Tuesday 31 March 2015

GARDEN SHOW!!!!!!!!!!

Sunday was shaping up to be a lovely sunny, mild day so we packed some sandwiches and fruit and headed out the door for the train station.  We'd never been to a Garden Show before so decided it was time for us to see one.  Of course I always watch Chelsea if they record and show it on Australian TV and am always blown away by what I see.  This big one was on in Melbourne.  Catching the train saved finding somewhere to park and is quite relaxing .  This time it wasn't so good.  The train stopped between Ballan and Bacchus Marsh, went a little bit, stopped and so on.  Evidently the brakes kept coming on, so by the time we reached Bacchus Marsh, where we all had to get off, whilst they switched around the cars, it was nearly 9.30 and we should have been in Melbourne.  Finally reaching Melbourne after 10am, we had a quick coffee and caught the tram to Carlton Gardens.  To say I was disappointed was nearly an understatement.  It is nothing like Chelsea, with a handful of show gardens which you just look at from the path.  They are about 20' long and about 12' wide.  The hanging basket competition was pathetic, after seeing all the colourful baskets hanging outside pubs etc, in UK.  Probably the only upside was that I bought some bulbs to be planted some time soon.  I've now decided, been there, done that!
A couple of photos, though, I was even disappointed with these, but here goes.

I took this from the train window whilst waiting to get going again.

The only show garden photo I took, which was probably the only one with plenty of colour int it.

This was rather captivating and thought provoking.  These are all knitted and crocheted poppies.  We will be celebrating Anzac Day next month (25th April).

A mountain of pumpkins at The Diggers  Club stand, which is one of our well known nurseries.

Yesterday and today, I worked on the second baby quilt, which now just awaits a border.  I will take some photos of the two quilts through the week.  I also made a Chocolate Fudge Brownie slice and some Brown Sugar biscuits.  I found the latter recipe after doing some major decluttering.  I am in clean out mode at the moment, as I think this is what is hampering my mojo.  I made my first ever quilt in 1977 and have collected so many magazine clippings, books etc that I think I'm overwhelmed by all my "stuff", so am going through it big time and have also come up with the fact that I won't live to be 300 years old and use all the patterns.  I'll sort through again later this year and maybe make a scrap book of just the picture of the quilt or craft item and not keep all the instructions.  Good idea?  As I design a lot of my own quilts, I can usually put pen to graph paper and work it out from the photo.  I think I'll feel a lot better once it is done.

Oh, by the way,  we won the cricket.  I don't usually crow about it, but am just a little chuffed.  Sorry all!
We finish daylight saving time over the Easter weekend, so will only be 9 hours ahead of my blogpals in the UK and then I suppose I realise it really is autumn, even though the weather today is a complete contrast to last week, sunny and warm.
OK, that's my lot for today and should be able to post again later this week on quilting.  2nd April is our 38th wedding anniversary and we might just go and see the Shaun the Sheep film that has just started showing and have a good laugh.
A BIG THANK YOU for all your comments, but I've got a bit behind on replies.  I'll try and rectify that this time.  I do so appreciate them and feel very guilty not answering.  Please accept my apologies.
Take care and huggles, Susan.

14 comments:

  1. What a shame about the garden show, the photos you've taken make it look good so it's disappointing to hear that it didn't measure up to your expectations. Happy Anniversary for Thursday, have a good day and enjoy Shaun The Sheep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, but I think I've just read and seen too much about Chelsea and we just don't have the same sort of thing. I know I'll love Shaun and am looking forward to it. I've watched the TV ones with the grandkids a couple of times and laughed my head off.

      Delete
  2. Seeing your autumn pumpkins is so funny to me when I'm crocus hunting in the backyard:) Too bad your day trip was a disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you find those crocus and take some pics. I think they are so pretty and actually that was one of lot of my bulbs, so hope mine flower one day.

      Delete
  3. Ok, don't ever feel bad about not replying to comments, I see this so many times in blogland and really I have never seen anyone say that they mind if the blogger doesn't reply to their comments!! The pile of pumpkins is fantastic isn't it, what a massive amount of work that must have been. I guess that it would be very hard for any garden show to compare with Chelsea, it has been running for a very very long time now! Good to have a day out though! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm sure nothing could compare with Chelsea, but can you imagine all the pumkin soup, pie and scones you could make with that many of them (giggle).

      Delete
  4. It is something the Brits can do - garden shows, we were always disappointed in the ones in Africa. Think the climate makes a big difference, the UK is lucky that it has a temperate climate despite being on the same level as Moscow!!
    Don't feel pressured to reply to all comments or to even feel like blogging - do it because you enjoy it not because you feel obliged xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, UK is definitely lucky to have such a wonderful garden heritage.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on your wedding anniversary. I hope that, with the time differences - this comment will arrive on the day! All the best, Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan, and yes it did arrive on the day.

      Delete
  6. Happy Wedding Anniversary!!! Hope you had a good day and enjoyed the movie! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. Loved the movie and laughed so much, that I slept like a log last night. I did ring you yesterday, but you weren't home.

      Delete
  7. Happy Anniversary, hope you had a good day. :)

    ReplyDelete