Tuesday 29 April 2014

WOOPS! I FORGOT---------

Oh, dear I forgot to mention the name of the book I made my Little E's quilt from (the one with the ice skaters on it).


The book above, and I used a pattern from it called Stax.  Hopefully I'll soon find some backing and get it quilted and bound.
I have just sewn the binding on red/black/white quilt I made as a test pattern, so should start hand sewing that soon.

DESIGN IDEAS?
Now where do I start.  When someone comes up with a design, should we call it original or not.  I've made many quilts over the years and sometimes I use a pattern from a magazine or book, (always try to mention who and where), but then sometimes I plan for myself on graph paper and now also use a program called "Quilt Wizard" which was the precursor of Electric Quilt, which is a lot more complicated for the likes of me.
I've come to the conclusion that I will in future call something I feel I've thought of myself as a-
1.  Design idea.
2.  Design concept.
3.  Design variation and mention where I found the original and how I changed it.
How this all came about was a couple of things I've both read, and seen on the internet.  I'm sure there are times when lots of people come up with similar ideas all over the world, having never seen  them elsewhere and then there are also problems with names of quilt blocks, so give credit where it is due.  Enough of my ramblings.

Now below is a rather hazy photo of a design in my graph book, on which I based a quilt.  Many years ago I bought a panel of 8 Baltimore Blocks.  Not long after I went to a large Quilt Show in Melbourne and saw those blocks made up at so many of the shop exhibitors and couldn't believe that each one was just sashed with cornerstones and a simple border.  I decided I wanted mine different.

Graph paper design.  It is dated 2006/2007 (made) and quilted in 2008.

How it ended up and I called it "I Don't Do Baltimore"  (lol)

Does anyone else out there in blogland/quiltworld like using wacky backs on their quilts?

I made a small quilt with a block known as Lady of the Lake, eventually quilted it, but looked what I used on the back.


Do you think I should call it Lobsters in the Lake?
Well that is a funny old post, but I was a little miffed with myself for not mentioning the book at the top, which then got me thinking.  Sorry about the quality of the photos, but it has been a very dark, rainy day in this part of the world.  Hoping everyone has a great week and take care.
Susan.

10 comments:

  1. I nearly always make pieced backs, they are much more interesting :}

    Like the look of your French Braid book, that is not one I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make pieced back sometimes and am about to do one on Little E's quilt, but sometimes funky is fun. The book is really good.

      Delete
  2. Ha ha, I love that lobster backing. Perhaps you should call it 'What Lurks Beneath'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to play with fabric and I love your naming too. Fabric, wool, flowers, scenery, I just adore colours.

      Delete
  3. I think your stitch work is beautiful Susan. I called in our local wool shop in Wakefield last weekend as they had just moved to a new shop from the local market place. They have much bigger premises now so are offering all sorts of classes, quilting being one of them. I would love to go but just cant spare the time at the moment. I dont suppose I will ever make anything as beautiful as you but it would be nice to have a few ideas as to how things are put together.XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne, but hope you don't think I appliqued those flowers. They came as a panel. I love embroidery but am woeful at hand applique, but feel quite ok doing piecing as I wanted to be an architect, so love the geometric design process. What is the shop called and do they have a website? Please. Take care.

      Delete
  4. Oh boy, you do get creative with your backings and your quilt names. It shows your humor. I like your version of the Baltimore quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna, but a lot of my quilts aren't named, but something will come to me eventually. I've been quilting more or less for 36 years, and made lots of quilts, so maybe I should have a naming day and I do need to make labels for some. Labels go on all the ones I've given away.

      Delete
  5. I think your quilts are really gorgeous... both sides! I'd love to be able to quilt but making things with crochet squares seems to be the limit of my skills at the moment. I found your blog via Jo at 'Through the Keyhole'. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. If I have time I'll pop over to your blog too.

      Delete