Monday 2 February 2015

WEEKEND ROUNDUP ----- LATE!!

OK, I felt like I didn't really do much, but, yes I did.  Mostly the kind that is not too interesting.
SATURDAY.
Saturday morning saw me do some baking, as our bikkie tins need a top-up.  I made some peanut crinkle biscuits and a chocolate, rum and raisin slice,  This usually sees us through about just over a week, unless we get some visitors (rare).
After lunch the star quilt went on the machine and I managed to do a few rows before tea.

SUNDAY.
A bit of housework, then outside to try and rid the so-called front lawn of "dandelions", which seem to grow prolifically in these parts.  Down on hands and knees isn't so comfortable anymore, but at least it wasn't stinking hot although it is the middle of summer.  In fact, I came in and rang my granddaughter and found our weather station said it was only 12.3 deg outside.
After lunch, we decided to walk the next section of the rail trail, which we are doing bit by bit.  Off we went and the sky was looking slightly more overcast, and we set off, but didn't go as far as we hoped, because it started to drizzle.  Back where we'd started this part of our walk, was an information map of the Rainbow Bird Trail, so we decided to go for a drive instead.  We had our thermos and bikkies with us, so off we went.

Rainbow Bird Trail

We did the best we could with said information, but realised it was a very basic map and it did take some time to find it properly.  We stopped by a creek and had our cuppa, then carried on a way and found a sign to The Devils Kitchen, which is a strange geological formation causing a deep gully to cut through the countryside.  My photos aren't the best as the light was so poor.



We finally found the trail and followed the small green guide posts in all sorts of directions till I was scared we were lost in this very strange native tree forest.  The tracks were rough and I felt we were going round in circles.  We did see lots of rosellas flying about and quite a few kookaburras and frightened a few kangaroos too.

There have been many fires through this area, and this seems to have been one of the more recent ones.
You can see what I mean by it being a bit "spooky".  Finally as we really did think we'd never find our way back to a proper road, we came upon a small dam, then a parking area where there was another car.  Two ladies in said car were looking for mine workings as well and I suddenly pointed to a small rise and we all saw some brick pillar type things.  They were the base for some large water tanks that fed the cyanide plant.

Dam

Brick pillars
As it began to rain and was on its way to 5pm, we decided to go back another day to find the rest of the site.  I do find places like this fascinating and wonder who would work out here and how they coped.  It was called the  Historic Jubilee Mine Site.

Just a few more photos.

Hubby crafted a small key to hang his keys on, instead of them being on the laundry worktop.

Pattern leaflet for the scarf I'm knitting.  Wool and pattern were purchased from a lovely quilt shop in Tavistock in the UK, so both should be available easily for those in UK.
One last photo to show the sort of countryside we pass at times when we are walking the rail trail, which was line that ran from Ballarat to Skipton.  The next few sections should be quite interesting.

Open countryside.

Some calves for sale.

A wedge tailed eagle, a long way up by the time I grabbed the camera.  I'm a sucker for birds.
Not a productive weekend, but interesting all the same.
Hopefully by midweek, I'll have some craft to show, though I've been busy at night knitting or handsewing binding at the moment.  Also have one chapter left to read in The Yorkshire Shepherdess, which has been great.  I thoroughly recommend it, and found it written in a style where you feel you are being told the story without any editing, just as if Amanda was sitting beside you.
Take care all, have a great week.
Susan.

15 comments:

  1. Oh, I don't know, sounds like you have had a very busy and productive weekend :} You certainly achieved more than I did.

    See what you mean about the countryside in your area not being terribly green. I must stop teasing you and telling you to come back to the "green & pleasant land".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayne. I don't mind you telling me as I know that's where I'd like to be.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like a lovely weekend, it's nice to get out and about. It's been so cold here that I haven't fancied doing much at all. I see the scarf you're knitting is more of a shawl, something I've never made before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, the pattern on the front of the leaflet is a shawl, but the one I'm doing is on the back.

      Delete
  3. It is of course only just Monday morning here, so a great time for a weekend round up I would say! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, yes we are 11 hours in front of you at the moment, so the time difference makes it still your weekend if I post Monday morning.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for your comments on my harp post. If you'd like a longer 'harpy' chat then please leave your e-mail address and I will get back to you properly. It looks like you've had a really nice weekend. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan and I'm putting my email address on my post today, as I need the winner of my little give away to get in touch with me.

      Delete
  5. Interesting post, sounds like you were definitely busy :) Have a good week x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you had quite an adventure! I go past Devil's kitchen regularly to visit friends in Happy Valley.... not far from our house :) We also know the farmer who owns the land all around there.. interesting story, I'll tell you about it one day :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did Joy and I'll look forward to hearing the story.

      Delete
  7. It sounds like a lovely weekend to me, very full and productive. I enjoyed the photos of your local area, especially the woods and landscape - it's so different to what we have here. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian. Although different to UK, it's not as soft and serene. I must pop you an email soon.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for showing the detail of the pattern. I'll be ordering it tomorrow I think. Just one question about the yarn. Is it at all scratchy cos of the glittery bits?

    ReplyDelete