but enjoy volunteering and helping others, so wish me luck.  This centre does not do basket weaving or have a small radio station, but do have members that do patchwork and textile related craft, so that is OK.  One of the staff has even mentioned to the community radio station that I've done some volunteer work on the technical side, so may ring to see if they  need anyone and also, as the RSPCA is only a short drive away, may pop into there as well.

Best go and catch-up with either some sewing or crocheting and will post again soon, with maybe some garden photos and how I fair tomorrow.
Good night and take care all.
Susan.

6 comments:

  1. I have a very small sewing box which stays extremely tidy, the only reason being that it's hardly ever used. I much prefer my knitting needles to a sewing needle. Hope today goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You fit a great deal of stuff in that box. My bottomless pit is better known as my sewing room:) Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a basket beside my chair with all sorts of sewing and knitting stuff in it - it does collect all sorts of junk as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm like Joanna - my whole conservatory takes the place of your sewing box! Over here you'd pay a fortune in antique shops for a sewing box like that I know. I have looked at them occasionally, but haven't got room for one next to my chair in the living room.

    I hope the volunteering went well, but I bet it's tiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we all have a sewing box that looks a bit like that! I know I do. I hope your big day volunteering went well. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's not just a sewing box, is a treasure trove of memories by the look of it :}

    I'm like Sue, my sewing stuff takes over far more space :}

    ReplyDelete