Wednesday 28 January 2015

MIDWEEK MUSINGS.

OK, so this week is shaping up better than last.
Monday saw me put nephew's quilt on the machine, ready to do a couple of rows.  As it isn't a large quilt, I just kept going and took it off late in the afternoon.

Close up of pattern.  I didn't want anything too structured because of the large light spaces and feel that it looks OK.

Slightly blurred photo of it on the machine.
I will show the finished article at a later date.

Tuesday started out so wonderful, it made my heart sing all day.  I readied myself early in the morning for a chat to a good friend via Skype.  It's only the third time I've ever tried and it was awesome.  Talking to somebody on the other side of the world and being able to see them, would have been unbelievable a few years ago.  Technology can be good, at times.
Later that day after doing some chores, I cut and made the binding for two quilts, then we took a birthday present and cake down to my friend Joy, whose birthday it is today.  She was out, but rang me later, to say thank you.

Wednesday saw me put both bindings on the quilts and sew a backing for another to go on the machine.  Am I on a roll?  Late in the afternoon, we decided to go and fetch some milk and cotton!  We needed milk and I needed cotton for the handsewing of the binding.  Didn't have colours to match either backing, so we took the thermos with us and sat near the Lake for a cuppa, but didn't venture out as it was blowing a gale.  Even the car shook every now and then.  Whilst in Spotlight to buy said reels of cotton, I came out with both of these.

Fabric and book!
The fabric is a twill type and for what ?  Maybe an apron or "something".  The book is by Barbara Cline, a Menonite lady who makes the most gorgeous quilts.  I have her other two books, but this one was sale priced at $5.  Bargain.  Naughty, naughty, as I don't really need any more fabric or books.

Now for a funny story.  Not sure whether I'm just contrary or stupid.  Many years ago, whilst still living in NSW, we used to go to Sydney to visit my parents.  At the time it was only about 1 1/2 hours drive and quite often I'd visit different quilt shops too.  One wasn't so much a shop, but the garage of a lady who sold fabric at discount prices.  This particular day, browsing the shelves, I noticed a bolt sticking out badly, which I thought might catch someones leg, so bent over to push it in, when a voice said, "OMG, you wouldn't dare buy that, it's disgusting".  Being me and not likeing to be told what I should like or not like, I bought 2 metres of it.  Got out to the care and said to hubby, "Oh dear, what have I done".  Showed him the fabric and he thought it rather bright and not me at all.
When we got home, I cut a little swatch and carried it in my purse for a long time, wondering what on earth I had done.  Well, maybe it took time, but this is what I eventually did with the "wacky" fabric.

This is the quilt and it will be going on the machine next.   Also,  see my lovely new quilt stand.
 Hubby has been working on this over the last couple of weeks.  It is made from timber he had on hand and made without any pattern.  He's having fun with his lathe and planning a few more things to keep himself busy.  Clever clogs isn't he?

Closeup of said fabric.
Well, as you can see, it's definitely been a better start to the week and now I'm off to do some of this.

A scarf I'm knitting for a special someone.  The wool and pattern were bought whilst in UK>  It really is pretty.

Hopefully over the weekend I'll have my challenge quilt out and get the last quarter done. I'll take some photos of it, the quilts I'm binding and the fabric for the baby quilts.  Hope all in blogland are having a great week too.
Take care and huggles,
Susan.

23 comments:

  1. It definitely sounds like you're having a better week so far. I had to laugh at your funny story, not sure I'd have bought something just because someone said I shouldn't, but you've definitely had the last laugh there. I love the quilt stand too, your hubby is very clever. Someone's going to be pleased with the scarf you're knitting, such pretty colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jo, I can be stupid at times, but I don't do it near as much now.

      Delete
  2. Ok so the fabric is a little different but you have certainly made the ugly duckling into a beautiful swan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mitzi, and our tastes change in fabric, because there is so much out there now. I do like the quilt too.

      Delete
  3. You have certainly been creative with that "different" fabric, it looks really good. Well done, and glad you have had a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,I can't wait to see it quilted. Just a nice simple pattern called Twinkle by Hermione.

      Delete
  4. I am suffering major quilt envy.... all your work is beautiful! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan, that is certainly some compliment.

      Delete
  5. I like the wacky fabric and what you made from it. I especially like the quilt stand your clever clogs hubby made for you. Keep up the great work Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucie, and I'll admit that I've bought wacky fabric before and after that, but maybe not so bright. There's so much out there these days.

      Delete
  6. The quilt stand is gorgeous and the cake was yummy!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy, you'll have to pop round and see it.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad you have had such a super week. Where would we be without technology? I am so glad you enjoyed our Skype - it was only my second time! My week has not been as good. Remember I was fidgeting about and said my back hurt? Woke up Tuesday morning almost unable to move. Back muscles gone into complete spasm. I know it will pass and it's a protective action by the body to protect whatever was twinging (that I was ignoring in the hope it would go away). Hey ho:}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayne, do hope your back is better soon and just wish I could be there to help. Is Daisy helping you? I'll email over the weekend. Take care, don't do too much and keep warm.

      Delete
    2. Daisy is no use whatsoever! Of course she doesn't understand why she's not been for a proper walk and has far too much energy which is not being used up :} Back a little better this morning, thanks.

      Delete
  8. I love what you did with the wacky fabric; it doesn't look wacky anymore, but just plain lovely. Nice quilt stand, too. Beautiful quilting, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna, we really appreciate your compliments. Take care.

      Delete
  9. Oh Susan, that is just the sort of thing that I would do!! I hate being told what to do!! You did really well with the fabric though, it goes beautifully on that quilt, it is nice to see something so bright! The quilt stand that your hubby made is wonderful isn't it, what a clever man. There is clearly a lot of talent in your home! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. I think we just like "doing". Can't think what it would be like with no hobbies and just sitting around.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  10. I love your fabric and how you used it .
    The quilt stand is wonderful, I wish my DH could do something like that in wood his lathe is a metalworking one, and steam engines are absolutely no use to me in quilting!
    Please could you also tell me the pattern name for your scarf?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. I'll pop a photo of pattern leaflet and tell the name of the wool tomorrow if that;s OK.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete